BA club world bulkhead child seats

Old January 14th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Arty

Default BA club world bulkhead child seats

Hi,

My wife, son and I are booked to travel LHR-JFK on a BA 744 in Club World.
My son will be 22 months at the time of travel, so I have reserved seats
seats 20E/F and one of the child seats (not a bassinet) that BA can provide
which will hang on the bulkhead in front of our seats.

Ideally, I would prefer a window seat - even though this means the pair of
seats face in differnt directions. Can anyone confirm that a child seat is
availible by seats A/B or J/K in Club World, either upstairs or downstairs,
and if so which rows?

TIA

Old January 14th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Banty

In article , Arty says...

Hi,

My wife, son and I are booked to travel LHR-JFK on a BA 744 in Club World.
My son will be 22 months at the time of travel, so I have reserved seats
seats 20E/F and one of the child seats (not a bassinet) that BA can provide
which will hang on the bulkhead in front of our seats.

Ideally, I would prefer a window seat - even though this means the pair of
seats face in differnt directions. Can anyone confirm that a child seat is
availible by seats A/B or J/K in Club World, either upstairs or downstairs,
and if so which rows?

TIA

1. Call the airline about these questions.

2. You have bought seats for all three family members, havent' you?

Banty

Old January 15th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Miss L. Toe

Take a look at www.seatguru.com and see if that helps.

Old January 15th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Arty

1. Call the airline about these questions.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get a definative answer from BA. I was hoping
someone who has used the child seats (or just travels regularly in CW) could
shed some light.

2. You have bought seats for all three family members, havent' you?

No. Tickets for all 3 family members, but as our son is under two he does
not get a seat, as I paid only 10% for his ticket. BA have reserved one of
the child seats for him free, which is the safest and most comfortable
option.

Arty

Old January 15th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Jenn

In article ,
"Arty" wrote:

1. Call the airline about these questions.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get a definative answer from BA. I was hoping
someone who has used the child seats (or just travels regularly in CW) could
shed some light.

2. You have bought seats for all three family members, havent' you?

No. Tickets for all 3 family members, but as our son is under two he does
not get a seat, as I paid only 10% for his ticket. BA have reserved one of
the child seats for him free, which is the safest and most comfortable
option.

Arty

this is an unbelievably short sighted and stupid decision for such a
long trip -- a child this age belongs in his own seat for this type trip
-- it isn't that he is 'under two so he does not get a seat' it is 'he
is under two and I am too greedy to properly provide for him'
Old January 16th, 2004, 01:26 AM
Roland Perry

In message , Jenn
writes
this is an unbelievably short sighted and stupid decision for such a
long trip -- a child this age belongs in his own seat for this type trip
-- it isn't that he is 'under two so he does not get a seat' it is 'he
is under two and I am too greedy to properly provide for him'

Sorry, but as a father of two, who both flew transatlantic when
underage, that's complete nonsense.

They won't let you use a car-seat in the normal seat (unless the
car-seat is FAA approved, which it won't be).

Putting an infant under two into a normal seat is madness - they are
much better off in an airline-provided cot at the parent's feet.
--
Roland Perry
Old January 16th, 2004, 03:29 AM
Banty

In article , Roland Perry says...

In message , Jenn
writes
this is an unbelievably short sighted and stupid decision for such a
long trip -- a child this age belongs in his own seat for this type trip
-- it isn't that he is 'under two so he does not get a seat' it is 'he
is under two and I am too greedy to properly provide for him'

Sorry, but as a father of two, who both flew transatlantic when
underage, that's complete nonsense.

They won't let you use a car-seat in the normal seat (unless the
car-seat is FAA approved, which it won't be).

Putting an infant under two into a normal seat is madness - they are
much better off in an airline-provided cot at the parent's feet.
--
Roland Perry

What? He's 22 months - a toddler. He needs a place to sit and squirm.

Most car seats are FAA-approved. Airline regulations concerning them vary - a
reason for another call to the airline. I've flown with my infant in his
carseat. Associating that seat with familliarity and comfort (and sleep!), the
trip was easier for myself, him and for all the surrounding passengers.

Banty

Old January 16th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Binyamin Dissen

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:06:59 GMT Air wrote:

:The message
:from Roland Perry contains these words:

: In message , Jenn
: writes
: this is an unbelievably short sighted and stupid decision for such a
: long trip -- a child this age belongs in his own seat for this type trip
: -- it isn't that he is 'under two so he does not get a seat' it is 'he
: is under two and I am too greedy to properly provide for him'

: Sorry, but as a father of two, who both flew transatlantic when
: underage, that's complete nonsense.

:You managed to sit a nearly 2 yr old on your lap without it touching the
:seat in front? How did you eat?

Perhaps some peoples stomachs are a lot smaller than yours?

:I have had toddlers behind me on their parents laps and it's HELL. My
:hair got pulled by them grabbing the top of the seat constantly. They
:also kicked the chair non stop as there was no room for them to move
:without doing so.

: They won't let you use a car-seat in the normal seat (unless the
: car-seat is FAA approved, which it won't be).

:How do you know it won't be? Airlines have their own to pre book too.

: Putting an infant under two into a normal seat is madness - they are
: much better off in an airline-provided cot at the parent's feet.

:A 22 month old does not fit in a cot! One cannot put it on the floor anyhow.

1. Not all 22 month olds are the same size.

2. One certainly can put the cot on the floor. Or put a blanket on the floor.

:I flew many times when my children were under 2. The only time I did not
:pay for a seat was with a 3month old. After that I paid for a seat every
:time. Far better for everyone. I used my own car seat most of the time
:with no problem. I used Virgin's provided one once, which was more of a
:booster seat with straps.

Perhaps not all have as much money to throw around as you claim to?

Perhaps you will use some of your millions to fund a foundation to pay for
such seats?

:A nearly 2yr old without it's own seat is ridiculous. Babies are easy,
:they eat and sleep. Toddlers need to be amused.

No connection to a seat or not.

:I don't think children are permitted 'upstairs'? [from OP query]

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com
Old January 16th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Roland Perry

In message , Air
writes
You managed to sit a nearly 2 yr old on your lap without it touching the
seat in front? How did you eat?

Maybe I was lucky - always managed to get a bulkhead seat, which the
airlines appear to reserve for this purpose.

I have had toddlers behind me on their parents laps and it's HELL. My
hair got pulled by them grabbing the top of the seat constantly. They
also kicked the chair non stop as there was no room for them to move
without doing so.

Older kids do all of that, when sat in their own seats :-(
--
Roland Perry
Old January 16th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Banty

In article , Air says...

[...]

This I dont' get either. Perhaps things have changed (my son is now 11), but I
brought his car seat onboard with me for every flight until he was three. A
couple of times, a FA would go for my carseat offering to check it, but I both
times I explained that I plan to use it in a ticketed seat.

Putting an infant under two into a normal seat is madness - they are
much better off in an airline-provided cot at the parent's feet.

A 22 month old does not fit in a cot! One cannot put it on the floor anyhow.

I flew many times when my children were under 2. The only time I did not
pay for a seat was with a 3month old. After that I paid for a seat every
time. Far better for everyone. I used my own car seat most of the time
with no problem. I used Virgin's provided one once, which was more of a
booster seat with straps.

I flew with my 12 week old non-ticketed *once*. Actually, as they say, "twice"
- the first time *and* the last time :-)

After that I ticketed him. The only thing was - it was so taken for granted that
an infant would be a lap baby, that on full flights I would have to hold up two
boarding passes for all to see when pax were doing the swap-seat bit. One time
I had a woman upset at me because I wouldn't put my baby in my lap so that she
can sit in his seat to be next to her husband!

A nearly 2yr old without it's own seat is ridiculous. Babies are easy,
they eat and sleep. Toddlers need to be amused.

About bulkhead seats: I tried that and they weren't the boon to parents
travelling with kids they're purported to be (at that time I was only flying
domestic US, though). I dind't have the leg room I need, because the bulkhead
was closer to the seat than the space I usually have to put my feet under a seat
in front of me (I'm six foot tall with 34" inseam). Also, since nothing can be
placed in under the seat in front of me, I had to put just about everything in
the overheads, and that means a lot of ups and downs and bothering other pax.
Antoher thing I tried and never did again.

Banty