kenya- safari

Old February 9th, 2004, 12:10 AM
JJ

Default kenya- safari

My father and I are planning a trip to Kenya in March.

I suppose some of you guys have experience with safaris in east Africa.. Please, I need your opinion ...

I found one.. great deal!! But too cheap and I'm not sure if that exist.

http://reservations.bookhostels.com/...hp?TourUID=200

Is it possible?

many thanx.

Jelena.

Old February 9th, 2004, 01:37 AM
Peter Gower

Look at my web site
www3.sympatico.ca/pandjgower
and follow the Safari link for some ideas on safaris.
Peter

Old February 9th, 2004, 03:38 AM
Eric Edwards

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 00:10:24 +0100, JJ wrote:
My father and I are planning a trip to Kenya in March.

I suppose some of you guys have experience with safaris in east Africa.. =
Please, I need your opinion ...

I found one.. great deal!! But too cheap and I'm not sure if that =
exist.=20

http://reservations.bookhostels.com/...om/tourdetail=
s.php?TourUID=3D200

Is it possible?

Likely it is supposed to be GBP53.43 per person/per day, not per trip.
That would be in range for a budget camping safari.

--
Photos and travelogues from Africa and Southeast Asia: http://www.exile.org
Old February 9th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Hans-Georg Michna

"JJ" wrote:

My father and I are planning a trip to Kenya in March.

Jelena,

a wonderful idea!

One little problem is that the rains are usually increasing in
March until they reach their height around April. Visiting
Kenya's nature reserves during the rainy season carries the risk
of week-long rainy weather.

Of course this can never be predicted with any certainty, so the
weather may just be fine, but there is a risk.

My recommendation would be to

a) try to go earlier, like very soon now,

b) try to go as early as possible in March,

c) try to pospone the trip until June, which is a very good moth
for a Kenya visit,

d) if you can't shift the time, go anyway and hope for
relatively good weather. After all, the weather in March may
still be fine or bearable, and, as we've seen in the last few
weeks, it can very well rain in Kenya outside the rainy seasons
as well.

That said, the youth hostels safari seems to be one of those
truck and camp tours. They are relatively cheap, but they are
much more problematic than the classic lodge and minibus
safaris, because you're always in a biggish group of mostly
young people and always camping out. If you can bear that, go
for it, but otherwise it would be better to pay more and go for
a more normal (i.e. also more luxurious) safari.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old February 9th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Rita Daggett

One little problem is that the rains are usually increasing in
March until they reach their height around April. Visiting
Kenya's nature reserves during the rainy season carries the risk
of week-long rainy weather.

I've been toying with the idea of going on the
the first annual Festival of Wildlife to be held at the beautiful Governors'
Camp in Kenya's Masai Mara, home of the BBC's Big Cat Diary, from 1st to 7th
April 2004.

but it doesnt seem a very good time to be in the Mara.

(its very expensive but Jonathan Scott and David Shepherd (among others) are
going to be there)

I wondered if they've chosen that time because the camps are not full!

--
Rita Daggett

Old February 10th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Pia

I wasn't able to see your itinerary. We went to Kenya/Tanzania about 4
years ago and had an amazing time. We went to the Serengetti, Ngororo
Crater and Lake Manyara. We stayed in the lodges there. The best one
was the Manyara lodge--simply incredible. The all had pools and good
food and wonderful beds. We saw all the big game and generally were
very content. We booked our travel in Nairobi itself, because the
people we booked with online before arrival changed their price we got
to Nairobi. So we went with Let's Go (I don't think they were the same
company as the Let's Go book). Make sure you get a driver who speaks
English and is clean. Ours wore the same clothes 2 days in a row and
smelled pretty bad. We paid about USD$1100/person for 5 days, I think
it was.

If you have time, I would highly, highly recommend going to see the
chimps in Jane Goodall's Gombe Stream National Park. That was the
highlight of our trip.

Pia
Old February 11th, 2004, 02:54 PM
JJ

Thanx alot!!!

I read everything. except Peter's report, I will enjoy reading it this
weekend.

Jelena

om...