Laptops in NZ

Old January 29th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Kent Feiler

Default Laptops in NZ

My wife and I are computer weenies so we want to bring our laptops
from the USA to NZ on our upcoming trip. I have a couple of questions
on this topic.

(1)Can someone recommend an ISP that we can use anywhere in the
country, and one that will allow us to purchase a one month
membership?

(2)What sort of power cord and telephone connection problems will we
have?

(3)Do most of the hotels have broadband connections for guests?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Kent Feiler
www.KentFeiler.com
Old January 29th, 2005, 10:52 PM

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:05:22 -0600, Kent Feiler wrote:

My wife and I are computer weenies so we want to bring our laptops
from the USA to NZ on our upcoming trip. I have a couple of questions
on this topic.

(1)Can someone recommend an ISP that we can use anywhere in the
country, and one that will allow us to purchase a one month
membership?

(2)What sort of power cord and telephone connection problems will we
have?

(3)Do most of the hotels have broadband connections for guests?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Kent Feiler
www.KentFeiler.com

http://www.magellans.com/store/guide/New_Zealand?Args=

Cath
Old January 30th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Mad Shutter-bug

Took mine with me several years back; 2001. Here's what I found out:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:05:22 -0600, Kent Feiler did
profoundly expound thusly:

(1)Can someone recommend an ISP that we can use anywhere in the
country, and one that will allow us to purchase a one month
membership?

Sorry, nothing here; the ISP I subscribed to at the time was global.
No worries connecting to an NZ dialup number.

(2)What sort of power cord and telephone connection problems will we
have?

I used the power adaptor that we brought with us to convert the 220 to
120; worked OK with my laptop's power supply. The telephone jack is
different, but you will be able to find adapters there without any
problems. I think you've already been offered a link for some of this
information, also.

(3)Do most of the hotels have broadband connections for guests?

I can't truly speak to that anymore; the time interval may have
changed things. Also, we tended to stay at B&B's rather than hotels.
However, no problems finding dial-up access anywhere.

Mad Shutter-bug
is located generally in North Central Florida with camera in hand
Old January 31st, 2005, 02:17 AM
RQ

I considered taking a laptop with me to NZ in 2004, but in the end decided
not to. However, a couple of observations:

-I checked out some ISP's before going..one was Clearnet, I believe, and
they said opening up an account for a month would be no problem, and that
they had a nationwide toll free access number.

-I stayed mostly at motels. In my experience, most of these types of places
would not have broadband access for guests. Also, in NZ I understand
commercial establishments like motels don't get free local calls, so many
pass these costs on to guests, whether for regular phone calls or internet
connections. Can't recall what the rate was...I wasn't making a lot of local
calls and where I did it was a relatively small cost per minute. Also, in
some cases (where they had a limited number of outside lines), there were
signs in the rooms asking guests not to tie up the lines too long with
internet access. No doubt some of these observations would differ for larger
hotels.

I ended up using the commercial internet cafes and other storefront internet
places..mainly for web-based email and surfing to keep up with news back
home etc. They are all over the place. I never used them for confidential
stuff like banking etc. though, although I noticed that some people did. As
others have commented, it's hard to know how diligent they are at keeping
spyware etc. off their machines.

RQ

Old February 7th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Aquazur-Dra