New luggage - how often?

Old November 6th, 2008, 04:05 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Babie

Default New luggage - how often?

Curious how often you all buy new sets of luggage?

When I first started cruising, I borrowed luggage. For my second cruise I
bought a set of American Tourist (or whatever)

I had that for about a year and a half. I then bought a new set while I was
in Cozumel in Feb 2007. Between the full sets I'd also bought a few smaller
carry on rolling cases. But nothing ever seemed to last.

I just bought a 3 piece set of Heys hard sided luggage. It has a warranty
(either 5 or 7 years can't remember) and although I got a good deal (for the
brand) I spent more for this set than I've spent on all of my previous
luggage combined. Of course I also opted for the pink camouflage style LOL.
I chose Heys because of the reviews I'd read online, the style and the
price. Hard sided luggage was a must this time. And these are considered
some of the lightest weight luggage around (the 30" only weighs 10.3lbs)

At some point did you buy a better quality brand of luggage or do you stick
with the lower priced stuff?

LES!

Old November 6th, 2008, 05:07 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jack Hamilton[_1_]

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 21:05:36 -0700, "Babie"
wrote:

Curious how often you all buy new sets of luggage?

Never. It's always been a piece at a time.

I've bought a new piece when:

- Something in an old piece gave up, usually a zipper or a wheel.

- I needed a new size, or a new feature, such as a smaller size to fit
changed carry-on rules, or a compartment for a laptop computer.

When I first started cruising, I borrowed luggage. For my second cruise I
bought a set of American Tourist (or whatever)

I had that for about a year and a half. I then bought a new set while I was
in Cozumel in Feb 2007. Between the full sets I'd also bought a few smaller
carry on rolling cases. But nothing ever seemed to last.

I just bought a 3 piece set of Heys hard sided luggage. It has a warranty
(either 5 or 7 years can't remember) and although I got a good deal (for the
brand) I spent more for this set than I've spent on all of my previous
luggage combined. Of course I also opted for the pink camouflage style LOL.
I chose Heys because of the reviews I'd read online, the style and the
price. Hard sided luggage was a must this time. And these are considered
some of the lightest weight luggage around (the 30" only weighs 10.3lbs)

Interesting - I've switched from hard-sided to soft-sided - I like the
expansion zippers.

I'm currently on a 6 night trip, and I have one small backpack with a
laptop compartment, and an duffle bag I got on an Atlantis cruise. Six
shirts, six pairs of socks and underwear, two pairs of pants, and two
jackets - quite compact. That would also be adequate for week-long
cruise in Mexico or Hawaii (along with use of the ship laundry), and
it's all carry-on.

Old November 6th, 2008, 12:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rick[_3_]

On Nov 5, 11:05*pm, "Babie" wrote:
Curious how often you all buy new sets of luggage?

This really depends on what kind of traveling you do. Airline &
Cruise ship travel your luggage takes a beating. Airline worse than
Cruise Line. I went to soft sided luggage years ago. For the same
reasons as Jack. The less expensive luggage just doesn't stand up to
the abuse of handlers (airline & crusie line). If your traveling by
car and you control the luggage you will get alot more life out of
less expensive luggage. I tend to go with a better quality of luggage
and that last me for years. Take into consideration the quality of
what your buying. Wheels and pull handles tend to crap out first of
on the lower quality products.
Old November 6th, 2008, 01:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cruise Crazy

From: OURCLOTHES
(Babie)
Curious how often you all buy new sets
of luggage?
I just bought a 3 piece set of Heys hard
sided luggage. It has a warranty (either
5 or 7 years can't remember) and
although I got a good deal (for the
brand) I spent more for this set than
I've spent on all of my previous luggage
combined. Of course I also opted for the
pink camouflage style LOL. I chose Heys
because of the reviews I'd read online,
the style and the price. Hard sided
luggage was a must this time. And these
are considered some of the lightest
weight luggage around (the 30" only
weighs 10.3lbs)
At some point did you buy a better
quality brand of luggage or do you stick
with the lower priced stuff?
LES!
---

Over the years of travel, including a least 60 cruises, I have found
expensive luggage a waste of money. Airlines and even cruise ship
luggage handlers can manage to ruin almost any I have ever had. I now
buy a 4 or 5 piece set of very cheap luggage and replace it as ofen as
necessary .

