7 hour stopover in Shanghai -- is that enough time for a quick visit to the city?

Old March 30th, 2008, 03:51 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Gordon Zola

Default 7 hour stopover in Shanghai -- is that enough time for a quick visit to the city?

I will be passing through Pudong airport from Vancouver to Chengdu and
will have about 7 hours at Pudong. I've never been to Shanghai and
would like to have a look if possible. Arriving around 14:00 and
continuing flight at about 2100 (Shanghai Airlines) on Sunday Apr 6.

Is that enough time for a quick look?

What will traffic be like going back to the airport at around 19:00?
How long by taxi might it be?

I don't speak any Chinese... how can I make sure the taxi driver
understands where I want to go?

Any suggestions appreciated.

GZ
Old March 30th, 2008, 05:09 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

On Mar 30, 10:51 am, Gordon Zola wrote:
I will be passing through Pudong airport from Vancouver to Chengdu and
will have about 7 hours at Pudong. I've never been to Shanghai and
would like to have a look if possible. Arriving around 14:00 and
continuing flight at about 2100 (Shanghai Airlines) on Sunday Apr 6.

Is that enough time for a quick look?

What will traffic be like going back to the airport at around 19:00?
How long by taxi might it be?

I don't speak any Chinese... how can I make sure the taxi driver
understands where I want to go?

Any suggestions appreciated.

GZ

I suggest you take the highspeed train to the terminal and switch to
the subway trains, to destination of your choice.
The subway system are easy to use and instructions are in english too
besides chinese.

Make sure you are able to backtrack your way to the subway, and back
to the highspeed train terminal and the airport.

This way you will not need to know any chinese to get around shanghai.

BTW Shanghai is a very big and modern city and I believe it has is the
most english speaking population in all of the chinese cities.

Enjoy your stay in china.

mei
Old March 30th, 2008, 08:05 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl

On Mar 30, 9:09*am, wrote:
[...]

It's enough time to catch the historic area around the Bund. But, as I
understand it, the maglev train leaves you in the middle of nowhere
and you have to then take a taxi to the subway. I have landed only at
Hongqiao, and don't know Pudong airport.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old March 30th, 2008, 09:48 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Gordon Zola
says...
I will be passing through Pudong airport from Vancouver to Chengdu and
will have about 7 hours at Pudong. I've never been to Shanghai and
would like to have a look if possible. Arriving around 14:00 and
continuing flight at about 2100 (Shanghai Airlines) on Sunday Apr 6.

Is that enough time for a quick look?

What will traffic be like going back to the airport at around 19:00?
How long by taxi might it be?

I don't speak any Chinese... how can I make sure the taxi driver
understands where I want to go?

It's enough the time, but you will need a visa to enter China. Take the
maglev train and the taxi to the Bund. As for the taxi driver, most
can't speak English but should be able to understand directions.
--

Alfred Molon
Old March 30th, 2008, 11:46 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
tim \(not at home\)

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In article , Gordon Zola
says...
I will be passing through Pudong airport from Vancouver to Chengdu and
will have about 7 hours at Pudong. I've never been to Shanghai and
would like to have a look if possible. Arriving around 14:00 and
continuing flight at about 2100 (Shanghai Airlines) on Sunday Apr 6.

Is that enough time for a quick look?

What will traffic be like going back to the airport at around 19:00?
How long by taxi might it be?

I don't speak any Chinese... how can I make sure the taxi driver
understands where I want to go?

It's enough the time, but you will need a visa to enter China.

You really confused me there. I had to go and check up that Chengdu really
was in China!!!!!

tim

Old March 30th, 2008, 03:12 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Steve Cain

What will traffic be like going back to the airport at around 19:00?
How long by taxi might it be?

Use Subway/Maglev

I don't speak any Chinese... how can I make sure the taxi driver
understands where I want to go?

Taxi or no taxi have a map on you, preferably with Chinese and English
notations. Periplus Travel Maps does well with Shanghai

Any suggestions appreciated.

GZ

I suggest you take the highspeed train to the terminal and switch to
the subway trains, to destination of your choice.
The subway system are easy to use and instructions are in english too
besides chinese.

True BUT when jet lagged you may not see the english option on the upper
right hand side of the touch screen. Also, after hitting the ATM you will
have sought change in small denominations as a frequent problem at the Metro
stations is the machines have run short of change for bills and accept
change only until maintainanced.

