Cozumel news

Old October 26th, 2005, 03:43 PM
George Leppla

Default Cozumel news

This is from http://help.stormcarib.com/read.php?5,4463

COZUMEL, Mexico (October 25, 2005) - Cozumel tourism officials acknowledge
the island has sustained substantial damage from Hurricane Wilma, but with
the gradual restoration of primary services, efforts to facilitate the
return of tourist to their homes are moving quickly ahead.

According to Raul Maruffo, director of the Cozumel Tourism Promotion Board,
"The most important thing is that people are safe. There were no tourists
injured as a result of the storm and our goal now is to facilitate both air
and ferry transportation so that the remaining travelers can return home
safely."

Current updates from the island as of 5:00 p.m. Central Time:

.. The Cozumel airport sustained some damage but the runway is open and the
airport is operating. As of today, (Tuesday, October 25) Mexicana Airlines
began flights out of Cozumel to Mexico City. In addition, Mexicana Airlines
is expected to continue flights tomorrow (Wednesday, October 26) and
American Airlines will also provide a flight out of Cozumel to Dallas
tomorrow. The destination is working with these and other airline partners
to arrange additional flights to the U.S. to help remaining tourists on the
island return home.

.. Some tourists began travel home yesterday (Monday, October 24) morning,
taking the ferry to Playa Del Carmen and catching buses to the Merida
Airport for flights home. Coupled with the flights to the U.S. from Cozumel
scheduled for tomorrow (Wednesday, October 26), Cozumel officials expect the
majority of tourists to have left the island by mid-day Thursday, October
27.

.. Ferry services between Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen began operating at
9:30 a.m. yesterday morning (Monday, October 24) and have been running
continuously since that time. The ferry has been operating free of charge
for tourists and locals.

.. Approximately 1000 tourists currently remain in Cozumel. Tourists have
been relocated to downtown hotels, which have sustained less damage from the
storm and are well supplied to accommodate guests.

.. Telephone service is operating. Hotel properties housing travelers are
assisting guests with calls home to family and friends.

.. Cozumel coastal hotels and resorts have suffered extensive damage and most
are closed for damage assessment. More specific information will be provided
as it becomes available.

.. Currently all cruise ship piers remain closed. The Punta Maya Pier was
lost during the storm. The remaining International and Punta Langosta Piers
have sustained damages but are still intact and are being assessed.

Electricity remains out on the island. Fuel is available for generators
currently operating. Additional generators are being brought to the island
to help restore basic electricity and sewage, and are expected to arrive
tomorrow

--
George in PA http://www.countryside-travel.com

The Mother of All Group Cruises 2 - http://www.moagc2.com/
May 20, 2006, Caribbean Princess - http://cruisemaster.com/caribprin.htm
October 29, 2006 - SLEAZY 4! http://cruisemaster.com/sleazy4.htm

Old October 27th, 2005, 03:06 AM
Tom K

Why on earth would 1000 tourists remain on Cozumel knowing a huge hurricane
was approaching?

--Tom

Old October 27th, 2005, 03:25 AM
Charles

In article , Tom K
wrote:

Why on earth would 1000 tourists remain on Cozumel knowing a huge hurricane
was approaching?

It doesn't surprise me. There is a certain percentage of the population
that is clueless.

--
Charles
Old October 27th, 2005, 03:40 AM
Jean O'Boyle

"Tom K" wrote in message
Why on earth would 1000 tourists remain on Cozumel knowing a huge
hurricane was approaching?

That's what I can't figure either, Tom...Just like the news showed some
people in Florida who were without food and water..They had days to prepare
and some just neglected to do it...Then they complain the loudest...I'm not
talking about all the people in Florida... We know at least a dozen families
who were well prepared ahead of time.. It seems there are some who just do
not THINK! I remember when they thought that Katrina was going to affect us
here, I had gallons of water, plenty of canned foods and food that did not
need refrigeration, batteries, flashlights, candles, cars were both filled
with gas and all I could think that we would need for ten days on hand...In
the end, thankfully, we were not affected at all. Why in the world don't
people use some common sense? We'd have high tailed it for home as soon as
we heard about the hurricane!

