DC are tips needed

Old January 24th, 2004, 01:55 AM
Gregory Morrow

Default DC are tips needed

Miguel Cruz wrote:

A little while ago I got a book from the library written in the 1930s by
some visitors to Bali, a travelogue and history of sorts. One of its
principal laments was that the huge influx of tourists in the 1930s was
ruining the character of the place.

I've got a _Fodor's Europe 1936_ - it says the same thing as your book about
Bali.

--
Best
Greg

Old January 25th, 2004, 03:16 AM
FLiP

Default wrldtrvlr RANT on DC are tips needed

wrldtrvlr I hope you enjoyed your RANT. Obviously you missed the fact that I
noted areas where my current knowledge was limited, but the areas I did
comment on I do have knowledge. Looking at your comments the only things you
added were a description of the area around the hotel and a list of
restaurants in the area. As to my comment of the area being paved over.
Compared to when I lived in the specific area, the bulk of the area from
Leesburg VA.to Kent Island MD., and Baltimore MD to Fredericksburg VA has
been over developed. The Springfield VA. interchange of I95, I395 and I495
is a traffic nightmare, to the extent most travel groups recommend by
passing the DC area entirely.
I do trips through and around the DC area several times a year and have
found that it just gets worse every year. When I have to go to downtown DC I
take the Marc and the switch to the Metro, costs less doing this than it
does to park in downtown DC for the day.

By the way you can have Boston, Tokyo I can not comment on.
Frank

Old January 25th, 2004, 10:12 PM
wrldtrvlr

"FLiP" wrote in message ...
[...]

Right you are about the ever increasing amount of developed area and

congestion in and around DC. The problem is twofold. One--both MD
and VA seem to have their heads in the sand regarding future
development and make no plans whatsoever for new roads in areas that
will obviously see intense development in the next 10-20 years.
Sometimes I think the people in charge must believe that all the new
residents will use transporter beams or something to get from one
place to another. The second problem is particularly acute in
Virginia and that is that new development is virtually always allowed.
Under Virginia laws very little can be done to either prevent it or
even force developers to make anything more than token contributions
to mitigate their impact on other public facilities (roads, schools,
etc.).
What does this have to do with travel usa.canada? Anyone driving
between the northeast and southeastern US has to be prepared to deal
with this mess. Might be more on topic to continue this conversation
on dc.urban-planning though.