Passenger missed cruise

Old May 29th, 2011, 10:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

Default Passenger missed cruise

Our travel agent when we used to fly always tried to find us the best
airfare,and to alert us to the reason to go a day ahead of time.
Always told us the pit falls of booking cruise air.

cruise lover(~~~~~)

..

Old May 29th, 2011, 11:12 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K[_3_]

On Sun, 29 May 2011 10:40:09 -0400, Charles wrote:

In article , Patricia
Martin Steward wrote:

Word. Plus, the article doesn't make it clear whether they were
flying on the same day -- only says two flights were delayed. NEVER
fly on the same day. Never never never.

A good travel agent would have suggested that that they fly in a day
early.

That way we could get in a good ass ****ing!
Old May 30th, 2011, 12:44 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jeff Gersten

(Janet*Wilder) wrote:

I guess I've used "bad" travel agents, because
they all seemed to want to push the cruise l
line's air packages, which, IMO are the riskiest
of all.

Our travel agent only suggested booking cruise line once, and only to
insure a flight. We booked a Baltic cruise well before prices for
flights were available. He said to book the air to insure we had
flights, and when the airfares became available, start looking for a
better price.

Then a funny thing happened after I found a great internet deal. (It
worked out after all taxes and fees to just over $700 round trip between
Newark and Copenhagen.) I tried to book it, and I got a technical
difficulties pop-up, It said to try again or call a given 800 number.
After a second try, I called the 800 number.

I figured the technical difficulty was because I was on webtv, not a
computer. But, that was not the case. Their reservation's computer would
not book us because we were already on the flight, booked by Princess.
The person I spoke to asked if we had already paid for the flight. I
explained we had paid only a deposit to Princess for our August cruise
and could cancel the whole thing or the Princess air with no penalty
until May. (It was then I believe November of the prior year.)

She wanted us to cancel first, and then come back on line to book the
special rate (which did not last long.) I convinced her that we at no
time wanted to have no flights. After a hesitation, she acceded to my
request to cancel and rebook us at the new rate. I then called our TA to
let him know what we had done and to have him let Princess know we were
no longer using their air.

At the new rate compared to the Princess rate, we could have flown a
third person and still had a small amount of money left over.

Old May 30th, 2011, 02:20 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 5/29/11 7:44 PM, Jeff Gersten wrote:
(Janet Wilder) wrote:

[...]

There are occasions where cruise air (especially with Europe) does work
out better. One time it was for a sailing from Dover, England. The air
through Celebrity was more than separate air, but it included free
transfers from Heathrow to Dover and back. Had I had to purchase
transfers separately, or gotten round trip train tix, it would have been
more with separate air. So cruise air in that case was less expensive.
It's always worth checking.

--Tom
Old May 30th, 2011, 04:50 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Goomba

Charles wrote:
In article , Patricia
Martin Steward wrote:

Word. Plus, the article doesn't make it clear whether they were
flying on the same day -- only says two flights were delayed. NEVER
fly on the same day. Never never never.

A good travel agent would have suggested that that they fly in a day
early.

One doesn't need a travel agent at all if one takes the initiative to
research what they're doing. You make it sound like first time cruisers
are universally stupid, and I disagree. Sure some want and need someone
else to hold their wee hand every inch of the way, but I sure wasn't
like that!
Old May 30th, 2011, 05:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 5/29/2011 10:50 PM, Goomba wrote:
Charles wrote:
In article , Patricia
Martin Steward wrote:

Word. Plus, the article doesn't make it clear whether they were
flying on the same day -- only says two flights were delayed. NEVER
fly on the same day. Never never never.

A good travel agent would have suggested that that they fly in a day
early.

One doesn't need a travel agent at all if one takes the initiative to
research what they're doing. You make it sound like first time cruisers
are universally stupid, and I disagree. Sure some want and need someone
else to hold their wee hand every inch of the way, but I sure wasn't
like that!

Sometimes I use a travel agent to get me perks like onboard credit. I
transfer the booking after I've picked out my cabin and put down my deposit.

