New Passport Rules Are Put Off by U.S.

Old September 13th, 2003, 03:03 AM
devil

Default New Passport Rules Are Put Off by U.S.

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:37:00 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

Blatt writes:

They said the new passport rules, which were supposed to take effect
on Oct. 1 and which were mandated by Congress as an antiterrorism
measure, will not be enforced until October 2004.

A postponement of more than a year. Long enough for it to be quietly
forgotten in the interim.

Except for Belgians?

Old September 13th, 2003, 11:12 AM
tim

Blatt writes:

They said the new passport rules, which were supposed to take effect
on Oct. 1 and which were mandated by Congress as an antiterrorism
measure, will not be enforced until October 2004.

A postponement of more than a year. Long enough for it to be quietly
forgotten in the interim.

Except for Belgians?

Actually it's except for everyone, unless your Government specifically
asks. Methinks that many wont

Tim

Old September 13th, 2003, 08:55 PM
Sjoerd

"tim" schreef in bericht

news

Blatt writes:

They said the new passport rules, which were supposed to take effect
on Oct. 1 and which were mandated by Congress as an antiterrorism
measure, will not be enforced until October 2004.

A postponement of more than a year. Long enough for it to be quietly
forgotten in the interim.

Except for Belgians?

Actually it's except for everyone, unless your Government specifically
asks. Methinks that many wont

Mainly because most countries *only* issue passports that *are*
machine-readable and have done so for a long time so there are *no* valid
non-machine-readable passports from those countries anyway.

Sjoerd

Old September 13th, 2003, 09:37 PM
Espar Rüggli

On 13/09/03 20:55, in article ,
"Sjoerd" wrote:

Mainly because most countries *only* issue passports that *are*
machine-readable and have done so for a long time so there are *no* valid
non-machine-readable passports from those countries anyway.

This is not true. Most UK passports are machine-readable.
http://www.ukpa.gov.uk/_history/history_10.asp
compa
http://www.britemb.org.il/consular/usa240703.html
Many other European countries have had difficulty producing new-style
passports. Switzerland is a notable example: demand for the 2003 model
passport has greatly outstripped capacity.
http://www.efd.admin.ch/f/dok/medien...03/03/pass.htm
Only since January 2003 have Swiss passports been machine-readable.
Other countries:
http://www.american-embassy.pt/press.release.html
http://www.passports.gov.au/
http://www.irelandemb.org/press/243.html
http://www.consulfrance-chicago.org/...passeports.htm
http://www.gouvernement.lu/salle_pre...8/12passeport/
and so on.

Old September 14th, 2003, 01:52 AM
devil

Blatt writes:

They said the new passport rules, which were supposed to take effect
on Oct. 1 and which were mandated by Congress as an antiterrorism
measure, will not be enforced until October 2004.

A postponement of more than a year. Long enough for it to be quietly
forgotten in the interim.

Except for Belgians?

Actually it's except for everyone, unless your Government specifically
asks. Methinks that many wont

Talking about the postponement. I believe the postponement does not apply
to Belgians.

Old September 14th, 2003, 03:36 AM
S Viemeister

devil wrote:

Talking about the postponement. I believe the postponement does not apply
to Belgians.

That is what the NY Times said, earlier this week. There have been
problems with Belgian passports - something to do with blanks being stolen,
I think?
Old September 14th, 2003, 03:58 AM
devil

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 22:36:59 -0400, S Viemeister wrote:

devil wrote:

Talking about the postponement. I believe the postponement does not apply
to Belgians.

That is what the NY Times said, earlier this week. There have been
problems with Belgian passports - something to do with blanks being stolen,
I think?

I suspect it has more to do with that law, now being changed, whereby they
might have found themselves in a situation of having to have GW judged as
a war criminal, if he ever would set foot there...

Old September 15th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Mika

Sjoerd wrote:

Mainly because most countries *only* issue passports that *are*
machine-readable and have done so for a long time so there are *no* valid
non-machine-readable passports from those countries anyway.

Not 100% true. For example, German temporary passports are of the old
'green' type and not machine readable as the new red ones. There are a
lot of people traveling on green passports. All those that check their
old passport a week before a trip and find out it has expired. You can
only get a temporary one isssued within a day or two.