Cornwall or Wales? (was England: Guided versus self-guided?)

Old September 15th, 2003, 01:52 AM
Dan Stephenson

Default Cornwall or Wales? (was England: Guided versus self-guided?)

In article .net,
Terry Richards wrote:

"Ron Audet" wrote in message
t...
"Owain" wrote in message

(Cornish is not used any longer)

Actually, Cornish is undergoing a bit of a revival and can now be spotted on
signs etc.

I make no comment as to whether this makes any sense or not

Terry.

But is it for real? I thought the native Cornish were killed off or
assimilated long long ago.

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from my 3-month European vacation:
Old September 15th, 2003, 04:36 AM
Terry Richards

"Dan Stephenson" wrote in message
In article .net,
Terry Richards wrote:

"Ron Audet" wrote in message
t...
"Owain" wrote in message

(Cornish is not used any longer)

Actually, Cornish is undergoing a bit of a revival and can now be

spotted on
signs etc.

I make no comment as to whether this makes any sense or not

Terry.

But is it for real? I thought the native Cornish were killed off or
assimilated long long ago.

The last *native* Cornish speaker died when I was in High School, some 30
years ago.

I don't know if there are any Cornish natives left. I'm not even sure what
would constitute a native Cornish person these days.

Terry.

Old September 15th, 2003, 10:05 AM
The Reid

Following up to Terry Richards

The last *native* Cornish speaker died when I was in High School, some 30
years ago.

I don't know if there are any Cornish natives left. I'm not even sure what
would constitute a native Cornish person these days.

I would think lots, farmers and fishermen there for generation
upon generation.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old September 15th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Terry Richards

"The Reid" wrote in message
Following up to Terry Richards

The last *native* Cornish speaker died when I was in High School, some 30
years ago.

I don't know if there are any Cornish natives left. I'm not even sure

what
would constitute a native Cornish person these days.

I would think lots, farmers and fishermen there for generation
upon generation.

I guess that this would be the case, I just don't *know*. How many
generations would be necessary? When can a population be said to be
assimilated? Should we differentiate between Anglo-Saxons & Celts? In my
*opinion*, once your language is gone, you cease to exist as a separate
people. Which brings us full circle - what constitutes "gone"? Does the
current Cornish revival constitute keeping the language alive? What is
Cornish for "Internet" anyway

Anyway, I suspect that there is probably only a small overlap between the
people trying to revive Cornish and those that have been there for
generations. Once again, this is only my opinion and is worth every penny
you paid for it

Talking of "generation upon generation", they managed to extract some DNA
from a caveman skeleton found in the caves at Cheddar gorge and found a
close relative in the neighborhood. He was a school teacher. Not a very
adventurous family

Terry.

Old September 15th, 2003, 12:52 PM
Tim Challenger

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:34:36 GMT, Terry Richards wrote:

What is
Cornish for "Internet" anyway

"Kesroswyth" apparently.
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.