I still have my original wheeless hard side which, I believe was
AmericanTourister. No one managed to damage that very much. just not
practical now without wheels.

The last set I bought was from Target on sale for $49.95. It has lasted
about 4 years. I think only 2 of the zipper pulls are "missing in
action". Easily replaced.

~~DORIS~~
**________*/*/___/*/___/*/_________
*\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RCCL Grandeur 12-8-22, 2008

Oceania Regatta 2-25-2009

Tahitian Princess 6-25-2009

http://community.webtv.net/DorisIs/AROUNDTHEHORN

Old November 6th, 2008, 02:11 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

"Babie" wrote:

Curious how often you all buy new sets of luggage?

When I first started cruising, I borrowed luggage. For my second cruise I
bought a set of American Tourist (or whatever)

I had that for about a year and a half. I then bought a new set while I was
in Cozumel in Feb 2007. Between the full sets I'd also bought a few smaller
carry on rolling cases. But nothing ever seemed to last.

When my parents took us to Europe on HAL in 1950 we had American
Tourister luggage - I think Daddy had one suitcase, and Mother and my
sister and I shared a very large case. My father was able to carry
the cases, although they were heavy. He also had a camera bag, and a
movie camera bag, and a Polaroid in a case.

When I went to college I think I took that luggage plus a laundry case
to send stuff back and forth - it was some kind of fiberboard. When I
got married in 1959, I had a whole set of American Tourister including
the hat box which was a big round suitcase. None of them rolling of
course. I'm pretty sure that is the last time I bought a whole set.

In 1964, when I went to Europe for 5 weeks (by air) I had the 20"
American Tourister, and a pocketbook and a large carryon size bag of
some kind. When I retired from being a swim coach, they gave me an
American Tourister brief case which lasted for many years, even though
I backed over it with the car once (on accident).

I just gave my grandson my husband's big American Tourister bag
without wheels and also one with wheels that I got from my mother's
house when I was carrying things down to my house after she died - too
heavy for me. About 20 years ago, I got a hard side rolling bag of
the old carryon size and still can use it although it has a dent in
one corner. I got a softside of the same kind, but it rolls from the
narrow side, so that makes it hard to pull.

I have a large collection of 'dead' luggage still. I took my mom's
softside rolling bag for my own use on most travel, and I also use a
duffle especially for snorkeling and scuba gear. Most of my current
luggage (other than what I inherited from my mom) is stuff people have
given me. My daughter gave me a huge duffle for scuba gear and it is
too heavy for me to carry when loaded so I gave that to my grandson
too (he is about 6'5" and 300 lbs.)

My children gave us a set of softside luggage - for Xmas one year - a
large rolling zippered suitcase and a rolling computer bag for me, and
Bob got a hanging suit bag. The big suitcase is way too heavy when it
is loaded full for me to pick up. It really isn't useful. The
computer bag is wonderful when I'm going on short trips, but it's
difficult to roll two bags at once.

This trip (5 weeks), I am taking the big bag, a computer bag which is
a shoulder bag, a very tiny fabric bag which is completely squishable
that I got as part of a conducted tour in 2007, and another kind of
pocketbook bag with maps in it. Bob has the big hanging bag, and
three softside carryon bags and since none of them roll, he also has
my luggage cart.

When I took the first grandson on a trip, he had a hardside rolling
bag that he got from the Salvation Army or someplace like that, and a
daypack. The second grandson had a rolling duffle that he also got
cheap somewhere, and a daypack. They kept all their electronics and
video games etc in the daypacks.

Soft side luggage is lighter and easier to store on a ship IMHO.
Old November 6th, 2008, 02:44 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"Babie" wrote

Curious how often you all buy new sets of luggage?

At some point did you buy a better quality brand of luggage or do you
stick with the lower priced stuff?

We have a lot of luggage. Years ago we bought some Atlantic hard sided
suitcases. Great luggage, but very heavy so when the airlines started
clamping down on weight, they got relegated to the back of the closet and
are storage for some old clothes.

I also had a set of cheapie luggage and while it wasn't the greatest, it
held up pretty well. When it started to fall apart, I didn't shed any tears
as I got my money out of it and then some.

