"Upgrades" to United Economy Plus

Old August 7th, 2006, 08:22 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Dick Locke

Default "Upgrades" to United Economy Plus

One of the worst things about retiring and moving out of the US is
that I've lost all airline status. Forget about loss of income, this
status stuff is serious.

I had an itinerary on UA in regular economy recently and when I went
to check in on line 24 hours ahead, they first offered to put me in
Economy Plus for $78 (two leg trip.) I took them up on it.

My questions:

1. If I hadn't, would I have been able to move for free at when I got
to the airport if there was space in E+? I suspect yes, but I'm not
sure.

2. If this was a single leg trip, would the price have been $39?

THanks
Old August 7th, 2006, 05:04 PM posted to rec.travel.air
PTravel[_1_]

"Dick Locke" wrote in message
One of the worst things about retiring and moving out of the US is
that I've lost all airline status. Forget about loss of income, this
status stuff is serious.

I had an itinerary on UA in regular economy recently and when I went
to check in on line 24 hours ahead, they first offered to put me in
Economy Plus for $78 (two leg trip.) I took them up on it.

My questions:

1. If I hadn't, would I have been able to move for free at when I got
to the airport if there was space in E+? I suspect yes, but I'm not
sure.

It depends. UA will fill E+ if E- is sold, but otherwise, the only way in
is status or paid premium. GAs will not put someone in E+ simply because
they ask for it.

With respect to another response that you received, FAs who are following
the rules (not all of them do), will throw you out of E+ if you try to move
up.

Old August 7th, 2006, 06:13 PM posted to rec.travel.air
AES

In article . com,
" wrote:

I suspect that one way or another it either goes to those who
pay, or those with status. I guess on a lightly loaded flight
you might be able to move up after the door closes.

I'd be leery of trying that. I believe I've heard (??) that the cabin
crew will disallow it.

And even if not, unless the flight is *very* lightly loaded, if you
propose to move into a seat adjacent to an already occupied seat in the
Economy Plus section to get the added legroom, your prospective neighbor
may squawk, and the cabin crew support the squawk. One of the stated
benefits of the E+ section is that empty middle seats in that section
are filled last.
Old August 7th, 2006, 10:25 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Dick Locke

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 09:04:55 -0700, "PTravel"
wrote:

"
It depends. UA will fill E+ if E- is sold, but otherwise, the only way in
is status or paid premium. GAs will not put someone in E+ simply because
they ask for it.

That's kind of what I'm thinking about. If E- is full and E+ isn't
(and I can tell by looking at a seat map during on-line checkin) that
almost certainly means there are E- passengers without assigned seats
who will be put into E+ seats. In those circumstances I think they
would be willing to put someone who asks early enough into an E+ seat
and the person who didn't ask into the now vacant E-seat.

Old August 7th, 2006, 10:56 PM posted to rec.travel.air
PTravel[_1_]

wrote:

"
It depends. UA will fill E+ if E- is sold, but otherwise, the only way in
is status or paid premium. GAs will not put someone in E+ simply because
they ask for it.

That's kind of what I'm thinking about. If E- is full and E+ isn't
(and I can tell by looking at a seat map during on-line checkin) that
almost certainly means there are E- passengers without assigned seats
who will be put into E+ seats. In those circumstances I think they
would be willing to put someone who asks early enough into an E+ seat
and the person who didn't ask into the now vacant E-seat.

Yes, but . . . I suspect those seats are among those held for airport
assignment. Those will probably be assigned to people with status and
people on full-fare Y, first. UA oversells their flights, counting on
no-shows. No-shows occur in E- as well as E+. The E+ seats will be
assigned to people with no status/those on discount fares at, literally, the
last minute. I wouldn't recommend timing your check-in to try and grab one.

Old August 8th, 2006, 03:50 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected][_1_]

PTravel wrote:
Yes, but . . . I suspect those seats are among those held for airport
assignment. Those will probably be assigned to people with status and
people on full-fare Y, first. UA oversells their flights, counting on
no-shows. No-shows occur in E- as well as E+. The E+ seats will be
assigned to people with no status/those on discount fares at, literally, the
last minute. I wouldn't recommend timing your check-in to try and grab one.

Flew once to London on UA and was put in E+. We were booked on ticket
through United Vacations. I remember right we were assigned these seats
these seats before getting to the airport. That being said the flight
from Newark was 30-40% full and that may of had someting to do with
that.

Michael

Old August 8th, 2006, 05:59 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

using miles for 2 free tickets (west coast to hawaii)
mom and aunt got put in Economy plus on the way back.
no charges...it seems to be at the discretion
of the gate and ticket agents
when the plane is not full.
Granted they are seniors, I Had asked for ADA seats for em but none
were available.
So the nice agent put em in Economy plus!

Old August 8th, 2006, 08:14 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message AES
wrote:

In article . com,
" wrote:

I suspect that one way or another it either goes to those who
pay, or those with status. I guess on a lightly loaded flight
you might be able to move up after the door closes.

I'd be leery of trying that. I believe I've heard (??) that the cabin
crew will disallow it.

In general I'd agree, but on my last flight nobody checked any ID (and I
stood around for a minute trying to figure out which row I was supposed
to be in, there were two exit rows and I couldn't read the numbers (I
didn't have my glasses on)

I was expected my boarding pass to get checked... On the other hand, it
might be like first class where they count the people in the seats and
if all is well you don't need to check boarding passes individually.

--
If a stealth bomber crashes in a forest, will it make a sound?
Old August 9th, 2006, 08:01 AM posted to rec.travel.air
James Robinson

mrtravel wrote:

wrote:

using miles for 2 free tickets (west coast to hawaii) mom and aunt
got put in Economy plus on the way back. no charges...it seems to be
at the discretion of the gate and ticket agents when the plane is not
full. Granted they are seniors, I Had asked for ADA seats for em but
none were available.

What ADA seats? I don't think any seats really qualify as "ADA".

ADA doesn't apply to aircraft. Instead, there is a separate Air Carrier
Access Act, with the following general requirements:

- Aircraft with 30 or more passenger seats will have movable armrests on
at least one half of aisle seats, which will be made available to
passengers with mobility impairments.
- Aircraft with 100 or more passenger seats shall have a priority space
in the cabin for stowage of at least one folding wheelchair.
- Aircraft with more than one aisle must have at least one accessible
lavatory.
- Aircraft with more than 60 passenger seats with an accessible lavatory
will carry an on-board wheelchair.
- Aircraft with more than 60 passenger seats will have an on-board
wheelchair available on request for access to an inaccessible lavatory.

Note that there is nothing special required for seats, other than they
have to have a certain number with moveable armrests.

There are a couple of other operational requirements, like they have to
be able to handle passengers with guide animals somewhere on the
aircraft.

Older aircraft did not have to be retrofitted.