Advice re Katoomba & Spiders!

Old May 12th, 2004, 02:59 AM
Kathy Garner

Default Advice re Katoomba & Spiders!

Hi, I've another question. We'd like to visit Katoomba. Could anyone
reccommend a good place
to stay that would range from 120-170 a night for 6 people? Like most
people, we're trying to do
things on the cheap but a lot of the websites for Katoomba list very
expensive accommodation.

Also, my nephew is freaked out about Australian spiders and thinks there
will be one lurking under
each blanket. What is it with the spiders anyhow? They'd be deep in the
bush, right? He thinks we
have to be extra cautious or something. Now he's got my mom worried and
it's getting contagious.
What's the real story? Thanks.

Kathy in BC, Canada

Old May 12th, 2004, 04:13 AM
A Mate

Of course there are spiders, just as there are wolves in Canada - and I'm
sure more Canadians die under the fangs of wolves each year than Australians
die from spider bite!!! Only 2 venomous spiders are common - the redback,
which is a nervous and reclusive distant relative of the black widow (which
I believe is in Canada) - and the funnel web which is a ground dwelling
spider and not aggressive unless you break into its tunnel. I can't remember
when the last spider bite fatality occurred!!!

For cheapish accommodation go to the Blue Mountains option on:

http://www.wotif.com.au

Old May 12th, 2004, 04:22 AM
Kathy Garner

Now, calm down, "A Mate" I'll forward your reply to the kid.
Nope, never seen a wolf...only a sasquatch! :-)

Thanks for the link.

Kathy

Old May 12th, 2004, 05:26 AM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
"A Mate" wrote:

Of course there are spiders, just as there are wolves in Canada - and I'm
sure more Canadians die under the fangs of wolves each year than Australians
die from spider bite!!! Only 2 venomous spiders are common - the redback,

uh no, You are perpetuating myths. No one has been killed by wolves in
Canada for a generation or 2. Dogs, definitewly, dingoes definitely,
but not wolves.

I wager more Aussies die from spiders in..... 6 months than Canadians
from wolves in the past 20 years

Old May 12th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Tony Bailey

"Not the Karl Orff" wrote in message news:canwine-
I wager more Aussies die from spiders in..... 6 months than Canadians
from wolves in the past 20 years

Interestingly-

http://www.general.monash.edu.au/muarc/hazard/haz35.pdf

reports 46 cases of spider bite attending emergency departments in Victoria
in 5 years, with NO deaths,

There were 5 deaths in those 5 years from other stings/bites - 3 from
allergic reaction to bee stings and 2 from snake bite.

For heavens sake - be VERY careful crossing the road.

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury Travel Books

Old May 12th, 2004, 06:29 AM
Tony Bailey

"Not the Karl Orff" wrote in message news:canwine-
I wager more Aussies die from spiders in..... 6 months than Canadians
from wolves in the past 20 years

Overseas visitors to Queensland may find the reasons for hospital visits
listed here of interest-

http://www.qtic.com.au/documents/WILKS2_000.pdf

As one might expect, the major risk is MVAs!

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury Travel Books

Old May 12th, 2004, 06:34 AM
Tony Bailey

"Not the Karl Orff" wrote in message news:canwine-
I wager more Aussies die from spiders in..... 6 months than Canadians
from wolves in the past 20 years

For those interested in snake bite treatment -

http://www.rfds.org.au/monographs/snakebite.pdf

This paper seems to suggest that snake bite treatment is so advanced in
Australia, that, if you must be bitten - Australia, in the vicinity of a
hospital, is probably the safest place to have it happen -

BTW 2.6 deaths per year - MVA about 3 000!

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury Travel Books

Old May 12th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Ross

Just had a visit to Katoomba (and other places in NSW) and did'nt see a
spider the whole time we were in Katoomba.

Maybe because I just don't think about them or look for them. Spiders are
not a particular concern in most places in Oz.

Like to have a look at some photos of Katoomba?

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/rwanddem/index.html

Ross

Old May 12th, 2004, 07:56 AM
Peter Webb

I had never seen a funnel web spider until we put a swimming pool in our
backyard - now I fish 2 or 3 out of the pool every year. Nor had I ever seen
a snake in the suburbs; I dragged one out of the pool filter box last Xmas
day. Not bad for 12 kms from the centre of Sydney! (Am I making you feel
any better yet?)

As Tony and the others said, you have essentially zero chance of dying from
spider bite. About 2 or 3 people in Sydney are bitten each year (Sydney is
the centre of the funnel-webs range); there have been no deaths at all since
about 1970 when an anti-venene was discovered. I doubt a tourist has ever
been bitten by a funnel web, let alone died from a bite. Redbacks are less
of a concern, as they are not as poisonous - typically only children and the
elderly are at real risk of death if bitten.

Despite the overseas image of Australia as inhabited by spiders, snakes,
sharks, crocodiles, box jellyfish, baby-eating dingos, blue-ringed
octopusses and serial killers (he seemed a nice man, but kept to himself a
lot), Australia would have to be one of the safest countries in the world
for inhabitants and visitors alike.

Chill, and remember to drive on the left when you are here - that really
will kill you a damn site faster than any spider you may find in your
underpants.

Old May 12th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Craig Hamilton

G'day Kathy,

Yep I'm scared of spiders too, and I live here. We have no more spiders than
anyone else I think. We do have a few big hairy ones though, but they mostly
are out of sight and you're unlikely to see one unless you do get into the
bush and then you probably won't see them anyway.

If you're after some more Australia information on the web, have a look at
www.mr-travl.com

Craig.