List of Radio Stations with regular traffic reports

Old January 5th, 2007, 01:55 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
AEngineerDU

Default List of Radio Stations with regular traffic reports

I tracked down CBS stations that are news around the country - they
seem to have a 10-minute format. Can anybody give more details on
these:

Atlanta WAOK 1380
Boston WBZ 1030
Chicago WBBM 780
Dallas KRLD 1080
Detroit WWJ 950
Greensboro WMFR 1230
Greensboro WSJS 600
Greensboro WSML 1200
Hartford WTIC 1080
Houston KIKK 650
Las Vegas KXNT 840
Los Angeles KNX 1070
Los Angeles KFWB 980
Minneapolis WCCO 830
New York WCBS 880
Pittsburgh KDKA 1020
San Francisco KCBS 740
Seattle KPTK 1090
St. Louis KMOX 1120

Old January 5th, 2007, 02:40 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Steve A.

wrote:
AEngineerDU wrote:
Does anybody know of a list of (US) radio stations that have regular
(every 10-15) minutes traffic reports, at least during rush hours, but
preferrably all the time. In Philadelphia "everyone" knows that its
"traffic and transit on the two's" on KYW at 1060AM. I suspect most
major cities have the same thing.

What I'd love is a list (I'd even be willing to compile it in a
database and put it on the web) with the following information so that
we can get reasonable information while traveling. Maybe it already
exists (please tell me), but I couldn't find it.

STATION INFORMATION
Country - USA default
State
City
Call Letters
AM/FM
Frequency
Commercial/NonCommercial

TRAFFIC REPORT INFORMATION
24 hour yes/no
Every day yes/no
Weekdays only yes/no
AM rush hour yes/no
PM rush hour yes/no
Regular Minute e.g. 2 - meaning every ten minutes on the 2, 12, 22
etc.
Irregular Minutes - e.g (02, 17, 32, 47) during rush hour (6-9AM,
4-7PM) and (02,32) non rush hour

OPINION - All ratings 1-5 (1=low, 5=excellent)
Accurate
Complete
Tourist Helpful

Comment

Jim Mitchell

I'm cross-posting this to MTR (Misc.Transport.Road); one of those guys
may have such a list compiled.

You may only get from various areas...
DC has 1500, no idea when their reports are
AM 1010 and 880 for the NY area, on the 1's and 8's respectively
(except when 880 broadcasts sports)
101.5 FM for NJ, but I have no idea when their traffic reports are.

Old January 5th, 2007, 04:09 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Steven J. Sobol

In article . com, Jason Pawloski wrote:

There's no way I'm filling out all of that information, but AM 1070 in
Los Angeles has traffic reports for LA county, Orange county, and other
surrounding counties I guess "on the 5s." So they are every 10 minutes,
even at 1:05 AM.

And unlike other LA-area stations, they cover traffic in the fringe
areas when warranted (Riverside County, San Bernardino, Victorville,
Santa Clarita and Newhall). KNX is quite useful to me even though I
almost never drive to downtown L.A. or to Orange County.

They're definitely on at just about all times of day, although last week
I didn't hear the traffic reports at 5am because they were preempted by
news about Gerald Ford.

There's one up in San Fransisco that is similar but I forget the
numbers now.

KCBS-AM 740?

--
Steve Sobol, Professional Geek ** Java/VB/VC/PHP/Perl ** Linux/*BSD/Windows
Victorville, California PGP:0xE3AE35ED

It's all fun and games until someone starts a bonfire in the living room.
Old January 5th, 2007, 05:06 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
James W Anderson

Salt Lake is very good for traffic, you hear quite a bit. Wish they
had an XM/Sirius channel though.

