Neighborhood to Stay in Taipei?

Old November 29th, 2005, 11:26 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

Default Neighborhood to Stay in Taipei?

What would be a good neighborhood to stay in for a first trip to
Taipei?

We like to stay in a very good hotel, then to walk around near the
hotel, and see shops and restaurants and tourist sights with the
flavor of the city.

We are not so interested in modern shopping malls or night life.

People have suggested to us to stay near the World Trade Center, but I
wonder if that area is just all modern like any big city. (I've never
been there so I don't know.) And the Grand Hotel looks exactly right
for us, but reviews on line say it's not easy to walk anywhere from
it.

Is there someplace more like what we want?
Old November 30th, 2005, 12:11 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

In article ,
says...
What would be a good neighborhood to stay in for a first trip to
Taipei?

We like to stay in a very good hotel, then to walk around near the
hotel, and see shops and restaurants and tourist sights with the
flavor of the city.

We are not so interested in modern shopping malls or night life.

People have suggested to us to stay near the World Trade Center, but I
wonder if that area is just all modern like any big city. (I've never
been there so I don't know.) And the Grand Hotel looks exactly right
for us, but reviews on line say it's not easy to walk anywhere from
it.

Is there someplace more like what we want?

See some photos of Taipei:
http://www.molon.de/galleries/Taiwan/Taipei/

I'm afraid such a neighbourhood does not exist in Taipei, at least I
didn't see one during my recent stay. Also, Taipei does not have too
many sights. A place like Seoul for instance has a lot more to offer.

I would stay near the Taipei 101 tower, which however is very modern.
But perhaps Jessie knows some better place.
--

Alfred Molon
http://www.molon.de - 6500 photos of Asia, Africa and Europe
Old November 30th, 2005, 03:31 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article ,
says...
What would be a good neighborhood to stay in for a first trip to
Taipei?

We like to stay in a very good hotel, then to walk around near the
hotel, and see shops and restaurants and tourist sights with the
flavor of the city.

I'm afraid such a neighbourhood does not exist in Taipei, at least I
didn't see one during my recent stay.

That is sort of what I thought, but I was hoping someone would know
something else.

Also, Taipei does not have too
many sights. A place like Seoul for instance has a lot more to offer.

And if it was not so cold in Seoul, or Shanghai, or Beijing, we would
have considered stopping over there instead.

I would stay near the Taipei 101 tower, which however is very modern.
But perhaps Jessie knows some better place.

Yes, Jessie suggested the same area. But I think the Grand Hotel may
be more our style, with old fashioned character. But not a good hotel
to walk from, I am told.

Thanks for your comments.