U.S. House votes to allow Cuban tourism

Old September 11th, 2003, 05:46 AM
Meghan Powers

Default U.S. House votes to allow Cuban tourism

[Hmmm. Cuba has Castro and thugocracy. Yea, well the US has Bush and
idiocracy.]

------------
http://interestalert.com/brand/sitei...ational%20News

U.S. House votes to allow Cuban tourism

WASHINGTON, Sept. 10 (UPI) -- The House ignored GOP opposition and
voted Wednesday to approve an amendment allowing American tourists to
travel to Cuba.

Supporters of the amendment, which was offered by Rep. Jeff Flake,
R-Ariz., said the proposal would advance freedom in the communist
nation. Opponents said it would only bolster Fidel Castro's
dictatorship.

The amendment, attached to the Treasury and Transportation Departments
appropriations bill, passed 227-188.

CNSnews.com said House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas, issued a
statement saying: "This amendment would reward injustice. There is no
such thing as a 'Cuban tourism industry.' There is only Fidel Castro
and his thugocracy."

Supporters, however, told CNSnews.com the 40-year attempt to isolate
the communist nation both politically and economically has failed and
lifting the U.S. travel ban is the first step in changing that policy.

Current law allows Americans to visit Cuba but only with special U.S.
government approval. President Bush has said he will veto the
appropriations bill if it contains the Cuban travel amendment.
Old September 11th, 2003, 07:47 AM
mrtravel

Meghan Powers wrote:

CNSnews.com said House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas, issued a
statement saying: "This amendment would reward injustice. There is no
such thing as a 'Cuban tourism industry.' There is only Fidel Castro
and his thugocracy."

Right.. Like Cuba is the only country with a lack of democracy
Of course there is a tourism industry in Cuba
I would go if just to look at the old cars.

Old September 11th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Mark Hewitt

"Meghan Powers" wrote in message

CNSnews.com said House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas, issued a
statement saying: "This amendment would reward injustice. There is no
such thing as a 'Cuban tourism industry.' There is only Fidel Castro
and his thugocracy."

Hmm. If I walk down to our high street and into the travel agents I can buy
a package holiday deal to Cuba.. Sounds like tourism to me!

Old September 11th, 2003, 03:08 PM
Casey

The House ignored GOP opposition and voted Wednesday to
approve an amendment allowing American tourists to travel to
Cuba.

The House actually showed some independence?

President Bush has said he will veto the appropriations bill if it
contains the Cuban travel amendment.

Yet another reason to throw this moron out of office in 2004.
It is not the government's business to interfere with Americans
wanting to visit Cuba. Cuba is not a dangerous place, so the
government should butt out.

Casey

Old September 11th, 2003, 05:02 PM
Miguel Cruz

Casey wrote:
The House ignored GOP opposition and voted Wednesday to
approve an amendment allowing American tourists to travel to
Cuba.

The House actually showed some independence?

They passed this last year too. Never made it anywhere.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old September 11th, 2003, 06:26 PM
Simon Elliott

Jenn writes
if Cuba had been opened to tourism 30 years ago -- it would probably be
a democracy today -- this of course may not be what the exiles want --

Cuba is open to tourism, from everywhere except the US.
--
Simon Elliott
http://www.ctsn.co.uk/

Old September 11th, 2003, 07:33 PM
me

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message ...
"Meghan Powers" wrote in message

CNSnews.com said House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas, issued a
statement saying: "This amendment would reward injustice. There is no
such thing as a 'Cuban tourism industry.' There is only Fidel Castro
and his thugocracy."

Hmm. If I walk down to our high street and into the travel agents I can buy
a package holiday deal to Cuba.. Sounds like tourism to me!

Well, I'm no supporter of DeLay, and I'm kinda wishy washy on the
whole trade with Cuba thang anyway. But, his real point is that,
like virtually any industry in Cuba, it is effectively all "owned"
by Castro. He has his fingers in most everything. This is only
slightly different from a country which taxes everthing. The
difference being predominately in the "patronage" aspect of the
jobs associated with it. Now, it is true, that there is a
"gray market" associated with tourism in Cuba, and that in and
of itself may be a good thing.
Old September 11th, 2003, 07:48 PM
Casey

if Cuba had been opened to tourism 30 years ago -- it would
probably be a democracy today -- this of course may not be

what the exiles want --

Cuba is open to tourism, from everywhere except the US.

Very true. I think it will require the death of Castro to free Cuba,
just like the death of Stalin radically changed the USSR, albeit
not as radical as 1991.

Casey

Old September 11th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Mike Schumann

It's interesting that anyone with family in Cuba is free to go there. If
everyone was prohibited from going there, regardless of family connections,
you'd hear some real screaming from some of the most vocal opponents to
tourism in the Cuban exile community, who want to take away our rights to
travel freely anywhere in the world, while they preserve their rights to
visit their families and send them money, which is where Castro is getting
the biggest chunk of his foreign exchange.

Mike Schumann

news