Looking for Wine tours in Hunter Valley: Travel by train

Old September 17th, 2003, 07:52 AM
Ranga Guruge

Default Looking for Wine tours in Hunter Valley: Travel by train

Hi,

I am looking for inexpensive Hunter Valley Wine tours
that operate from Hunter Valley Area (rather than those
day tours that start from Sydney). Does anyone
have a clue ?

I guess it would be much cheaper to travel to Hunter
Region by City Rail/Country Link or by busses
and join a Local Wine Tasting Tour.

Has anyone done this before ? Do you have anything
to share with me ?

Thanks in advance
Ranga
Student in Sydney
Old September 17th, 2003, 08:43 PM
Tony Bailey

wrote in message ...
You can get to Newcastle or Cessnock by train and tour from there.
Cheers Alan

Cessnock? - not for a long time.

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury World Travel

Old September 18th, 2003, 12:39 AM

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 06:44:17 +1000, "Geoff Lillico"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On 16 Sep 2003 23:52:29 -0700, (Ranga Guruge)
wrote:

Hi,

I am looking for inexpensive Hunter Valley Wine tours
that operate from Hunter Valley Area (rather than those
day tours that start from Sydney). Does anyone
have a clue ?

I guess it would be much cheaper to travel to Hunter
Region by City Rail/Country Link or by busses
and join a Local Wine Tasting Tour.

Has anyone done this before ? Do you have anything
to share with me ?

Thanks in advance
Ranga
Student in Sydney

Hi Ranga
Try a google based on Cessnock+tourist or Pokolbin+tourist.
Just a couple of hits I got we

http://www.totaltravel.com/travel/ns...ours/10075947/
and
http://a-oz.com/tourist_attraction_i..._valley_2.html

You can get to Newcastle or Cessnock by train and tour from there.
Cheers Alan

Sorry, but there is NO rail service to Cessnock.

Geoff Lillico

Sorry - obviously I'm a little out of date on NSW rail (I drive most
places). However, if you can find a way to get there Cessnock is the
obvious staging post for the wineries.

Cheers Ala

Old September 18th, 2003, 09:25 AM
Ranga Guruge

Hi,

Thank you very much for everyone's information.

I happen to ask the CountryLink information
centre and they gave a leaflet of tourguide
who picks visitors from Morriset train station
and start the wine tour. Looks cheap, $40.

I checked online for budget accommodation in
Pokolbin -- but it looks like accommodation is
not that cheap; atleast on-line accommodation.

I had thought a dence motel/guesthouse might
offer a double room for $50-60 a night.

If by any chance, would anyone recommend
me to go there and look for local budget
accommodation rather than going for
online cheap accomodation ?

thanks and regards
Ranga
Old September 18th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Ranga Guruge

correcting a typo;
dence = decent

Ranga
Old September 18th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Geoff Lillico

"Ranga Guruge" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

Thank you very much for everyone's information.

I happen to ask the CountryLink information
centre and they gave a leaflet of tourguide
who picks visitors from Morriset train station
and start the wine tour. Looks cheap, $40.

I checked online for budget accommodation in
Pokolbin -- but it looks like accommodation is
not that cheap; atleast on-line accommodation.

I had thought a dence motel/guesthouse might
offer a double room for $50-60 a night.

If by any chance, would anyone recommend
me to go there and look for local budget
accommodation rather than going for
online cheap accomodation ?

thanks and regards
Ranga

Cheap accommodation would be very unlikely in the actual wine areas.
Cessnock, Maitland or Newcastle should be OK. As you said above, you can be
picked up from the train at Morisset for a day trip from Sydney.

Geoff Lillico

Old September 19th, 2003, 06:36 AM
Xpoes

For what it's worth, since this was almost 4 years ago: I did a wine tour in
the Hunter Valley when I stayed at the YHA in Newcastle. The people at the
YHA arranged it for me, and I was picked up from the hostel.
Xpoes

Old September 19th, 2003, 07:20 AM
Ranga Guruge

Hi Geoff,

Thank you for your info.
It seems that I would be better off by finding
accomodation in Cessnock or Maitland.

I am wondering whether you would be able to
give me a rough idea of accomodation prices
in Cessnock or Maitland. Is it realistic to find
double/tripple accomodation for $60-80 in Maitland
or Cessnock ?

thanks and cheers
Ranga