Beware - credit card rip-off

Old April 22nd, 2004, 07:05 PM
Miguel Cruz

Default Beware - credit card rip-off

David Horne wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
Bizarrely, I still see huge clumps of people at exchange booths in airports
everywhere - even Americans in the DEPARTURE section of US airports, where
it makes the least sense -

In what way- the cost? Practically, it's where people tend to have the
spare time, waiting around- thinking about the trip, and what they're
going to do for currency, etc. On the very few occasions I've exchanged
money, it's been at the airport, usually just a small amount for a taxi
or something at the other end.

Cost, of course, is the big one, especially given the extreme
non-competitiveness of US airport currency exchange booths.

There's also time. I guess it's fun for some, but I'd rather spend the time
wandering around than standing in line - when I know it'll only be a minute
or two at the ATM on the other end. In many airports there are ATMs in the
baggage collection area so if you've checked a bag you can get money in the
true dead time while waiting for your bag.

miguel
Old April 22nd, 2004, 07:59 PM
Juliana L Holm

In rec.travel.europe Miguel Cruz wrote:
[...]

A few years ago I had to go to Munich at the last minute, because my daughter
was in the hospital (appendicitis). When I arrived in the Munich airport,
ALL the ATMs were down. Network was down. It was fairly brief, by the time
I tried again in the Hauptbahnhof it was up again, and the same ATMs worked
fine on another trip. AT that time I also had travelers' checks.

I don't carry TC any more, but I always get $50 or so in the local currency
not a lot, but enough if this happens again.

Julie
--
Julie
**********
Old April 22nd, 2004, 09:30 PM
David Horne

Miguel Cruz wrote:

Cost, of course, is the big one, especially given the extreme
non-competitiveness of US airport currency exchange booths.

There's also time. I guess it's fun for some, but I'd rather spend the time
wandering around than standing in line

Departure halls look very similar after a while. It's still dead time,
and there frequently isn't a line. I haven't experienced any anyway, and
if there was a big line, I probably wouldn't bother.

- when I know it'll only be a minute
or two at the ATM on the other end.

Oh, I don't know that at all. It's not uncommon at UK airports to have
lines, and for our great machines to be out of service. Relatively rare,
true, but it happens. Last time I arrived at Bergen, Norway, not a
single machine was working. On the return flight- no problem. In most of
those cases, I already had cash, and just wanted some more, but it's
happened enough that- if I want a quick getaway at the other end- I make
sure I have local currency when I arrive. Before the flight, I'm more
likely to be refreshed than after it, though it depends on the flight.
It also really varies by airport- getting to some ATMs can entail a bit
of a detour- everything is getting better, not worse, however.

In many airports there are ATMs in the
baggage collection area so if you've checked a bag you can get money in the
true dead time while waiting for your bag.

And when I know the airport already, or can find out online, I usually
wait until then.

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old April 22nd, 2004, 09:37 PM
Alan

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 14:31:22 +0300, "Markku Grönroos"
wrote:

I am not a "regular". However, your claim is groundless. For instance I will
use traveller's cheques on my holiday next May and June. My plastic cards
are not backed up decently when they get lost. I do have them along with me
though. As you said, paying is beneficial by credit cards. For instance in
Mexico you need cash too.

G'day

Posting from r.t.a+nz. Hi there and thanks again to those who helped me
plan my trip from r.t.e and r.t.u-c.

Forget TCs. Use ATMs. I don't know where you travel to, but you'll find
very few traders outside the major cities in Oz who want the hassle of a
TC.

Last Year I went 'round the world for nearly six months - US, USVI,
Puerto Rico, all the EU (euro) countries, Czech, Switzerland, UK,
Singapore. I carried a Visa and Bank Debit card in my wallet, and a
Mastercard in my "secret wallet" with my passport. My wife carried her
MC in her purse, and the Visa in her "secret wallet". The logic was that
if one of us had something stolen, we always had a back-up. It proved
valuable when a bank error back in Oz put a freeze on the MC for two
weeks; we were able to use the Visa in the interim until it was
corrected. Things could have become very embarassing without that.

We used the bank debit card to withdraw a few hundred dollars or
equivalent from ATMs in each new "currency change" country but used the
Mastercard or Visa for all our purchases whenever possible. I think the
only time we had any difficulty was finding an ATM in Czech near Tabor;
we did eventually.

