LAX Hotels

Old April 24th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Smeeky

Default LAX Hotels

I'm looking for a decent, safe motel/hotel not to far from LAX for one
night. Will be arriving in afternoon during June prior to a driving trip
throughout Southern California. Shuttles not required as will have a rental
car. We're traveling with our 20 month granddaughter and don't want to go
to far (less 30 minutes) after the flight and the baggage and rental car
hassle.

TIA

Old April 24th, 2004, 02:30 PM
mrtravelkay

Smeeky wrote:

I'm looking for a decent, safe motel/hotel not to far from LAX for one
night. Will be arriving in afternoon during June prior to a driving trip
throughout Southern California. Shuttles not required as will have a rental
car. We're traveling with our 20 month granddaughter and don't want to go
to far (less 30 minutes) after the flight and the baggage and rental car
hassle.

How cheap? 30 minutes can get you quite a distance from LAX during off
peak times.
Where will you be heading first after your first night? You could spend
the 1/2 hour driving in that direction. This would affect my recommendation.
If you are looking for something with a free shuttle to LAX, that would
also affect my recommendation.

Old April 24th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Larry

Your request depends on the day of the week you arrive. Afternoon traffic
in LA..esp LAX corridor is extremely heavy. There are just too numerous of
hotels/motels in a 20 mile stretch to even recommend that fit your needs.
Personally, I would head down Sepulveda Blvd which runs just to the eastside
of LAX and goes in a North/South direction and would stay in one of several
places south of LAX. East of LAX is kinda trashy, though there are decent
motels there as well. If you are headed north, then Santa Monica would be a
good choice. Check several hotel sites such as www.choicehotels.com or
www.bestwestern.com as they are mid priced and have clean facilities.

Old April 24th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

"Larry" wrote:

Your request depends on the day of the week you arrive. Afternoon traffic
in LA..esp LAX corridor is extremely heavy. There are just too numerous of
hotels/motels in a 20 mile stretch to even recommend that fit your needs.
Personally, I would head down Sepulveda Blvd which runs just to the eastside
of LAX and goes in a North/South direction and would stay in one of several
places south of LAX.

I agree. Barnabies used to be a personal favorite - it's just south of the
airport on Sepulveda Blvd. As a bonus, there's a Fry's Electronics just across
the street.

Haven't been there in a few years though.
Old April 24th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Douglas W. Hoyt

I'm looking for a decent, safe motel/hotel not to far from LAX for one
night. Will be arriving in afternoon during June prior to a driving trip
throughout Southern California. Shuttles not required as will have a rental
car. We're traveling with our 20 month granddaughter and don't want to go
to far (less 30 minutes) after the flight and the baggage and rental car
hassle.

Simple! Book one at www.hotwire.com . Priceline is great too (and might
be a touch cheaper), but Hotwire is a bit more "bird in the hand" because
you can pick your approximate location, quality level, and know the price.
It's hard to go wrong with a 3 star place, but even 2.5 or 2 stars should be
plenty comfortable--they tend to be all major chain hotels with predictable
quality and amenities.

Old April 24th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Douglas W. Hoyt

Simple! Book one at www.hotwire.com . Priceline is great too ...

P.S.: before trying Priceline it's always worth looking at
www.biddingfortravel.com to see which hotel others have gotten at LAX and at
what price. Some recent winners include the 3-star LAX Hilton at $42 and
the 2-star LAX Homestead Studio Suites at $30 (add in about $10 for tax and
booking fee).

Old April 30th, 2004, 02:09 AM
Julie

"Douglas W. Hoyt" wrote in message
[...]

We booked online at Travelodge LAX from Australia and had no problems.
Typical 3 star - very clean - adequate brekky. Denny's onsite for a drink
and quick chain meal.

Although you don't need it, the shuttle was very good also.

We walked around the area to stretch out legs. Typical industrial area -
did not feel threatened at all.

Julie
Melbourne, Australia