Whale watching in Maine

Old October 9th, 2003, 04:06 PM
Andrew Holmes

Default Whale watching in Maine

We're spending a week in Maine from Oct 20.
Anyone have any suggestions of where / how to see whales at that time?
We'd be very grateful for any suggestions.

Best wishes
Andrew (in England)

Old October 10th, 2003, 09:58 AM
Major Bloodknock

Andrew Holmes wrote:

We're spending a week in Maine from Oct 20.
Anyone have any suggestions of where / how to see whales at that time?
We'd be very grateful for any suggestions.

Best wishes
Andrew (in England)

Have a look at the websites:-
http://www.visitmaine.com/home.php?flash=1
http://www.visitnewengland.com/
http://www.mass-vacation.com/jsp/index.jsp
enter whale in the search fields and sort through the results.

Maj. B.
--
I'm walking backwards for Christmas

The views and expressions contained in this message do not necessarily
coincide with those of my employer.
Old October 10th, 2003, 03:20 PM
ncurtis

"Andrew Holmes" wrote in message ...
We're spending a week in Maine from Oct 20.
Anyone have any suggestions of where / how to see whales at that time?
We'd be very grateful for any suggestions.

It's extremely late in the season, so many cruises will have ceased
operations for the year. Maine is a large state--where do you plan to
go, where will you be based, and how far are you willing to travel for
whale watching?

Nancy
Old October 11th, 2003, 06:23 PM
Andrew Holmes

"ncurtis" wrote in message
om...
"Andrew Holmes" wrote in message

We're spending a week in Maine from Oct 20.
Anyone have any suggestions of where / how to see whales at that time?
We'd be very grateful for any suggestions.

It's extremely late in the season, so many cruises will have ceased
operations for the year. Maine is a large state--where do you plan to
go, where will you be based, and how far are you willing to travel for
whale watching?

Nancy

we're happy to go anywhere on the coast north of portland.
had thought of staying in bar harbor - but we're flexible.
any suggestions?

andrew

Old October 13th, 2003, 02:40 PM
ncurtis

"Andrew Holmes" wrote in message ...
"Andrew Holmes" wrote in message

We're spending a week in Maine from Oct 20.
Anyone have any suggestions of where / how to see whales at that time?
We'd be very grateful for any suggestions.

we're happy to go anywhere on the coast north of portland.
had thought of staying in bar harbor - but we're flexible.
any suggestions?

andrew

An admittedly quick search of options indicates that your choices are
few and far between. Bar Harbor Whale Watch will still be running
*some* kind of tour, but it may be a "nature," lobstering, or seal
watch tour that sticks closer to land (more information at
www.whalesrus.com). You could try the folks at
www.mainecoastexperience.com (Brooklin) as well, but I'm a bit
doubtful they are still cruising at this late date.

If you're up for a bit more driving and a border crossing, there are
several operators in Deer Island or St. Andrews (New Brunswick) who
run tours through the end of the month (details at
http://www.tourismnewbrunswick.ca/Cu...EWhaleWatching).

I'd recommend a "Plan B," since the cruises could always get cancelled
due to weather.

Nancy