San Juan Excursion - Fajardo/Culebra

Old February 12th, 2006, 02:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default San Juan Excursion - Fajardo/Culebra

My wife & I are taking a cruise on the Royal Caribbean AOS on July 2 and
thinking of flying into San Juan either the prior Wednesday night or
Thursday morning. Thought was to get a lift to Fajardo and then take the
ferry to Culebra. I understand that for about $3.00 you can get a Publico
out of Rio Piedras and the trip, while a little long, can be a lot of fun ..
Sounds neat, but I want to be realistic -- we are both in our early 60's and
speak no Spanish -- is this plan stupid / risky or might this be a fun way
to see the counrty-side and meet local people???
I assume we would stay in a hotel/Inn at Fajardo one night and catch the
ferry the next morning -- any thoughts would be appreciated

Bill W.

Old February 12th, 2006, 02:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Bill" wrote in message
My wife & I are taking a cruise on the Royal Caribbean AOS on July 2 and
thinking of flying into San Juan either the prior Wednesday night or
Thursday morning. Thought was to get a lift to Fajardo and then take the
ferry to Culebra. I understand that for about $3.00 you can get a Publico
out of Rio Piedras and the trip, while a little long, can be a lot of fun
..
Sounds neat, but I want to be realistic -- we are both in our early 60's
and
speak no Spanish -- is this plan stupid / risky or might this be a fun way
to see the counrty-side and meet local people???
I assume we would stay in a hotel/Inn at Fajardo one night and catch the
ferry the next morning -- any thoughts would be appreciated

Where were you planning to stay in Fajardo? The only hotel I know of there
is the extremely expensive El Conquistador. It's a beautiful property. I
stayed there once. I'm not aware of any other place there... and be VERY
careful that you don't book one of the local Paradors. Corporate Travel
tried to put me in one many years ago... the place was like something out of
a Clint Eastwood Spaghetti Western... boards on the windows, guys hanging
off the front railing. If you go, stay at the El Conquistador. It will be
summer so prices will be less than half of the winter season pricing.

PS... I'd stay away from any public transportation I could before the cruise
just to minimize my risk of being around someone who might be sick. Add the
Spanish issue... and I'd say bad idea. Many of the more educated around the
San Juan area speak English, but the people who take public transportation
outside of San Juan likely will not speak English.

It's not a pretty drive either.

If you want to do it, rent a car and leave it at the El Conquistador when
you go to the island.

Old February 12th, 2006, 08:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

You're probably right -- a cab for $65 each way to/from the El Conquistador
might make more sense -- I notice (at biddingfortravel.com) that the cost at
that hotel via Priceline runs about $95-120/night -- not bad -- I
understand that Culebra is absolutely beautiful --- after having been to San
Juan a lot of times, and having done all the tours, including spending a day
in Ponce, be fun to see something a little different -- thanks for your
realistic input -- any other thoughts would be appreciated

Bill W.