Which airlines charge for the first checked bag?

Old October 25th, 2008, 01:31 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alan S[_1_]

Default Which airlines charge for the first checked bag?

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 18:17:31 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 18:03:08 -0500, Jim Davis wrote:

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 21:19:07 -0700, SMS wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:

AFAIK, only usairways is charging for a can of soda. I find it hard to
fathom how an airline that has collected $250 can't provide a 25 cent
can of soda. It costs them several bucks to collect that $2 can of
soda in labor.

I was on U.S. Air last month. They're selling very, very, few drinks,
even the $1 drinks like coffee. So it's not that they're making $1.75 a
can on soda, they're saving about 20¢ x 150 people on each flight (half
a can of soda plus the cost of the ice, the cup, the napkin, etc. That
was the real intent of the fee.

A lot of these fees aren't implemented to make money from people paying
the fees, they're implemented to get people to stop doing whatever it is
that would incur the fee in the first place. If people stop taking
checked luggage, the airline can sell that cargo space to freight
companies or to the U.S. mail, etc.

Why stop there? They could rip out the seats, turn off the cabin
pressure, and ship everybody like cattle. That would sure help their
prices become "competitive"

Good greif man!! Don't give them any more ideas.

And I'll never know. I'll stick to airlines that don't despise their
customers so much.

There's not many more to choose from.

Hello, welcome to the gracy fergussen storm door company and airline.
We save you money to avoiding such extravagances such as ...
maintenance.

Oops - I should have read this first, before my other
answer.

I searched for a youtube or audio download but couldn't find
it. I have the CD.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Latest: Two Indian Hotels: to Sleep, Perchance...

Old October 27th, 2008, 04:47 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

AZ Nomad wrote:

And I'll never know. I'll stick to airlines that don't despise their
customers so much.

My cousin worked for Delta in marketing for 25 years. Despite all the
customer gripes about how they'd switch to airlines that treated them
better, it always came down to schedule and price as the reason to
choose one airline over another. Quality of food, legroom, in-flight
entertainment, on-time schedule, number of lost bags, etc., were
extremely minor factors, despite all the claims to the contrary. Even
now, if one airline is $100 cheaper but charges $15 for checked luggage
versus it being free on the more expensive airline, people will still
opt to save $85.

Last month I flew on U.S. Air for the first time in probably 15 years.
They had the only reasonably priced, no-advance purchase, flight to Las
Vegas where I decided to go to a trade-show at the last minute. The cost
of a drink, if I wanted one, would be lost in the noise. I now bring an
empty nalgene bottle or stainless steel thermal leakproof mug and fill
it with water past the checkpoint.

Safety does occasionally factor into the airline choice, if a particular
airline has a history of maintenance problems. I.e. the old America
West, Alaska, China Airlines (Taiwan).
Old October 27th, 2008, 04:59 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 09:47:36 -0700, SMS wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:

And I'll never know. I'll stick to airlines that don't despise their
customers so much.

My cousin worked for Delta in marketing for 25 years. Despite all the
customer gripes about how they'd switch to airlines that treated them
better, it always came down to schedule and price as the reason to
choose one airline over another. Quality of food, legroom, in-flight
entertainment, on-time schedule, number of lost bags, etc., were
extremely minor factors, despite all the claims to the contrary. Even
now, if one airline is $100 cheaper but charges $15 for checked luggage
versus it being free on the more expensive airline, people will still
opt to save $85.

Yes, but if one does a search and two airlines are within $10 of each other for
the desired time and destinations, and one truly despises the customers like
U.S. Airways, I'll take the other. It's a no brainer and I don't have to worry
about there being $30 worth of new hidden charges.
Old October 27th, 2008, 10:06 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

AZ Nomad wrote:

Yes, but if one does a search and two airlines are within $10 of each other for
the desired time and destinations, and one truly despises the customers like
U.S. Airways, I'll take the other. It's a no brainer and I don't have to worry
about there being $30 worth of new hidden charges.

U.S. Scare isn't one of my favorite airlines, and I think charging $2
for a soda is really tacky. But when it came down to $168 round trip,
versus $400 on other airlines (for a last-minute ticket from SFO to LAS,
it was U.S. Scare that got my money despite their attitude.

I think that it's extremely rare these days for there to be a choice of
two flights that are about the same schedule and within $10 of each
other unless it's some high-traffic route like SFO-LAX or one of the
east coast routes from New York to Florida, New York to Washington D.C.,
or New York to Boaton.
Old October 27th, 2008, 11:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 15:06:51 -0700, SMS wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:

[...]

I find it all the time. The airlines are highly competitive.
I find there'll usualy some bottom price with 2-3 airlines hovering
there then a few other airlines at double to four times the price.
No idea why.