cheaper to book tickets separately on same airline?

Old January 22nd, 2008, 04:22 AM posted to rec.travel.air
FlyChick

Default cheaper to book tickets separately on same airline?

Just looking at the Icelandair website for our upcoming trip to
Iceland and continuing on 2 weeks later to Amsterdam on same airline.
If I look at booking the price for the 2 flights separately it is much
cheaper. If I use their multicity or stopover search and book the
whole trip at one time it is almost $700pp more! Checked it 3 times,
same everytime.
What's up with that? Am I missing something? FlyChick
Old January 22nd, 2008, 06:53 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Graham Harrison[_2_]

"FlyChick" wrote in message
Just looking at the Icelandair website for our upcoming trip to
Iceland and continuing on 2 weeks later to Amsterdam on same airline.
If I look at booking the price for the 2 flights separately it is much
cheaper. If I use their multicity or stopover search and book the
whole trip at one time it is almost $700pp more! Checked it 3 times,
same everytime.
What's up with that? Am I missing something? FlyChick

Nothings up. It's the way prices are sometimes.

A word of warning. On your way home are you planning to change in Iceland
again? If you are allow a night between flights. The point is that the
airline will treat each ticket as a separate contract. If the flight to
Iceland is delayed in such a way that you miss the onward they will consider
that they have satisfied their contract to you on the ticket to Iceland and
that, by not checking in for the flight from Iceland on time you have broken
your contract for the 2nd ticket and that you will have to buy a new (high
priced) ticket home.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:42 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mr. Travel

FlyChick wrote:

Just looking at the Icelandair website for our upcoming trip to
Iceland and continuing on 2 weeks later to Amsterdam on same airline.
If I look at booking the price for the 2 flights separately it is much
cheaper. If I use their multicity or stopover search and book the
whole trip at one time it is almost $700pp more! Checked it 3 times,
same everytime.
What's up with that? Am I missing something? FlyChick

Market based pricing.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:43 AM posted to rec.travel.air
VS[_1_]

In article ,
Graham Harrison wrote:

If the flight to
Iceland is delayed in such a way that you miss the onward they will consider
that they have satisfied their contract to you on the ticket to Iceland and
that, by not checking in for the flight from Iceland on time you have broken
your contract for the 2nd ticket and that you will have to buy a new (high
priced) ticket home.

... or, much more likely, they'll just let her stand by for the
next flight. In my experience, airlines - with a few exceptions like
Ryanair and such - treat missed flights exactly the same way whether
the passenger had a flat tire on the way to the airport or had a
separately booked connection that arrived late. They just let them
go standby on the next flight.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 08:36 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Graham Harrison[_2_]

"VS" wrote in message
In article ,
Graham Harrison wrote:

If the flight to
Iceland is delayed in such a way that you miss the onward they will
consider
that they have satisfied their contract to you on the ticket to Iceland
and
that, by not checking in for the flight from Iceland on time you have
broken
your contract for the 2nd ticket and that you will have to buy a new (high
priced) ticket home.

... or, much more likely, they'll just let her stand by for the
next flight. In my experience, airlines - with a few exceptions like
Ryanair and such - treat missed flights exactly the same way whether
the passenger had a flat tire on the way to the airport or had a
separately booked connection that arrived late. They just let them
go standby on the next flight.

I beg to differ. I accept that even within an airline ther are anomalies
but, increasingly, airlines outside of the US are getting stricter on this
issue. Certainly I know that BA do their utmost to enforce the "no
connection on two tickets" rule and hearing people in industry meetings the
upper echelons of other EU based carriers have the same view.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 02:11 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Rog'

"Graham Harrison" wrote:
A word of warning. On your way home are you planning to change
in Iceland again? If you are allow a night between flights. The point
is that the airline will treat each ticket as a separate contract. If the
flight to Iceland is delayed in such a way that you miss the onward
they will consider that they have satisfied their contract to you on the
ticket to Iceland and that, by not checking in for the flight from
Iceland on time you have broken your contract for the 2nd ticket
and that you will have to buy a new (high priced) ticket home.

Even if he only needed to pay a change fee for a new reservation, the
OP might have to wait another day (or two) for available seats. We
had the last flight out from Athens to Frankfurt and an AM flight from
Frankfurt to Orlando, ticketed separately. If our first flight cancelled,
we would have been royally screwed in a variety of ways. Travel
insurance might have covered the mess, but still...

Old January 22nd, 2008, 03:34 PM posted to rec.travel.air
VS[_1_]

In article ,
Graham Harrison wrote:

... or, much more likely, they'll just let her stand by for the
next flight. In my experience, airlines - with a few exceptions like
Ryanair and such - treat missed flights exactly the same way whether
the passenger had a flat tire on the way to the airport or had a
separately booked connection that arrived late. They just let them
go standby on the next flight.

I beg to differ. I accept that even within an airline ther are anomalies
but, increasingly, airlines outside of the US are getting stricter on this
issue.

Not in my experience. Folks miss flights for all sorts of reasons:
because they overslept, because their car broke down or was stuck in
traffic, or because their other, separately booked flight was late.

In my experience, the airline sighs and lets you go standby on the
next flight. Happened to me several times. I've never heard of anyone
being forced to buy a new ticket because they got to the airport an
hour late (except on Ryanair). That's my experience, yours may
differ.

If I were the OP, I wouldn't worry too much. This is a non-issue.

Certainly I know that BA do their utmost to enforce the "no
connection on two tickets" rule and hearing people in industry meetings the
upper echelons of other EU based carriers have the same view.

Don't know about the upper echelons, but I know that in reality, if you
miss your flight on BA, they'll let you stand by for the next flight.
Happened to me. As a matter of fact, I doubt they can ``enforce''
anything since they neither know, nor care why you are late.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:57 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On 22 Jan, 15:34, (VS) wrote:
In article ,

Graham Harrison wrote:
[...]

It is a real issue if the following flights are full and infrequent.
And it is still discretionary. Of course it helps if it is the same
airline.

I would still make sure I had a long connection time.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:36 AM posted to rec.travel.air
VS[_1_]

In article ,
Craig Welch wrote:

I've never heard of anyone
being forced to buy a new ticket because they got to the airport an
hour late (except on Ryanair).

That's becoming quite common with cut-price airlines.

I am not surprised that cut-price airlines are imitating Ryanair's
worst policies. But the OP is flying Icelandair. Not my favorite
airline, but I doubt they'll force her to buy a new ticket if she is
late to the airport.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:43 AM posted to rec.travel.air
VS[_1_]

In article ,
wrote:

I would still make sure I had a long connection time.

It may not be possible to arrange a long connection time if she is
flying from AMS via KEF. It's been a couple of years since I passed
through KEF, but if I remember correctly, most of their European
flights arrive in one big bank in late afternoon, and the US flights
depart 1-1.5 hours later. Which normally makes for a fairly convenient
connection.