The current luggage of choice is a set of Samsonite soft side. They are
light, sturdy, the material hasn't ripped or torn and the zippers hold even
when packed tightly. The airline and cruise baggage handlers haven't
managed to mangle any of these pieces.

If people travel a lot, invest in good luggage. If you travel infrequently,
get something cheap.

Oh... and a great source of luggage for people who do not travel often is
the local Goodwill or Salvation Army stores.

--
George Leppla http://www.CruiseMaster.com

Feb. 8, 2009 Solstice Valentine http://www.cruisemaster.com/solstice.htm
May 10, 2009 ALASKA http://www.cruisemaster.com/moagc4.htm
October 16, 2010 OASIS http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com

Old November 6th, 2008, 04:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Susette

Luggage... ahhh they all promise something but alot of them fall
short, and even with some better companies an warranties, DO we keep
the receipts and the little hang tag from our luggage for 10 years? i
am sure there are some of you that is that organized but there is so
many of us that are not.

I have found that the less expensive stuff is good enough. no matter
what they get banged around. My Significant other travels every week.
He has bought Samsonite, American Tourister and unknown names, and
have to say the American tourister just does not live up at all. he
has been through alot of luggage I now keep those hang tags and
receipts...

However, we have both come to realize that the luggage we buy now has
to have 1 manditory thing. and its the 360 swivel wheels and have 4
of them as this luggage is superior in manueverabilty for our needs
you do not have to carry it, It does not fall over like the 2 inline
wheels with just some little nubs holding up the other corners,since
there is 4 wheels evenly balanced. ONCE you get this luggage you do
not want to go back to anything else. At least that is my opinion.

Air Lines and cruise lines are brutal with Luggage ESP Air Lines. I
also watched as on one of our cruises when we were in line looking out
the window watching a THEY put the bags onto the ship, one guy
dropped 2 piees of luggage in the Water we were watching as they
were trying to hool the handle tog et it out... YES they did get it..
and I was thankful it was not mine! hahhaa

Other things is I do not like black Luggage... need something BRIGHT
and different...
I bought palm trees that were Olive and Hunter Green and were
different from anyone elses this was a $39 piece of luggage that I got
4 years out of I feel I got my moneys worth!

BUT onto 4 wheels that is my Main criteria now!

Sue
Cruise Outlets and Travel
800 853 9515 www.cruiseoutlets.com
Old November 6th, 2008, 05:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Harry Cooper

I hope Rosalie bought stock in American Tourister in 1950. She has outdone
me by 10 years on cruises and 37 pieces of luggage, more or less.

Harry Cooper

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 6th, 2008, 05:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser[_2_]

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 08:44:03 -0600, George Leppla wrote:

The current luggage of choice is a set of Samsonite soft side. They are
light, sturdy, the material hasn't ripped or torn and the zippers hold even
when packed tightly. The airline and cruise baggage handlers haven't
managed to mangle any of these pieces.

+1 add a Clam
--
Charles of RTC said: "Like my smoker co-worker who has not worked for
three months now because he has to take oxygen due to diminished
Old November 6th, 2008, 08:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 11/5/2008 11:05 PM Babie did a "happy dance", then made these writings:
[...]

Les,

I don't buy luggage very often. My first Samsonite bags I had from 1969
through my college and grad school years up til 1974. I didn't really
need luggage until the 1990's when I went to Key West twice a year. Then
I had a 26 pullman and carry-on that I got in Target for $65.00. It was
some off brand called "Trade Winds". This no-name brand took a lot of
beating getting tossed around into the luggage hold of a 20-seater turbo
prop that flew from Ft. Lauderdale or Miami to Key West. When I started
traveling outside the US, I needed something with a little more space.
So, I gave the "Trade Winds" set to my dad. I went to the local Macy's
and got a 3-piece American Tourister set on sale. It really has taken a
beating and still holds its shape; it looks good too. For shorter road
trips to places like Intercourse, Pa, Rehoboth Beach, De, or Charleston,
SC I just use a backpack and maybe a few trash bags. Sturdy trash bags
are the ultimate in soft sided luggage. You can mush them into any
configuration to fit them into a car's trunk.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera