EASYJET vs British Air

Old March 12th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Stromer2

Default EASYJET vs British Air

I need to fly from London to Geneva in June. I have asked questions about
various aspects of Easyjet and now need to make a decision.

BA fare is 78 GBP from Heathrow and Easyjet is 48 GBP from Luton.

To people that have flown in Europe please advise me on the following:
Taking all things into consideration (airport, restrictions, seat pitch, any
food on-board, etc) what airline would you take?

Thanks for any advice on this.
Old March 12th, 2004, 09:09 AM
mtravelkay

Stromer2 wrote:
I need to fly from London to Geneva in June. I have asked questions about
various aspects of Easyjet and now need to make a decision.

BA fare is 78 GBP from Heathrow and Easyjet is 48 GBP from Luton.

To people that have flown in Europe please advise me on the following:
Taking all things into consideration (airport, restrictions, seat pitch, any
food on-board, etc) what airline would you take?

I see the London - Geneva listed at about 455 miles. I have flown BA
multiple times, and only 2 flights on Easy Jet. BA seemed to be more
comfortable.
BA is listed at 31 inches for seat pitch, Easyjet at 29 inches (ouch).
For an hour long flight, food would not even be a consideration for me.

For me it would come down to a balancing of FF miles, price, and ease of
airport access. What are your transportation options to LHR and LUT?
30GBP isn't going to make me give up a lot if convenience, but it might
for you. It is possible that LUT might be more convenient for you to get
to.

Old March 12th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Joost van der Maarel

"Stromer2" wrote in message
I need to fly from London to Geneva in June. I have asked questions about
various aspects of Easyjet and now need to make a decision.

BA fare is 78 GBP from Heathrow and Easyjet is 48 GBP from Luton.

To people that have flown in Europe please advise me on the following:
Taking all things into consideration (airport, restrictions, seat pitch,

any
food on-board, etc) what airline would you take?

Thanks for any advice on this.

I flied both BA and EasyJet (and British Midland) between Amsterdam and
London, and I didn't really experience a difference in on-board comfort .
The BA 757's I flied were no-nonsense aircraft too just like the Easyjet
planes. There could be a pitch difference but I didn't notice. Personally I
wouldn't pay 30 pounds extra for the free sandwich. But as mentioned above,
I think your choice should depend mostly on the airport you're leaving from.
Check for the price to get to the airport too - that could sometimes make a
bigger difference than the plane costst.

Joost

Old March 12th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Mark Hewitt

"Joost van der Maarel" wrote in message
"Stromer2" wrote in message

I flied both BA and EasyJet (and British Midland) between Amsterdam and
London, and I didn't really experience a difference in on-board comfort .
The BA 757's I flied were no-nonsense aircraft too just like the Easyjet
planes. There could be a pitch difference but I didn't notice. Personally

wouldn't pay 30 pounds extra for the free sandwich. But as mentioned

above,
I think your choice should depend mostly on the airport you're leaving

from.
Check for the price to get to the airport too - that could sometimes make

bigger difference than the plane costst.

Also if you are going by car, take into account the cost of parking and how
easy it is to get to and from your car.

From what I've seen at Heathrow parking is mostly outside the terminal areas
(through the tunnel) and you will need additional transport such as a taxi
or a shuttle bus to get to and from where you are parked.
Luton has parking which is within walking distance of the terminal as long
as you are not overly burdened with luggage.

Old March 12th, 2004, 03:15 PM
AJC

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:17:46 +0100, Jost Ammon wrote:

Not the Karl Orff wrote:

You have to pay for all drinks and foo don Easy jet. Free on BA
(quality may not be the best). However if your BA flight is operate by
Swiss, you have to pay for everything too.

Really - is that so? Now look what has become the once celebrated
Swissair!!!

Jost

The point is, it is not the once celebrated Swissair, that went bust.
This is Swiss, formerly Crossair.
--==++AJC++==--
Old March 12th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Jost Ammon

--
He who opens the windows invites the bugs in
Old March 12th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
Jost Ammon wrote:

Not the Karl Orff wrote:

You have to pay for all drinks and foo don Easy jet. Free on BA
(quality may not be the best). However if your BA flight is operate by
Swiss, you have to pay for everything too.

Really - is that so? Now look what has become the once celebrated
Swissair!!!

As mentioned, Swiss Air (SR) went bankrupt along with its stablemate,
Sabena (SN). Crossair (LX) was anointed to take over SR's operations
and remains in precarios financial condition. It's somewhat controlled
by BA.
Old March 12th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Traveller

"Stromer2" wrote in message
I need to fly from London to Geneva in June. I have asked questions about
various aspects of Easyjet and now need to make a decision.

BA fare is 78 GBP from Heathrow and Easyjet is 48 GBP from Luton.

To people that have flown in Europe please advise me on the following:
Taking all things into consideration (airport, restrictions, seat pitch,

any
food on-board, etc) what airline would you take?

LTN is a lot less hassle to get through than the zoo that is LHR, although
Geneva will be operating from Terminal 4 from the end of March, which is
arguably less unpleasant than T1.

For other posters, there are fares as low as GBP78 with BA including tax.
The OP should look at all his options - on ba.com you can choose from
flights originating LHR, LGW (Gatwick) or LCY (London City). If he'd care
to advise where exactly he will be starting his journey from in London, the
group can advise which airports will work best for him or her.

Other points to consider include punctuality - EasyJet are excellent in this
regard - I have rarely had a delayed flight with them. This is due in part
to their use of less busy airports (LPL instead of MAN, LTN instead of LHR)
but also due to the way they work - very short turnarounds, no waiting for
late passengers, strict hand-baggage policy and so on. I have arrived
*early* on EasyJet more often than on any other carrier I have ever flown.