When to buy air for October travel?

Old February 29th, 2004, 01:52 AM
Javaman

Default When to buy air for October travel?

A small group (5) of us want to fly from SEA to MUC in October. Currently
things look about $800 R/T for each.
Should we book now or wait? If we wait until closer to the date, WHEN do
fall fares generally go
on sale? Are there any downsides to waiting? I want to avoid US Air if
possible (just in case!). Is that wise?
Any advice or comments would be appreciated.
THANK YOU in advance!!!

Old February 29th, 2004, 03:20 AM
Steve

consolidator fares are available now in the 600 dollar range with tax and
fees included.

fly midweek if you can
shop at least 3 and better 5 sources
buy when you see a price you want to pay
(before someone else does)

since Europe now has 52 low fare carriers, you could also watch for an
unusually good sale to other airports and take a cheapy flight or rail or
bus to Munich

having said all that, I don't hold much hope for you to wangle a total trip
price appreciably less than 600 dollars but you have a little time - so shop
and hope

Old February 29th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Hatunen

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 17:52:28 -0800, "Javaman"
wrote:

A small group (5) of us want to fly from SEA to MUC in October. Currently
things look about $800 R/T for each.
Should we book now or wait? If we wait until closer to the date, WHEN do
fall fares generally go
on sale? Are there any downsides to waiting? I want to avoid US Air if
possible (just in case!). Is that wise?
Any advice or comments would be appreciated.
THANK YOU in advance!!!

I thought I ought to mention, in case it's relevant, that
Oktoberfest is in September.

Old February 29th, 2004, 05:57 AM
mtravelkay

wrote:

A small group (5) of us want to fly from SEA to MUC in October. Currently
things look about $800 R/T for each.
Should we book now or wait? If we wait until closer to the date, WHEN do
fall fares generally go
on sale? Are there any downsides to waiting? I want to avoid US Air if
possible (just in case!). Is that wise?
Any advice or comments would be appreciated.
THANK YOU in advance!!!

I thought I ought to mention, in case it's relevant, that
Oktoberfest is in September.

But if he goes then, the fares will be even higher...

Old February 29th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Javaman

"Hatunen" wrote in message
I thought I ought to mention, in case it's relevant, that
Oktoberfest is in September.

Actually, we are going just after it ends, intentionally to miss it!
But thanks for your thoughts!

Old February 29th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Ryan S

Hi,

A friend and I just booked tickets from SEA - Frankfurt for June.
Most tickets to Frankfurt were over $1,000, but we found a roundtrip
SEA-LON on Travelocity for $550 on United. Then we bought a roundtrip
LON-FRA on British for $150, costing a total of $700. In other words,
you might consider a roundtrip to London or another city and then
buying a cheap ticket from there. It seems that Germany is fairly
expensive for air travel.

BTW ... I think a good source for cheap tickets is Travelocity, and
searching a date range for best fares. I just checked and right now
British Airways is selling the SEA-LHR nonstop flight in October for
$575. Could get cheap tickets to MUC from there ...

Old February 29th, 2004, 10:54 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Just be careful when packing. The restriction on the LON-FRA segment
will determine what your baggage allowance is. FFM

Old March 5th, 2004, 01:05 PM
S. Hoffmann

I am planning to fly from New York to Vienna, also in October. I would
like to know what "ballpark" fare I might expect to pay. Orbitz has $598
right now for United to/from London and Austrian Airlines from London to
Vienna and back. This is for Friday night to Sunday two weeks later. Or
if my husband and daughter can fly midweek we can get $578. Is the fare
likely to get any lower? When might it be going down? Any thoughts
welcome. Thanks for your help!

--
Susan Hoffmann

Old March 5th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Miguel Cruz

S. Hoffmann wrote:
I am planning to fly from New York to Vienna, also in October. I would
like to know what "ballpark" fare I might expect to pay. Orbitz has $598
right now for United to/from London and Austrian Airlines from London to
Vienna and back. This is for Friday night to Sunday two weeks later. Or
if my husband and daughter can fly midweek we can get $578. Is the fare
likely to get any lower? When might it be going down? Any thoughts
welcome. Thanks for your help!

It will definitely be lower at some point between now and then, probably at
or below $400 for midweek travel. The question is whether or not you are
willing to spend the time keeping up with the fares so you can strike during
the possibly brief period when the fare is down there.

It can take a lot of effort and unless you enjoy it as a hobby, and don't
mind the gambling aspect, it may not be worthwhile.

As an example, I am flying from DC to Amsterdam in a few weeks. The fare was
$450 for a long time. Recently it hopped to $550 and hovered around there. I
checked several places a few times a day, and last night happened to catch
it at $360 and grabbed it. Now I see it's up to $570.

Still $400 from New York.

October fares are similar to April, and while Vienna is usually a little
more than Amsterdam, there will be a sale at some point where they're the
same price (or very close).

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old March 12th, 2004, 03:40 PM
S. Hoffmann

Thanks for the advice, Miguel. I guess we will buy when the Discover
balance is likely to be lowest! 8-)

--
Susan Hoffmann