--Jean----the older I get, the less I understand some people's behavior!

Old October 27th, 2005, 05:13 AM
Tom K

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message
t...

"Tom K" wrote in message
Why on earth would 1000 tourists remain on Cozumel knowing a huge
hurricane was approaching?

That's what I can't figure either, Tom...Just like the news showed some
people in Florida who were without food and water..They had days to
prepare and some just neglected to do it...Then they complain the
loudest...I'm not talking about all the people in Florida... We know at
least a dozen families who were well prepared ahead of time.. It seems
there are some who just do not THINK! I remember when they thought that
Katrina was going to affect us here, I had gallons of water, plenty of
canned foods and food that did not need refrigeration, batteries,
flashlights, candles, cars were both filled with gas and all I could think
that we would need for ten days on hand...

If I lived where you live, I'd have had that too... in a hotel in Las Vegas.
I'd have been outa there.

One time, a few years ago, one of our guys at work didn't have to common
sense to not go to Puerto Rico a few days before a hurricane hit. He spent
a few days living with a few hundred other people in the ballroom of his
hotel. No power. No A/C. No water.

--Tom

Old October 27th, 2005, 05:13 AM
Tom K

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , Tom K
wrote:

Why on earth would 1000 tourists remain on Cozumel knowing a huge
hurricane
was approaching?

It doesn't surprise me. There is a certain percentage of the population
that is clueless.

Good point...

Old October 27th, 2005, 05:42 AM
Jean O'Boyle

"Tom K" wrote in message
If I lived where you live, I'd have had that too... in a hotel in Las
Vegas. I'd have been outa there.

We're at least 150-200 miles inland, depending where the hurricane is
headed, so we sometimes only get alot of rain and flooding and maybe a brief
power outage, if any.
We would not need to go to Vegas...although that does sound like a good idea
that I might suggest to Ed next time! vbg

One time, a few years ago, one of our guys at work didn't have to common
sense to not go to Puerto Rico a few days before a hurricane hit. He
spent a few days living with a few hundred other people in the ballroom of
his hotel. No power. No A/C. No water.

You forgot...No brains! Or wise use of one, anyway.
Having lived in Puerto Rico for three years, we went through many drills
getting ready for hurricanes!

--Jean

--Tom

Old October 27th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Brian K

On 10/26/2005 10:06 PM Tom K after palpating a Ginkgo, electronically
interjected:

[...]

Maybe they just couldn't get flights off the island in time. Let's not
forget that both Cozumel and Cancun airports were a mob scene before
Wilma. WNBC-TV interviewed some young girls in their 20's, they had
been waiting at Cancun airport for 16 hours to get a flight. I think
that it unfair to assume that all 1000 tourists were inept.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old October 27th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Cathy Kearns

"Tom K" wrote in message

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , Tom K
wrote:

Why on earth would 1000 tourists remain on Cozumel knowing a huge
hurricane
was approaching?

It doesn't surprise me. There is a certain percentage of the population
that is clueless.

Good point...

On the news today they talked to one family that just returned and asked
that very question. Four days before the hurricane hit they tried to book a
flight out, all flights were full. Three days before they tried going down
to the aiport spent the day there to get on standby, no luck. Two days
before they again tried to get on a flight, no luck, flights were full. The
day before the hurricane they spent finding a safer hotel farther from the
water.

I'm disappointed some percentage of the population immediately jumped to the
conclusion that it was the fault of the folks stuck in the hurricane, and
then called them names.

Old October 27th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 15:13:13 GMT, Cathy Kearns wrote:

"Tom K" wrote in message

"Charles" wrote in message

[...]

Disappointed in Chuckie and Tom?

That's like being disappointed to find out the sun is hot.
--
"Modern music is a sick puppy" -Zappa