Accessing an accident report from Surete du Quebec?

Old August 8th, 2004, 10:53 PM
K C

Default Accessing an accident report from Surete du Quebec?

"Yanik Crépeau" wrote in message ...
"K C" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

We were in an accident in Quebec this weekend. Got a police report
number to give to insurance etc. The problem is we didn't see the
report. Everyone was taken to the hospital and the cops didn't really
want to talk to anyone.

Does anyone know if there's a website where we can look up the report?
I know that in Ontario one can look up police reports online.

Thanks,

Kevin

There is no police reports available on line. These documents are
confidential and are protected by the law. If you are involved in an
accident, you can have a copy of the report, of course, but you may not
sneak your neighbour's (or mother in law's) details if they are involved in
an accident where you are not concerned.

These principles are written black on white on the "Loi de protection des
renseignements personnels".

Usually, the insurance companies get the reports for you.

Well, we want the police report for a couple of reasons.

1. We want to know what they say happened, since they didn't ask for a
statement from anyone in the van.
2. we think the accident was caused because the axle snapped, but that
might not be what the police report says. ie. it could look like
"loss of control" or "reckless" as well.

All the cops did was ask the driver if they were drinking, (which they
were not) and that's it. The cops then said "we'll talk to you later
at the hospital" but they didn't show up.

I have a report number but that's about all.

If there was a ticket involved or charges etc, how would we find out?
Wouldn't Surete Quebec contact us for the week that we were in Quebec
in hospital and recovering?

Thanks!