Right now I'm using a TA for the Russia cruise. It's an online company
that has a department that specializes in river cruising. I got a much
better price from them than I did dealing directly with the cruise line.
Of course I called the cruise line first.

Most ocean cruise lines offer the same price as the TA offers. I will
sometimes book my own cruise and transfer it to a TA for OBC or prepaid
gratuities.

The TA gave me the price and flight information from the cruise line's
package. The flight to Moscow did not have enough time between planes
for my security. The flight back is identical to the one we booked and
I saved us several hundred dollars through Expedia. We purchased the
transfers from the cruise line and still came out way ahead.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old May 30th, 2011, 01:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Goomba
wrote:

One doesn't need a travel agent at all if one takes the initiative to
research what they're doing. You make it sound like first time cruisers
are universally stupid, and I disagree. Sure some want and need someone
else to hold their wee hand every inch of the way, but I sure wasn't
like that!

First time cruisers are universally inexperienced. And I think the
article illustrates what the average person is like. They don't go on
as many cruises as readers of this newsgroup who have been booking
cruises or other travel for years. Most people don't take the
initiative to research like we do. That is how we ended up finding this
newsgroup and other forums..... by doing research. Many people don't do
that, are not going to do that, don't know how to do that, were not
taught how to do that, are not wired to do that.

My reason though for posting the link was not to convince people to use
a travel agent. It was the passport question that came up that the
people in the article got burned on. That they were traveling with the
passport cards and not passports. Those passports cards have come up in
the past in this newsgroup and a couple of people advocated using them.
I have also had discussions on Cruise Critic arguing against people who
advocated the passport cards. The article showed why everyone should
travel on a cruise with a passport, not a passport card and not a birth
certificate with drivers license as their documents. If you ever have
to fly to or from one of the ports you need a passport. The unexpected
can happen and does happen.

--
Charles
Old May 30th, 2011, 01:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article om, Janet
Wilder wrote:

Sometimes I use a travel agent to get me perks like onboard credit. I
transfer the booking after I've picked out my cabin and put down my deposit.

Right now I'm using a TA for the Russia cruise. It's an online company
that has a department that specializes in river cruising. I got a much
better price from them than I did dealing directly with the cruise line.
Of course I called the cruise line first.

Most ocean cruise lines offer the same price as the TA offers. I will
sometimes book my own cruise and transfer it to a TA for OBC or prepaid
gratuities.

I have never called the cruise line first or even ever for a booking.
The cruise line is not going to give me the commission or any discount
for booking direct. The travel agents have given me stuff and on some
cruise lines they still can discount off their commission. Also some
travel agents are in consortiums which have group space so they can
sell you the cruise for less than the cruise line does direct or at a
lower prices than other agents can get.

If you build a relationship with a good travel agent that sells a lot
of cruises they can get you perks and onboard credits that you won't
get dealing directly with the cruise line or some other average agents.
In addition to onboard credits, free nights at the specialty
restaurant, also they have also been able to get me upgrades. And other
things I am not going to mention.

I have four cruises booked between now and the end of the year and I
did do the research and pick them before I called the travel agent, but
using the travel agent even though I already know what I want to book I
know I am coming out ahead of booking direct with the cruise line.

--
Charles
Old May 30th, 2011, 02:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Charles
wrote:

I have four cruises booked between now and the end of the year and I
did do the research and pick them before I called the travel agent,

That is the three cruise that are not group cruises. One is a group
cruise.

--
Charles
Old May 30th, 2011, 06:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Thumper

On Sun, 29 May 2011 23:50:31 -0400, Goomba
wrote:

Charles wrote:
In article , Patricia
Martin Steward wrote:

Word. Plus, the article doesn't make it clear whether they were
flying on the same day -- only says two flights were delayed. NEVER
fly on the same day. Never never never.

A good travel agent would have suggested that that they fly in a day
early.

One doesn't need a travel agent at all if one takes the initiative to
research what they're doing. You make it sound like first time cruisers
are universally stupid, and I disagree. Sure some want and need someone
else to hold their wee hand every inch of the way, but I sure wasn't
like that!

You don't need someone else to change your oil either., but many
people prefer it.
Thumper