Just make sure it's a debit card recognised in your country of travel.
Ours was the Oz NAB. Also ignore balance statements on your receipt -
they aren't designed to handle the currency conversion. And although you
could use your credit cards to withdraw at the ATM, the debit card
ensures that you don't get slugged with interest charges.

When I got home and checked the records, the average combined extra
charges from the CCs/banks converting it all back to Oz dollars was
rarely worse than 1.5 % on the best www.xe.com rate on the day. This new
nonsense wasn't happening then.

Our biggest currency cost came when we arrived home and tried to convert
the left-over cash in US$, euros, czech crowns, Swiss francs, Pounds
Sterling and Singapore dollars back into AU$. That's when they hit us
with fees, and refused to touch the coins at all. Doesn't sound like a
lot, until you realise that a single 2 pound coin is AU$5. So I have
about $150 in "souvenir change".

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Alan
Old April 22nd, 2004, 10:03 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Alan" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 14:31:22 +0300, "Markku Grönroos"

Forget TCs.

No, I don't do so.

Old April 22nd, 2004, 10:03 PM
Padraig Breathnach

Alan wrote:

Our biggest currency cost came when we arrived home and tried to convert
the left-over cash in US$, euros, czech crowns, Swiss francs, Pounds
Sterling and Singapore dollars back into AU$. That's when they hit us
with fees, and refused to touch the coins at all. Doesn't sound like a
lot, until you realise that a single 2 pound coin is AU$5. So I have
about $150 in "souvenir change".

That seems like enough to justify planning another trip.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old April 22nd, 2004, 10:15 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Default Left overs

Alan wrote:

snip

Our biggest currency cost came when we arrived home and tried to convert
the left-over cash in US$, euros, czech crowns, Swiss francs, Pounds
Sterling and Singapore dollars back into AU$. That's when they hit us
with fees, and refused to touch the coins at all. Doesn't sound like a
lot, until you realise that a single 2 pound coin is AU$5. So I have
about $150 in "souvenir change".

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Alan

Too late for you but three generic suggestions for reducing left over
currency. First, if you are on a tour or boat where tipping is expected
give the tip in your left over currency. Since guides move thru similar
areas they can usually manage easily. Second, if you are interested on
airline stuff they will manage a purchase in multiple currencies quite
easily. Third, get new money using the left over cash from the last
place. Usually it's easier there and you would be paying some fee to
get money from a home account. Finally there are charities that are
grateful for coins. FFM

Old April 22nd, 2004, 10:55 PM
Alan

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:15:43 GMT, "Frank F. Matthews"
wrote:

Alan wrote:

snip

[...]

All good advice, if I'd known it then. Unfortunately, no tours and the
only boats were Adriatic ferries. I had intended using the UK cash for
various things at the airport; but in the chaos of trying to depart on
the day of last July's BA strike it just didn't happen. At least we got
away, albeit ten hours late. And the local charities in Pottsville Beach
wouldn't get any benefit from coins they can't exchange.

So, I'll just have to use it as an excuse to return someday :-)

Cheers, Alan
Old April 22nd, 2004, 11:05 PM
tim

"Alan" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:15:43 GMT, "Frank F. Matthews"
wrote:

Alan wrote:

snip

[...]

Charities have ways of changing coins that you can't access easily.
They will be able to use them, I assure you.

My tip only works if you're driving, but if you are, make sure that
you have a near empty tank as you leave a county and find a
filling station and put just enough in to use up the rest of
your money, don't go over though as more than once I had
them refuse to split the purchase price.

tim

Old April 23rd, 2004, 01:10 AM
Tom Hatfield

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:15:43 GMT, "Frank F. Matthews"
wrote:

Alan wrote:

snip

Our biggest currency cost came when we arrived home and tried to convert
the left-over cash in US$, euros, czech crowns, Swiss francs, Pounds
Sterling and Singapore dollars back into AU$. That's when they hit us
with fees, and refused to touch the coins at all. Doesn't sound like a
lot, until you realise that a single 2 pound coin is AU$5. So I have
about $150 in "souvenir change".

Go into any airline office and offer to donate it to the "Change for
Good" campaign. I know that Qantas do it, I would supsect other
carriers would as well. They take the coins and give them to the
charity that can use them.

Makes you feel good, and helps out those who need it.

Tom