Postage costs in India / Reliability of Indian Post Office

Old July 1st, 2004, 08:37 PM
Snizzy

Default Postage costs in India / Reliability of Indian Post Office

I will be traveling to India from the UK in a few weeks time. While
there I would like to post some parcels to family, who are in another
part of India, where I won't be able to travel.

I have visited the Indian Post office webapage, and there are
different ways you can post parcel, for e.g. registered or insured.
Can anyone recommend which one I should use? How reliable is this?

I will be posting from Goa to Punjab. However, I may stop over at
Delhi or Mumbai. Is there any difference to the postage costs,
depending on where I send it from?

Postage costs seem quite cheap in India.

Thanks

Snizz Lee
Old July 2nd, 2004, 05:34 AM
soulstation

hi:
Im frm Delhi/India and I can offer u a few tips:

India Post is run by the Govt and is reliable. I recommend you use the
"Registered Post" option rather than general mail as this is more
secure and reliable. They also have "Speed Post" facility, incase u
want to send something urgently. But, for a big parcel (like u hve
indicated),
"Registered Post" shuld just be fine.

If ur breaking journey at Delhi, they I suggest u send it from any
post office in Delhi (GPO is centrally located) as it is closer to
Punjab and will be much cheaper than if u send it frm Goa! Sending
from Mumbai is not that cost effective as it is as far as Goa from
Punjab.

Alternately, u may consider domestic couriers like DHL, Bluedart, Gati
etc. You can get their details from website address via google. But
they will be expensive though very reliable.

Postage costs seem quite cheap in India.

Thats b'coz India has a vast majority of population who live in
villages and who have no access to internet whotsoever. their per
capita income is very low. Therefore, the Govt keeps costs low.

This should help,
Cheers,
Sid

Old July 2nd, 2004, 08:19 AM
Ben

i'd advise registered post.. normal parcels, when containing interesting
stuff, sometimes arrive opened and with stuff missing from it.
Within India it should reach fast (max. days) from europe it has never
reached before the 7th day, usually takes 10

om...

Old July 13th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Amit

hey snizzy,

i would not recommend posting stuff with the indian post office. most
people in bombay use private courier services for imporatant letters
and parcels. they are much more reliable and can be held accountable.
they are a shade more expensive than the govt. postal service and
significantly cheaper than global courier cos.

most major towns and cities should have reliable private courier
service branches with a national reach.

amit