Hotel rooms

Old December 24th, 2009, 10:06 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

Default Hotel rooms

When we cruised over thanksgiving we had a room at comfort suites for
$79.00 including taxes,i just priced same room for jan 29th 2010 and
they want $269.00 not including 11% tax. This is obscene

cruise lover(~~~~~)

..

Old December 24th, 2009, 10:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
frijoli[_5_]

Surfer E2468 wrote:
When we cruised over thanksgiving we had a room at comfort suites for
$79.00 including taxes,i just priced same room for jan 29th 2010 and
they want $269.00 not including 11% tax. This is obscene

cruise lover(~~~~~)

.

It's called supply and demand.
Would you prefer to pay 269 all the time? I didn't think so
and neither does anyone else, however on the date you chose,
some will.
Old December 24th, 2009, 11:18 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonny

"frijoli" wrote in message
Surfer E2468 wrote:
When we cruised over thanksgiving we had a room at comfort
suites for
$79.00 including taxes,i just priced same room for jan 29th
2010 and
they want $269.00 not including 11% tax. This is obscene

It's called supply and demand.
Would you prefer to pay 269 all the time? I didn't think so and
neither does anyone else, however on the date you chose, some
will.

Yes, that's good old Econ 10. In that same lesson, we learned the
concept that profits draw competition and excess profits draw
ruinous competition. Remember that, also? The hotel business is
kinda like an oligopoly, but one where entry is blocked by
economics rather than restrictions imposed by government or
contract. We see it here in Las Vegas all the time when a
convention is in town, and it's particularly true when there's the
tremendous inventory of rooms on the market, now. They're even
finishing up the exterior of a tower, but not doing anything
inside until the glut is absorbed. The real downside to it is
that when a conventioneer is tapped $400 for a room he could have
had for $75 the week before, it tends to irritate him and he
carries that grudge when someone says, "Hey, let's go to Las Vegas
next weekend!"

The fun part starts when there are more rooms in inventory than
will ever be rented to the 95% or so level. We're way past that
right now and even with no new construction or interior finishes,
that'll continue for probably the next decade. The same gentle
folk crunching numbers in the back room of MGM, Bally's, Bellagio
etc. to determine how bad to tap some conventioneer are now faced
with the good possibility that he'll stay at some other hotel with
good rates and just take the monorail to the convention hotel.

I have a friend coming to LV for a convention in just a few
months. He emailed me to find out what hotels were within walking
distance of the convention hotel, since he knew he could get a $79
room rather than the $350 the convention hotel wanted that week.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Old December 24th, 2009, 11:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
frijoli[_5_]

Nonny wrote:

"frijoli" wrote in message
Surfer E2468 wrote:
[...]

Agreed it is economics 101, and your whole example showed
what greed does to the people who don't get it. there is a
limit, and sometimes they cross it.

Clay
Old December 25th, 2009, 02:27 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jack Hamilton[_1_]

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 15:18:55 -0800, "Nonny" wrote:

I have a friend coming to LV for a convention in just a few
months. He emailed me to find out what hotels were within walking
distance of the convention hotel, since he knew he could get a $79
room rather than the $350 the convention hotel wanted that week.

I'll be at a convention in Las Vegas in April 2011. Glad to hear that I
will be able to find much better prices.

Perhaps you could go on a cruise that week so we could have a party at
your house?

Old December 25th, 2009, 05:51 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonny

wrote:

I have a friend coming to LV for a convention in just a few
months. He emailed me to find out what hotels were within
walking
distance of the convention hotel, since he knew he could get a
$79
room rather than the $350 the convention hotel wanted that week.

I'll be at a convention in Las Vegas in April 2011. Glad to
hear that I
will be able to find much better prices.

Perhaps you could go on a cruise that week so we could have a
party at
your house?

Sounds great. I'll put the key under the mat for ya'

Have a good Christmas.

Old December 25th, 2009, 05:58 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
I'm Not Here

"Surfer E2468" wrote:
When we cruised over thanksgiving we had a room at comfort suites for
$79.00 including taxes,i just priced same room for jan 29th 2010 and
they want $269.00 not including 11% tax. This is obscene

Is this Florida? A friend of mine is leaving from Port Everglades in
early February and is having problems finding a room. Something to do
with a Super Bowl in Miami.

Old December 25th, 2009, 07:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

RAY:
We priced the room for march 5th or 6th,and they want the same
rate,priced holiday inn express and they only want $93.00

cruise lover(~~~~~)

..