KSL 1160/102.7 (heard on ksl.com), on the 9s 5am-11pm except during
Sean Hannity sports, or some specialty shows.
KNRS 570 (talker, probably every ten minutes.but probably only AM/PM
rush)
Most major FMs do traffic AM/PM rush, including KBYU 89.1, KUER 90.1,
KUBL 93.3 (voicetracks on a Seattle station maybe the Wolf 100.7) and
this one is a real hoot 'General Gridlock'). KZHT 97.1, KBZN 97.9,
KSFI 100.3, KRSP 103.5, KSOP 104.3, KXRV 105.7, and KOSY 106.5 are also
confirmed to do morning/evening traffic. There may be more. We've got
lots of 'rimshots' and other stations that may or may not be able to do
traffic as well, we've got more stations per capita than anyone else
now with six more being talked about moving in as rimshots.

Old January 5th, 2007, 12:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
AEngineerDU

Heres a compilation of those stations you've reported so far that are
regular providers: They're ordered by state.

KCBS 740 AM - San Francisco Bay Area CALIFORNIA - Timing: On the
8''s All Day
WWJ 950 AM - Detroit MICHIGAN - Timing: On the 8''s
WGVU 1480 AM - Grand Rapids MICHIGAN - Timing: On the 9''s Rush Hour
WGVU 88.5 FM - Grand Rapids MICHIGAN - Timing: On the 9''s Rush Hour
WKXW 101.5 FM - Trenton NEW JERSEY - Timing: At: xx:3; 18; 33; 48 All
Day
WINS 1010 AM - New York NEW YORK - Timing: On the 1''s
WCBS 880 AM - New York NEW YORK - Timing: On the 8''s
WKYW 1060 AM - Philadelphia PENNSYLVANIA - Timing: On the 2''s All
Day
KSL 1160 AM - Salt Lake City UTAH - Timing: On the 9''s All Day
KSL 102.7 FM - Salt Lake City UTAH - Timing: On the 9''s All Day

Old January 5th, 2007, 06:09 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Jeff Kitsko

wrote in message
oups.com...
AEngineerDU wrote:
Does anybody know of a list of (US) radio stations that have regular
(every 10-15) minutes traffic reports, at least during rush hours, but
preferrably all the time. In Philadelphia "everyone" knows that its
"traffic and transit on the two's" on KYW at 1060AM. I suspect most
major cities have the same thing.

So far I have compiled a list for Pittsburgh that can be found at
http://pittsburgh.pahighways.com/trafficinfo.html.

I am still working on pages for the other cities in Pennsylvania.

--
Jeff Kitsko
Pennsylvania Highways: http://www.pahighways.com/

Old January 5th, 2007, 11:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Russell Patterson

On 4 Jan 2007 18:40:46 -0800, "Steve A."

AEngineerDU wrote:
[...]

DC has changed. They are now on 103.5 FM on the 8's

Old January 6th, 2007, 12:43 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lynne Jeffers

STATION INFORMATION
Country - USA default
State - Illinois
City - Chicago
Call Letters - WBBM
AM/FM - AM
Frequency - 780
Commercial/NonCommercial - Commercial

TRAFFIC REPORT INFORMATION
24 hour yes/no - yes
Every day yes/no - yes
Weekdays only yes/no - no
AM rush hour yes/no - yes
PM rush hour yes/no - yes
Regular Minute - every ten minutes on the 8s (08/18/28/38/48/58)

OPINION - All ratings 1-5 (1=low, 5=excellent)
Accurate - 5
Complete - 5
Tourist Helpful - 1

Comment
Very useful for locals. I use it often.

I don't think tourists will get as much from it because WBBM uses local
vernacular of route names to identify them (e.g., Dan Ryan, Eisenhower,
Stevenson, Edens, Kennedy, Reagan, Bishop Ford, Skyway, Tri-State, N-S
tollway, E-W tollway, NW tollway) rather than Interstate numbers (e.g.,
I-90, I-94, I-55, I-294, I-355). There are so many highways and toll
roads in the Chicagoland area that when WBBM does give the traffic
report, it's delivered very quickly; you have to listen closely for the
road you're interested in, otherwise you'll miss it. You also have the
challenge of understanding the landmarks they use - if you don't travel
a road regularly, you won't know where the "Boughton Rd toll plaza" is,
or the "Circle interchange" or "Hubbard's cave". They don't use mile
markers or exit numbers to identify stretches of highway.

My $.02. YMMV.

-Lynne