4x4 rental in Mozambique

Old January 5th, 2006, 03:04 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default 4x4 rental in Mozambique

Hi all,

we (4 people) would like to rent a 4x4 and explore the coast+north of
mozambique in august 2006 for 3 weeks.
we're coming from europe and still don't know where it's best to land
(johannesburg? maputo? malawi/lilongwe? other?). a possibility could be
to rent the vehicle abroad, e.g. malawi, then enter into mozambique
(this all depends on the price, of course, but we've heard hiring a 4x4
was quite expensive in moz...). does that sound like a good idea?
what's the best deal?

any help or advice would be much appreciated
regards,
julien

Old January 5th, 2006, 08:53 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

check out: www.come-along.nl

maybe I can help...

reg. Hans

oups.com...

Old January 6th, 2006, 07:57 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

"jullag" schreef in bericht
oups.com...
Hi all,

we (4 people) would like to rent a 4x4 and explore the coast+north of
mozambique in august 2006 for 3 weeks.
we're coming from europe and still don't know where it's best to land
(johannesburg? maputo? malawi/lilongwe? other?). a possibility could be
to rent the vehicle abroad, e.g. malawi, then enter into mozambique
(this all depends on the price, of course, but we've heard hiring a 4x4
was quite expensive in moz...). does that sound like a good idea?
what's the best deal?

any help or advice would be much appreciated
regards,
julien

Check out this website: http://www.driveafrica.co.za/information/4x4rent.htm

I would say to land in Jo'burg and from their rent your 4x4. Via the Kruger
park you can now enter Mozambique, which is more relaxed then the borderpost
in the south (Nelspruit-Maputo).

Bushregards,

Corné.

www.amukela.com

Old January 6th, 2006, 01:01 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

thank you all for your helpful comments.
In fact we are more interested in the north of mozambique, and are a
bit reluctant to the idea of crossing the whole country from south
africa by car. How long do you think it would take to reach e.g. lake
malawi from joburg by road?
regards
julien

Old January 6th, 2006, 03:58 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Julien wrote:

How long do you think it would take to reach e.g. lake
malawi from joburg by road?

There are two ways:

via Botswana crossing the Zambezi at Kazangula then into Zambia (Lusaka -
Chipata) to reach Malawi. This will take you at least 4 - 5 days (90-100 K's
an hour)

via Zimbabwe and the Tete corridor (Mozambique) to Malawi. This will take
you 3 - 4 days.

Regards, Hans
www.come-along.nl

Old January 6th, 2006, 05:02 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

"jullag" schreef in bericht
oups.com...
thank you all for your helpful comments.
In fact we are more interested in the north of mozambique, and are a
bit reluctant to the idea of crossing the whole country from south
africa by car. How long do you think it would take to reach e.g. lake
malawi from joburg by road?
regards
julien

Hi Julien,

what also an option might be is via Jo'burg to Kruger NP, overnight at
Letaba. Next day into Mozambique and then you're already in the central part
of Mozambique.

To Lake Malawi from Jo'burg is a long way. Shortest via Zimbabwe but you
also might have delays on the border there. I would say 3 or maybe 4 days.

Bushregards,

Corné.

www.amukela.com

Old January 9th, 2006, 02:50 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

You can do Johannesburg to Blantyre via Harare in 2 days, but that's
a hell of a lot of driving (about 14 hours solid each day). Also, you
must make allowances for fuel shortages in Zimbabwe.

I have done Johannesburg to Tete in three easy(ish) days via Maputo.
You might be able to do it in 2 hard days driving, but it's
Mozambique... why rush? Personally, I'd spend a few days at least
travelling through Mozambique and enjoying the beaches, food etc.

My feeling about hiring a vehicle outside of South Africa is that you
will pay far more, and also the reliability and comfort of the vehicle
might be questionable. I have no first-hand experience though.

Which part of northern Moz are you planning to visit?

Regards,
Marc