Low Cost Travel Insurance - Does anyone know of a good provider?

Old February 2nd, 2005, 05:08 AM
TravelMad

Default Low Cost Travel Insurance - Does anyone know of a good provider?

Hi All,

Does anyone know of a good low cost travel insurance providor? I'm
looking for one that I can buy and claim online with. I hear World
Nomads is good and you can extend online as well, but I'd be keen to
hear from other travellers if they know of other companies.
Cheers, TravelMad

Old February 2nd, 2005, 12:06 PM
Karen and Ken

I will be using World Nomads for my trip to Australia.... I found they
promise the most for the least $$$$..... I have no history with
them..... hopefully I don't get hurt and find out

Old February 2nd, 2005, 12:29 PM
Jack

"Karen and Ken" wrote in message
oups.com...
I will be using World Nomads for my trip to Australia.... I found they
promise the most for the least $$$$..... I have no history with
them..... hopefully I don't get hurt and find out

This site has a couple of choices, we paid for hostel world's insurance -
but no misadventures meant we did not have to claim. Price was good for what
they covered
http://www.accomodationplus.com.au/insurance.php

Old February 2nd, 2005, 02:55 PM
Raffi Balmanoukian

in article , Jack at
wrote on 2/2/05 7:29 AM:

"Karen and Ken" wrote in message
oups.com...
I will be using World Nomads for my trip to Australia.... I found they
promise the most for the least $$$$..... I have no history with
them..... hopefully I don't get hurt and find out

This site has a couple of choices, we paid for hostel world's insurance -
but no misadventures meant we did not have to claim. Price was good for what
they covered
http://www.accomodationplus.com.au/insurance.php

I've said it before....

Cheap and insurance should not be used in the same sentence. In essence,
insurance is you betting something bad (that you can't afford) will happen,
while an expert is taking a pooled actuarial bet that it won't. If you want
to do this, buy coverage from a company that:

a. actually has a decent record of paying its legitimate claims. I had to
promise litigation with WorldCare to get money out of them (their approach
*seemed* to be, "well, you're leaving shortly, what are you gonna do from
the antipodes?")

b. covers what you *need* - IMHO, what you should look for is catastrophic
coverage - stuff that will bankrupt you or make you very, very hard up if it
happens. Major medical. Repatriation. If your eyeglasses break or your
camera is nicked, can you afford a replacement? Probably. It's the little
stuff that makes up the bulk of claims, and hence premiums.

c. doesn't exclude everything but falling meteorites. Some have exclusions
for diving, motorcycling, even hiking. My all-time favourite was the
company that refused coverage for one of the Bali bombing victims because it
was an "act of war." They should have their license pulled.

Airlines and travel agents can sometimes point you in starting-place
directions.

Old February 3rd, 2005, 11:05 PM
Keith Sayers

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 13:55:05 GMT, Raffi Balmanoukian
a wrote:

My all-time favourite was the
company that refused coverage for one of the Bali bombing victims because it
was an "act of war."

Who was that, please - can you tell us?
Keith Sayers, Canberra, Australia
Mail : 6 Clambe Place,
CHARNWOOD, ACT 2615
http://www.pcug.org.au/~kmsayers
Old February 4th, 2005, 02:00 AM
Raffi Balmanoukian

in article , Keith Sayers at

a wrote:

My all-time favourite was the
company that refused coverage for one of the Bali bombing victims because it
was an "act of war."

Who was that, please - can you tell us?
Keith Sayers, Canberra, Australia

Mail : 6 Clambe Place,
CHARNWOOD, ACT 2615
http://www.pcug.org.au/~kmsayers

Unfortunately, the media didn't make it clear, so I wouldn't want to guess
incorrectly - I have my suspicions but that's all. The media, which so
often trashes good names on little fact, should have blared the identity in
the loudest voice possible, but alas....

Old February 9th, 2005, 12:35 AM

I'm the editor of Cheap Travel Insurance -
http://www.cheaptravelinsurance.com.au - we review travel insurers and
give them a rating out of 100.

The best provider we've come across so far is World Nomads -
http://www.worldnomads.com.au - followed by Travel Insurance Direct -
http://www.travelinsurancedirect.com.au

Nomads are cheap and they're the only ones we've reviewed who offer
online claims and online extensions... very cool!

Benvolio