New England fall foilage

Old January 10th, 2010, 07:46 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Segue[_2_]

Default New England fall foilage

We are thinking of a cruise in the fall to see the New England foilage.
Have never been to New England in the fall -- seeking advice as to whether a
cruise is the best way to do this or would a driving vacation be better?

Thanks!

Old January 10th, 2010, 11:29 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Seehorse Video

"Segue" wrote in message
We are thinking of a cruise in the fall to see the New England foilage.
Have never been to New England in the fall -- seeking advice as to whether
a cruise is the best way to do this or would a driving vacation be better?

Thanks!

If you're from an area without fall color, a cruise at the right time would
be beautiful. In my area, Indiana, prime color is dependant on the weather
and hard to predict. There is some color for a month. I don't know if that
would diminish a "fall color cruise" by having trouble predicting the right
week to travel. New Englanders could tell you if driving would be
significantly better for that reason. Of course, a cruise is always good.

Harry Cooper

Old January 10th, 2010, 03:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Segue" wrote in message
We are thinking of a cruise in the fall to see the New England foilage.
Have never been to New England in the fall -- seeking advice as to whether
a cruise is the best way to do this or would a driving vacation be better?

Thanks!

We did a Fall Foliage sailing a few years back. It was a wonderful trip
with regard to the places we visited (Newport, Quebec, Saguenay River Fjord,
Halifax) but it definitely was NOT a good sailing from a beautiful foliage
perspective. You're pretty far out to sea much of the time, so you don't
see any foliage, and once up near Halifax/Sydney and the St. Lawrence
Seaway, most of the trees are evergreens. And the St. Lawrence is so wide
that you don't see the land on the sides much. The only place we saw nice
foliage was Quebec. But that's already much further south compared to where
you turn into the St. Lawrence from the Atlantic.

If you want beautiful foliage, I vote driving vacation. Though make sure
you get to Quebec. I loved Quebec. Beautiful city.

--Tom

Old January 10th, 2010, 03:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Seehorse Video" wrote in message

"Segue" wrote in message
We are thinking of a cruise in the fall to see the New England foilage.
Have never been to New England in the fall -- seeking advice as to
whether a cruise is the best way to do this or would a driving vacation
be better?

Thanks!

If you're from an area without fall color, a cruise at the right time
would be beautiful. In my area, Indiana, prime color is dependant on the
weather and hard to predict. There is some color for a month. I don't
know if that would diminish a "fall color cruise" by having trouble
predicting the right week to travel. New Englanders could tell you if
driving would be significantly better for that reason. Of course, a
cruise is always good.

Harry Cooper

Timing is not the issue, it's that you're way too far out at sea, or way too
far north much of the time. Once up near Halifax/Sydney and around the top
of the St. Lawrence most of the trees are evergreens. The only place we saw
beautiful maple trees was Quebec. And many Fall foliage sailings don't even
go to Quebec.

--Tom

Old January 10th, 2010, 04:00 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Thumper

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 07:46:55 GMT, "Segue" wrote:

We are thinking of a cruise in the fall to see the New England foilage.
Have never been to New England in the fall -- seeking advice as to whether a
cruise is the best way to do this or would a driving vacation be better?

Thanks!

I'm from Western Massachusetts. No cruise will show the foliage like
driving. Why not take in the Berkshires and some historical places
like Concord/ Lexington as well as many of the old whaling towns?
Thumper

Here's a few sites that will help you plan a trip. You should book
hotels well in advance.

http://www.yankeefoliage.com/slides/

http://gonewengland.about.com/cs/fal...ltrvelplnr.htm

http://www.visitnewengland.com/curre...nies_list.html

Old January 10th, 2010, 04:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joe C

Amtrak runs a train thru the Adirondacks that goes to
Montreal. You can time it just right for color. It might be
worth a try. I heard there are some fantastic views.
Joe

Old January 10th, 2010, 05:19 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Joe C" wrote in message
Amtrak runs a train thru the Adirondacks that goes to
Montreal. You can time it just right for color. It might be
worth a try. I heard there are some fantastic views.
Joe

The Montreal train used to run at night.

From Wikipedia: Amtrak's Vermonter is a 611-mile (983 km) passenger train
service between St. Albans, Vermont, New York City and Washington, D.C. One
trip runs in each direction per day. The train replaced the overnight
Montrealer which terminated in Montreal, Canada. When the Montrealer route
was threatened with cancellation due to budget cuts, the State of Vermont
stepped in to subsidize service as far north as St. Albans, near the
Canadian border.

It sound like it might be a good option even though it doesn't go to
Montreal.

--Tom

Old January 10th, 2010, 09:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

We never take a new england cruise for viewing the foliage,since we have
beautiful scenery right here in south jersey in the fall.

cruise lover(~~~~~)

..

Old January 11th, 2010, 03:21 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Segue[_2_]

"Tom K" wrote in message

"Segue" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you Tom and everyone else who responded. This was exacly the
information we need!
For fall foilage we will drive, and save the cruising for another time and
place.

Have a happy New Year, all,
Segue