[Bejing/money] What to bring as means of payment?

Old January 9th, 2007, 03:09 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Vincent Delporte

Default [Bejing/money] What to bring as means of payment?

Hello

I have a regular international MasterCard that lets me take
out 300 euros/week through cash machines, and I've raised the maximum
amount of payments to 4,500 euros/week during my trip.

Since I've had a problem the last time I travelled to the US (although
I had told my bank before leaving that I was travelling, they or Visa
blocked payments after just a couple of days, because they thought all
those payments were suspicious; Thank God for Western Union...), I'd
like to take other means of payment in addition to that credit card.

= Would you recommend I take out eg. 1,000 euros in cash before
leaving and change those in Yuan at the airport in Beijing, or should
I take traverler's checks in euros or US dollars?

Thank you.
Old January 9th, 2007, 03:14 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Maus

Most easiest thing is to use ATM's. (with your bankcard (not creditcard)
Was there in october, and used only ATM's throught whole china, very easy.
Although not every bank accepted my card, Bank of China always did.
How long do you want to stay/ what do you want to do with 1000 euros....that
is a lot of money in China...

Have Fun!

Maus

--
(\__/)
(O.o )

Old January 9th, 2007, 03:18 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Vincent Delporte

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 16:14:32 +0100, "Maus" wrote:
Most easiest thing is to use ATM's. (with your bankcard (not creditcard)
Was there in october, and used only ATM's throught whole china, very easy.

Thanks for the tip. Do hotels even in the $30-50/night take bank
cards, or should I expect to pay for this in cash?

If not, I'll just take a bit of cash for security, and pay everything
with the MC.

How long do you want to stay/ what do you want to do with 1000 euros....that
is a lot of money in China...

One week in Beijing, and if I'm not worn out, possibly change my
return flight from Beijing to Shanghai, and buy a Beijing-Shanghai
flight.

First time in China, that's why I prefer to play it safe :-)

Thanks.
Old January 9th, 2007, 09:35 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
David J Richardson

In article ,
Vincent Delporte wrote:

Most easiest thing is to use ATM's. (with your bankcard (not creditcard)
Was there in october, and used only ATM's throught whole china, very easy.

Thanks for the tip. Do hotels even in the $30-50/night take bank
cards, or should I expect to pay for this in cash?

The hotels will probably take credit cards.

But I'm struggling to work out why you need ~10,000 yuan for a week's
stay -- are you expecting to do some *major* shopping? That amount of
money is going to be a VERY thick wad! If you are indeed a big shopper,
expensive items will probably be best/easiest/safest bought with the
credit card anyway.

I can second the comment easy ATM access in Beijing, and indeed most
of the country. In Beijing, as noted, you will have Cirrus/Maestro
access at every Bank of China ATM (in the south of China, other banks
may be better for this).

--
David J Richardson --
http://davidj.richardson.name/ - Dr Who articles/interviews/reviews
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:13 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Vincent Delporte

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 08:35:09 +1100, David J Richardson
wrote:
But I'm struggling to work out why you need ~10,000 yuan for a week's
stay

I have no idea how much things cost. I'm used to Tokyo prices :-)

Non-luxury hotels seem to cost around $50 a night, so a whole week
with food + transportation should cost about $500, right?

I can second the comment easy ATM access in Beijing, and indeed most
of the country. In Beijing, as noted, you will have Cirrus/Maestro
access at every Bank of China ATM (in the south of China, other banks
may be better for this).

Great. I'll take some cash just to be safe.

Thanks.
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:14 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Spehro Pefhany

On 9 Jan 2007 16:11:30 -0800, the renowned "PeterL"
wrote:

Vincent Delporte wrote:
Hello

I have a regular international MasterCard that lets me take
out 300 euros/week through cash machines, and I've raised the maximum
amount of payments to 4,500 euros/week during my trip.

Since I've had a problem the last time I travelled to the US (although
I had told my bank before leaving that I was travelling, they or Visa
blocked payments after just a couple of days, because they thought all
those payments were suspicious; Thank God for Western Union...), I'd
like to take other means of payment in addition to that credit card.

= Would you recommend I take out eg. 1,000 euros in cash before
leaving and change those in Yuan at the airport in Beijing, or should
I take traverler's checks in euros or US dollars?

Changing money will cost you. Most savy travelers nowadays use ATM
cards. You'll get the best exchange rates. In big cities like Beijing
or Shanghai it would not be a problem at all. Just make sure you use a
bank ATM machine, not a private ATM machine. Also make sure you know
how much your bank charges for foreign ATM use.

I wouldn't be carrying 1,000 Eur in cash with me. Maybe 2-3 hundred
would be enough.
Thank you.

I don't think it's a bad idea to carry two different ATM cards,
preferably from different banks. That way if you have a problem
(including running up against daily limits) you can get more money
immediately and without hassles.

The largest note in China is only Y100 (less than EUR 10), so carrying
more than a couple of hundred Euros worth is troublesome. Bank of
China always works for me, and some of the others usually work too.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:15 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Vincent Delporte

On 9 Jan 2007 16:11:30 -0800, "PeterL" wrote:
I wouldn't be carrying 1,000 Eur in cash with me. Maybe 2-3 hundred
would be enough.

OK. I'd rather keep some cash because I've had my card blocked once
while travelling to the US, and ended up having my parents send cash
ASAP through Western Union :-/

Thanks.
Old January 10th, 2007, 06:07 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

Vincent Delporte wrote:
On 9 Jan 2007 16:11:30 -0800, "PeterL" wrote:
I wouldn't be carrying 1,000 Eur in cash with me. Maybe 2-3 hundred
would be enough.

OK. I'd rather keep some cash because I've had my card blocked once
while travelling to the US, and ended up having my parents send cash
ASAP through Western Union :-/

That happened to me too, and I am an American and was traveling within
the US. Since then I always call my credit card company to inform them
that I'll be traveling.

Thanks.

Old January 10th, 2007, 07:04 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon

In article , Vincent
Delporte says...

I have no idea how much things cost. I'm used to Tokyo prices :-)

Non-luxury hotels seem to cost around $50 a night, so a whole week
with food + transportation should cost about $500, right?

You can easily find middle class hotels in Shanghai for 200-300 yuan.
Probably also in Beijing, although in Beijing I stayed in more upmarket
places.
--

Alfred Molon
Old January 10th, 2007, 10:37 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
A Mate

I suppose that if you made arrangements with 'Visa' for a 'regular
international MasterCard' - you would have problems.

Visa uses the Plus network; MasterCard - Cirrus.

The 2 cards compete vigorously in most markets!