Make sure you are able to backtrack your way to the subway, and back
to the highspeed train terminal and the airport.

Easily done.....and It's a good idea to have a compass....my REI cheapee
dangles from my camera.

It's enough time to catch the historic area around the Bund. But, as I
understand it, the maglev train leaves you in the middle of nowhere
and you have to then take a taxi to the subway. I have landed only at
Hongqiao, and don't know Pudong airport.

When exiting the Maglev train you go down to ground level and cross a court
yard to the metro building. Approximately 125 meters give or take. VERY
Easy. Good luck, s

Old March 30th, 2008, 05:52 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

On Mar 29, 7:51*pm, Gordon Zola wrote:
I will be passing through Pudong airport from Vancouver to Chengdu and
will have about 7 hours at Pudong. I've never been to Shanghai and
would like to have a look if possible. Arriving around 14:00 and
continuing flight at about 2100 (Shanghai Airlines) on Sunday Apr 6.

Is that enough time for a quick look?

What will traffic be like going back to the airport at around 19:00?
How long by taxi might it be?

I don't speak any Chinese... how can I make sure the taxi driver
understands where I want to go?

Any suggestions appreciated.

GZ

See if you can find an English speaking taxi driver and hire him for
the whole day, rather than spend time trying to find a taxi back to
the airport. You have time to take in a tour of the Bund.

But what are you going to do with your luggage?
Old March 30th, 2008, 07:07 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl

On Mar 30, 9:52*pm, PeterL wrote:
On Mar 29, 7:51*pm, Gordon Zola wrote:

I will be passing through Pudong airport from Vancouver to Chengdu and
will have about 7 hours at Pudong. I've never been to Shanghai and
would like to have a look if possible. Arriving around 14:00 and
continuing flight at about 2100 (Shanghai Airlines) on Sunday Apr 6.

Is that enough time for a quick look?

What will traffic be like going back to the airport at around 19:00?
How long by taxi might it be?

I don't speak any Chinese... how can I make sure the taxi driver
understands where I want to go?

Any suggestions appreciated.

See if you can find an English speaking taxi driver and hire him for
the whole day, rather than spend time trying to find a taxi back to
the airport. *You have time to take in a tour of the Bund.

But what are you going to do with your luggage?

Checked through to Chengdu?

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old March 30th, 2008, 10:02 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , tim (not at home)
says...

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In article , Gordon Zola
says...
I will be passing through Pudong airport from Vancouver to Chengdu and
will have about 7 hours at Pudong. I've never been to Shanghai and
would like to have a look if possible. Arriving around 14:00 and
continuing flight at about 2100 (Shanghai Airlines) on Sunday Apr 6.

Is that enough time for a quick look?

What will traffic be like going back to the airport at around 19:00?
How long by taxi might it be?

I don't speak any Chinese... how can I make sure the taxi driver
understands where I want to go?

It's enough the time, but you will need a visa to enter China.

You really confused me there. I had to go and check up that Chengdu really
was in China!!!!!

They already seceded ;-)

I forgot that he mentioned that he was going to Chengdu.
--

Alfred Molon
Old March 31st, 2008, 04:00 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Bubba[_3_]

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 09:52:13 -0700 (PDT), PeterL
wrote:

On Mar 29, 7:51*pm, Gordon Zola wrote:
I will be passing through Pudong airport from Vancouver to Chengdu and
will have about 7 hours at Pudong. I've never been to Shanghai and
would like to have a look if possible. Arriving around 14:00 and
continuing flight at about 2100 (Shanghai Airlines) on Sunday Apr 6.

Is that enough time for a quick look?

What will traffic be like going back to the airport at around 19:00?
How long by taxi might it be?

I don't speak any Chinese... how can I make sure the taxi driver
understands where I want to go?

Any suggestions appreciated.

GZ

See if you can find an English speaking taxi driver and hire him for
the whole day, rather than spend time trying to find a taxi back to
the airport. You have time to take in a tour of the Bund.

But what are you going to do with your luggage?

I'm guessing that there will be lockers at the airport. But I have no
clue how easy they are to use, or the risk that I couldn't find my
locker back or that it would balk and not return my bags when I need
them.

GZ