Western Caribbean - Grand Princess

Old January 11th, 2005, 03:44 PM

Default Western Caribbean - Grand Princess

Hi -

I'm taking my family on the Grand Princess April 2 to see the Mayan
ruins of the Yucatan. Can anyone recommend any excursions in these
ports:

Belize
Altun Ha
Lamanai
Cahal Pech
Xunantunich

Majahual
Chacchoben
Kohunlich and Dzibanch=E9

Cozumel
Tulum
X-Caret

Grand Cayman
Any ideas on this one???

We'd like to see the most authentic ruins we can. Also we're
interested in some snorkling if that's possible (is Grand Cayman good
for this???)

Anyway any help you can give me would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Rob
:-)

Old January 11th, 2005, 05:44 PM
LES!

I was on this same cruise last month, and will be on the Grand with you on
4-2. (also taking her again next December).

I managed to sleep through Cozumel completely. My last time there, we
shopped downtown. That was pretty nice. But most people say that Tulum is
something everyone interested in ruins should see. I wish we were there long
enough for a trip out to Chichen Itza.

In Belize, I haven't done any of the ruins. I prefer to walk around town. In
April, we're considering Cave Tubing or doing a Xunantunich tour. Just for
the chance to climb the pyramid and seeing the pretty view into Guatemala
etc.

In Mahajual, my friend and I did Chacchoben. Very easy quick half day tour
to some ruins, and still having plenty of time to eat or shop or whatever
you want to do in Costa Maya (Mahajual is a short taxi ride from the pier).
I highly recommend this tour. It was very interesting. Even though there
were over 1000 people there when we were, we only ever saw our group (about
25 or 30 people). The flow is nice through there and we didn't get any
crowding problems. (I think they time it where one group enters about 10 -
15 minutes after the previous one)

In Grand Cayman, one of our cruise critic group had booked the stingray city
and reef snorkeling excursion independently. We missed that, and caught up
with Moby Dick Tours at the tender pier. They charged us $35 each and there
was a very small group onboard. If you book online, it's only $30
(www.mobydicktours.com). We're planning on doing this in April and possibly
again in December. You have a little time to shop before and after.
Everything in Georgetown closes at 5pm. We 're doing a back to back in April
with the Grand on 4-2 and the Conquest on 4-10 so we'll be back the
following week to shop. Not that there are any real deals in GC.

Let me know if there's anything else you want my *opinion* on.

LES!

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi -

I'm taking my family on the Grand Princess April 2 to see the Mayan
ruins of the Yucatan. Can anyone recommend any excursions in these
ports:

Belize
Altun Ha
Lamanai
Cahal Pech
Xunantunich

Majahual
Chacchoben
Kohunlich and Dzibanché

Old January 11th, 2005, 06:15 PM

I did the trip to Tolum two years ago. It was not a major city, but
there are substantial buildings and a beautiful site. All in all, it
was an interesting trip, and the area is small enough that you can see
it from an excursion.

On Grand Cayman, the turtle farm is interesting, and I have heard good
reports about Stingray City. I don't know how much damage was done to
the turle farm by the hurricane this year--I have heard conflicting
reports.

Old January 11th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Ray Goldenberg

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:30:07 GMT, Dillon Pyron
wrote:

The turtle farm was destroyed but untouched.

Hi Dillon,

That was good. g They should hire you to write their press
releases.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old January 11th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Charles

In article .com,
" wrote:

I'm taking my family on the Grand Princess April 2 to see the Mayan
ruins of the Yucatan. Can anyone recommend any excursions in these
ports:

I would not take a cruise to see the Mayan ruins of the Yucatan. You
won't have the time or opportunity to see the best like at Chitchen
Itza or Coba. However you should be able to get a small taste of the
ruins.

Majahual
Chacchoben
Kohunlich and Dzibanché

Just to warn you, I planned to see Chacchoben from Grand Princess but
because of rough water, could not dock and port cancelled.

Cozumel
Tulum
X-Caret

Tulum is interesting site to get a taste of the ruins. Warning long bus
trip with ferry trip to and from mainland. X-Caret is a theme park, not
Mayan ruins. I don't care for X-Caret but a lot of people like. High
admission fee and also is ferry ride to mainland and bus trip.

Grand Cayman
Any ideas on this one???

Snorkel with the stingrays. you can book it yourself with an
independent operator like Captain Marvin. Warning, a tender port and it
is often cancelled because of rough seas.

--
Charles