NAAFA's Airline Tips for Fat People

Old September 11th, 2003, 12:08 PM
Mxsmanic

Default NAAFA's Airline Tips for Fat People

The Reid writes:

I think its normal. Quite a while after not eating though. I
think I read after a time your body starts using body fats and it
stops, I think?

Blood glucose drops rapidly, over the course of half an hour or so.
Glycogen--starchy stuff stored mostly in the liver--is burned to produce
more glucose, which is a simple process. There is enough glycogen in a
fully fed person to provide about 2000 kcal. When this is exhausted,
the body must resort to other means of providing glucose, including
temporary sacrifice of muscle, and glucose levels drop while this
adaptation is carried out. This can cause a feeling of fatigue. Under
normal conditions, this takes almost all day to happen, and most people
will eat before it occurs. In marathon runners, it may occur after only
an hour or so (when they hit the "wall," if I'm not mistaken). After a
few days of fasting, the body manages to get the brain used to ketones,
and the fatigue goes away.

Immediate fatigue and weakness after a heavy meal is due to the
"postprandial dip," a drop in blood glucose caused by the automatic
release of insulin to control a rise in glucose after the eating of a
heavy meal. The effect is usually mild; it is this effect that
encourages many people to take a brief nap after a big lunch. It is
physiologically normal. In people with impaired glucose metabolism,
though, it can be much more dramatic.

Hypoglycemia (that is, low levels of blood glucose) in general produces
fatigue, headache, weakness, nausea, etc., depending on how severe it
is. Mild hypoglycemia, such as that seen in the postprandial dip, is
often asymptomatic.

Old September 11th, 2003, 12:20 PM
Martin W. Smith

Mxsmanic wrote:

The Reid writes:

I think its normal. Quite a while after not eating though. I
think I read after a time your body starts using body fats and it
stops, I think?

Blood glucose drops rapidly, over the course of half an hour or so.

By your own claims, this doesn't happen to healthy people.

martin

--
Draft Wesley Clark for President!
www.DraftWesleyClark.com

Martin Smith email:
Old September 11th, 2003, 01:08 PM
The Reid

Following up to Mxsmanic

In marathon runners, it may occur after only
an hour or so (when they hit the "wall," if I'm not mistaken).

I'm far from convinced about "the wall", I have never experienced
it, nor have the other marathon runners I know. I suspect it may
occur when you are not sufficiently trained and your muscles can
no longer cope with things like lactic acid build up, rather than
being about lack of fuel?
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old September 11th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Martin W. Smith

The Reid wrote:

Following up to Mxsmanic

In marathon runners, it may occur after only
an hour or so (when they hit the "wall," if I'm not mistaken).

I'm far from convinced about "the wall", I have never experienced
it, nor have the other marathon runners I know. I suspect it may
occur when you are not sufficiently trained and your muscles can
no longer cope with things like lactic acid build up, rather than
being about lack of fuel?

I've seen it happen on tv to champion triathletes.

martin

Old September 11th, 2003, 03:18 PM
The Reid

Following up to Martin W. Smith

I'm far from convinced about "the wall", I have never experienced
it, nor have the other marathon runners I know. I suspect it may
occur when you are not sufficiently trained and your muscles can
no longer cope with things like lactic acid build up, rather than
being about lack of fuel?

I've seen it happen on tv to champion triathletes.

Perhaps you have to be a champion. Did he/she say they thought
they had run out of fuel as opposed to exhaustion? How long was
the event?
Old September 11th, 2003, 03:28 PM
Mxsmanic

Martin W. Smith writes:

By your own claims, this doesn't happen to healthy people.

I didn't say it drops a lot, I only said that it drops rapidly. Blood
glucose drops continuously if it is not replenished.

Old September 11th, 2003, 03:29 PM
Mxsmanic

The Reid writes:

I'm far from convinced about "the wall", I have never experienced
it, nor have the other marathon runners I know. I suspect it may
occur when you are not sufficiently trained and your muscles can
no longer cope with things like lactic acid build up, rather than
being about lack of fuel?

Maybe. But it sounds exactly like the expected symptoms of an
exhaustion of glycogen stores. It would suddenly become much harder to
produce glucose, so that might produce a sudden fatigue when doing
strenuous exercise. Of course, if you can store enough glycogen to go
the entire distance, this is not a problem.

Old September 11th, 2003, 03:49 PM
GW

The Reid wrote:

Following up to Mxsmanic

In marathon runners, it may occur after only
an hour or so (when they hit the "wall," if I'm not mistaken).

I'm far from convinced about "the wall", I have never experienced
it, nor have the other marathon runners I know. I suspect it may
occur when you are not sufficiently trained and your muscles can
no longer cope with things like lactic acid build up, rather than
being about lack of fuel?

I've experienced it. Do you eat a lot of glucose gel when
you run? If so, you may be avoiding it. I think it's
related to severely low blood glucose levels and the
resulting brain chemistry deficiencies.

miguel
Old September 11th, 2003, 05:39 PM
The Reid

Following up to GW

I'm far from convinced about "the wall", I have never experienced
it, nor have the other marathon runners I know. I suspect it may
occur when you are not sufficiently trained and your muscles can
no longer cope with things like lactic acid build up, rather than
being about lack of fuel?

I've experienced it. Do you eat a lot of glucose gel when
you run? If so, you may be avoiding it. I think it's
related to severely low blood glucose levels and the
resulting brain chemistry deficiencies.

no, I never did anything special about diet.
Old September 12th, 2003, 07:49 AM
Martin W. Smith

Mxsmanic wrote:

Martin W. Smith writes:

By your own claims, this doesn't happen to healthy people.

I didn't say it drops a lot, I only said that it drops rapidly. Blood
glucose drops continuously if it is not replenished.

You did, actually. You said: "Blood glucose drops rapidly, over the
course of half an hour or so." If it drops rapidly over a half hour, it
drops a lot. It can't drop rapidly for a half hour without dropping a
lot.

It can drop rapidly for 30 seconds without dropping a lot, or it can
drop slowly for a half hour without dropping a lot, but if it drops
rapidly for a half hour, it drops a lot.

martin