Kenya, what money to take?

Old September 9th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Robert

Default Kenya, what money to take?

I am off to Kenya at the end of this month.

What is the best form of money to take?

Sterling (UK)
Dollars (US)

Cash or Travellers Checks.

Old September 10th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 09:18:45 +0000 (UTC), "Robert"
wrote:

I am off to Kenya at the end of this month.

What is the best form of money to take?

Sterling (UK)
Dollars (US)

Cash or Travellers Checks.

Robert,

do you have a Maestro (ec) card? Then you can use the many
Barclays ATMs to pull Kenya Shillings at an unbeatable rate.

Take some cash in case of any problems, like Barclays ATMs
temporarily out of order.

If not, US$ is better than Pound Sterling. I usually take cash,
but travellers checks are a bit less risky.

That said, you need a bunch of $$ for the nature reserve entry
fees that cannot be paid in Kenya Shilling or in British Pounds.
Make sure you have enough small change, like $1 notes, to pay
each amount precisely.

More detailed information about prices and ATM locations can be
found at http://www.michna.com/kenya.htm .

Hans-Georg

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old September 11th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Corné

"Robert" schreef in bericht

I am off to Kenya at the end of this month.

What is the best form of money to take?

Sterling (UK)
Dollars (US)

Cash or Travellers Checks.

I would say US$. Traveller cheques are insured against lost. For your
convenient I would also bring some cash.

Enjoy your trip!

Regards from the bush,
Corné.

www.amukela.com

Old September 11th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Pat Anderson

In message , Corné
writes

"Robert" schreef in bericht

I am off to Kenya at the end of this month.

What is the best form of money to take?

Sterling (UK)
Dollars (US)

Cash or Travellers Checks.

I would say US$. Traveller cheques are insured against lost. For your
convenient I would also bring some cash.

Enjoy your trip!

Regards from the bush,
Corné.

www.amukela.com

Robert,
We always take travellers cheques and some US dollars, the dollars
come in useful and seem to be preferred. One tip, for your departure tax
have your $50 (I think that`s the correct figure) ready as you don`t
expect any change. You can change your cheques into Kshillings easily.
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson
Old September 11th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Dave Patterson

Isn't the departure tax included in the air tickets
sold in the UK? It is in the US.

Old September 11th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Liz

In message
Dave Patterson wrote:

Isn't the departure tax included in the air tickets
sold in the UK? It is in the US.

It was included when we last went in '02, but maybe the rules have
changed: the first time we went we had to pay at a desk, (like you
still do in Ecuador). I'm sure the ticket should say, or if you're in
a tour, or booking through a company, this should be clearly explained
by your tour operator.

Slainte

Liz

--
Virtual Liz: http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos
Old September 13th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 13:52:13 -0700, Dave Patterson
wrote:

Isn't the departure tax included in the air tickets
sold in the UK? It is in the US.

Dave,

also in Germany. I guess they always do it that way now.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.