Current passport turnaround time 3 weeks

Old February 2nd, 2010, 03:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball[_2_]

Default Current passport turnaround time 3 weeks

Happy 2010, cruisers!

We just got a passport turned around in exactly 3 weeks--Jan. 11 drop
off to Feb. 1 mail delivery. Good work!

My favorite tip for Texans is to go to your county clerk for
passports--never had a line yet, and they're open M-F 8-5 vs.
presenting at the USPS during their limited windows of time. Don't
know if that service is available in other states, but you can check
it out via the passport office locator at the State Dept.'s Passport
site: http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

Parents of travelin' kids, I learned something new this time: 16 is
the magic age for a child to get an adult's 10-year passport (vs. a
child's 5-year passport). In addition to extended validity, adult
status means there's no need for both parents to appear! They do treat
the first adult passport as an original application and not a renewal
of a passport issued while under 16; so your teen has to go through
the full "first time" process.

Oh, and watch out for washers and dryers! Our son's passport went
through the laundry--oops! Amazingly, the important data pages (and
even entry stamps) survived relatively unharmed, but the cover
separated from the "book" and was in bad shape. Unfortunately, this
happened right after one international trip, with less than two weeks
to go 'til the next. So we decided to wing it (rationalizing he was
just a kid and traveling with both natural parents, so where's the red
flag?). No one batted an eyelash...except for one very unhappy and
inflexible passport control officer, who couldn't believe we had the
audacity to present it and loudly railed on for the longest 5 minutes
ever! Thankfully, the commotion drew her supervisor's attention, and
to her dismay, he let us enter. (And thankfully, this passport was
about to expire, so we didn't have to needlessly invest the time/money
in a replacement.)

Happy trails to all,

Diana Ball
Austin, TX
Old February 4th, 2010, 08:43 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Susette

Hi Diana!!

My Sig other is in Austin right now at a place called Lost Pines
Resort- he saiod it is lovely.

BUT he is trying like the dickens to get a air ticket his company
issued changed asue he coming home to a snow storm!

Here In south NJ the best place t go is to the mall we have something
called the COUNTY STORE
It is terrific to get papers like Passports done! easy and the gals
there are friendly and very convenient

Susie

Old February 4th, 2010, 10:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

SUSIE:
Know what you mean by the COUNTY Store,we use it here in burlington
county,and they are great.

cruise lover(~~~~~)

..

Old February 5th, 2010, 12:37 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kenn Smith

Sue, if he's at Lost Pines Resort he is about 30 miles east of Austin in
Bastrop. It is a lovely resort with a great golf course, but it's too
cold for normal humans to play right now - highs in the low 40's daytime
and raining. In my younger (and dumber) years I might have given it a
shot if I was staying at a really good course but no longer.

Old February 5th, 2010, 03:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mark (SF)

Glad you prevailed.
Also glad to hear of the turnaround. I mailed our passports for
renewal two weeks ago. I see that the checks were cashed early last
week.

Mark

Old February 5th, 2010, 05:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball[_2_]

On Feb 4, 2:43*pm, Susette wrote:
Hi Diana!!

My Sig *other is in Austin right now at a place called Lost Pines
Resort- he saiod it is lovely.

Hi, Susette, always fun to hear from you! I think your Vikings 2010
plan sounds like a lot of fun!

Yes, as Kenn said, the Lost Pines resort (a Hyatt) is a very nice
place right outside of Austin. Beautiful setting. It is too bad he saw
it right now. We are suffering what I call "London weather"--can't
complain compared to all of the harmful winter storms, but cold, wet
and gray = dreary!

Hope he made it home safely.

Diana