Grand Canyon from Las Vegas

Old August 5th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Xavier

Default Grand Canyon from Las Vegas

Hi all!

Many of you already know that I'm planning a trip to Las Vegas and several
other cities and I've already received many helping tips.

Thanks a lot for your help. Indeed.

I wonder if you could help me in one of the most "problematic" parts of the
trip: the Grand Canyon.
I say "problematic" because of the distance from Las Vegas and the many
people that visits the N.P. in summertime.

Some of you have told me to reserve and plan well ahead our stay in both
Yosemite and the Grand Canyon, since there might be some problems finding a
lodge.

I beg you to tell me the best route from Las Vegas to the canyon. I think we
should take the I35 and at some point, head to the North Rim, is that right?
Should we go to Jacob Lake and then go to the North Rim? or do you advice to
go to Marble Canyon once in Jacob Lake? (or is that too far....)

Which are the best places to look for a lodge? I've seen than in-park
lodging is quite expensive, so maybe out-of-park might be cheaper....but
haven't find any info!

Since I've been told that the best moments to stay there is at sunrise or
dusk, we plan to sleep near the N.P, so we can see the sunset. The next
morning, get up very eary to see the sunrise and to avoid the crowds, visit
the park in one or two days and go back to Las Vegas, and from there, to Los
Angeles.

For those of you who have helped me, I must say that, at the end, we've
changed our route. We'll start from S.F., then go to Las Vegas, Grand Canyon
and finaly to L.A. We've done that because many of you have said that L.A is
not as interesting as the rest, so we prefer to spend most of the time in
San Francisco, Yosemite, Las Vegas and Grand Canyon and spend only a couple
of days in L.A. Do you thing this has been the right decision??? Whatever it
may be,.... we've already bought the airplane tickets....

As you can see, I have lots of questions. I hope I'm not asking too much....

Thanks!!
Xavier

Old August 5th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Juliana L Holm

Xavier wrote:

I beg you to tell me the best route from Las Vegas to the canyon. I think we
should take the I35 and at some point, head to the North Rim, is that right?
Should we go to Jacob Lake and then go to the North Rim? or do you advice to
go to Marble Canyon once in Jacob Lake? (or is that too far....)

Which are the best places to look for a lodge? I've seen than in-park
lodging is quite expensive, so maybe out-of-park might be cheaper....but
haven't find any info!

On the North RIm the lodging options are limited. If you can stay in
Jacob Lake. It's 40 miles out, but that is the best combination of value/
closeness that I know of.

However, there may be a closer lodge, but I cannot remember any details about
it.

Unless you spring for in the park lodging. I would do this if it were up
to me; I'd consider this an important splurge.

Check out the web page at www.kaibab.org. TONS of information, which should
include that lodge I can't remember anythign about.

--
Julie
**********

Old August 5th, 2004, 04:06 PM
JamesStep

I beg you to tell me the best route from Las Vegas
to the canyon. I think we should take the I35 and at
some point, head to the North Rim, is that right?

Perhaps you already know this, but most folks go to the
*south* rim. The north rim is beautiful and has the advantage
of being less crowded; the south rim is also beautiful plus it
has many more facilities for visitors. I'd suggest using a tour
book or the web to research both before deciding which rim
to visit.

The last time I drove from Vegas to the Grand Canyon we drove
on route 95 southeast to route 40, then route 40 east to Williams,
then north on 64 and 180 to the south rim. It's roughly a
5 hour drive plus whatever time you spend stopping for food or
rest rooms.

James

Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-
Old August 5th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Hatunen

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 14:30:42 +0200, "Xavier"
wrote:

[...]

Lodging inside the parks is limited and requires reservations
long in advance. Staying outside the park is simple; for instance
Flagstaff has a lot of motels. From Flag it is an easy drive to
the Canyon, and you can add the short sidetrip through Sunset
Crater and Wupatki Naional Monuments, driving through the Grand
Canyon park from east to west.

Old August 5th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Juliana L Holm

Hatunen wrote:
I beg you to tell me the best route from Las Vegas to the canyon. I think we
should take the I35 and at some point, head to the North Rim, is that right?
Should we go to Jacob Lake and then go to the North Rim? or do you advice to
go to Marble Canyon once in Jacob Lake? (or is that too far....)

Lodging inside the parks is limited and requires reservations
long in advance. Staying outside the park is simple; for instance
Flagstaff has a lot of motels. From Flag it is an easy drive to
the Canyon, and you can add the short sidetrip through Sunset
Crater and Wupatki Naional Monuments, driving through the Grand
Canyon park from east to west.

The OP wants to go to the North Rim. (He specified crowds as a problem, so
I have assumed he really does want the North Rim.)

Staying outside the park is more difficult (and further away) there.

Julie

Old August 5th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Graham Harrison

I've only been to the South Rim but I seem to recall that my investigations
into the North Rim showed there was much less accommodation there (just one
lodge) and that the nearest accommodation outside the park was considerably
further away that the 8/9 miles from the South Rim to Tusayan. On the
other hand if you go beyond Tusyan the nearest places are Williams and
Flagstaff (both at least 50 miles from the South Rim).

I know the accommodations in the park can get pricey but I tend to take a
deep breath and pay up. It's usually worth it and I think the Canyon is
one of those places where it is worth it.

--
*****
*****The "return to" address embedded in this mail is wrong as an antispam