Bicycle Along the Gold Coast?

Old November 14th, 2005, 07:57 AM

Default Bicycle Along the Gold Coast?

Is it possible to bicycle from one end of the Gold Coast to the other?
Is there a bicycle path? Is the Gold Coast expensive in general? I am
looking for a place in Australia that is by the beach with hot days in
January, lots of resturants but not too expensive. Any recommendations?
Also, bicycle friendly is important.

Old November 14th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Peter Webb

wrote in message
oups.com...
Is it possible to bicycle from one end of the Gold Coast to the other?
Is there a bicycle path? Is the Gold Coast expensive in general? I am
looking for a place in Australia that is by the beach with hot days in
January, lots of resturants but not too expensive. Any recommendations?
Also, bicycle friendly is important.

Hmmm. You want somewhere in Australia that's hot in January, with lots of
restaurants, and near the beach. That's going to be tough.

The Gold Coast is not expensive. But its not exactly the sort of place that
people with bikes tend to visit - it more a V8 / people mover / gun firing
range / pens that you turn upside down and the bikini comes off the girl
sort of place.

What sort of thing do you want? I don't know if there is much in the way of
bicycle tracks around the gold coast, but personally I wouldn't want to
bicycle along the main drag at any time of the year, and particularly in
January.

Australia has the longest (navigable) coastline of any country in the world,
and a lot of it is beaches. What else are you looking for?

Old November 14th, 2005, 09:57 PM

I just want to bicycle. I don't like sitting around. I want to able to
stop every couple of hours and get a sports drink. I like hot (30C)
weather with no rain if possible. I also like to swim but the ocean
must be warm more than (22C). Is Perth any good? The Sunshine Coast?
Sydney?

What is V8 and people mover?

Old November 15th, 2005, 12:05 AM
Big Jim

V8 is an engine shaped like a V with 8 cylinders and is installed into cars
that people want to go fast.

People movers are cars/vans that carry many passengers.

I don't know about the Gold Coast but January is the middle of summer so of
course it is going to be hot and depending on where you are in Australia,
you may have to wait until the evening before it cools down to 30c.

Where I live, I will be happy if the temperature is less than 40c, in the
shade, on any day in January.

Regards: Jim Sibbick

ups.com...

Old November 15th, 2005, 12:16 AM
A Mate

a place in Australia that is by the beach with hot days in January, lots
of resturants but not too expensive

All the above, except for 'not too expensive' are available at literally
hundreds of locations!

January is Summer School Vacation time. It's peak holiday time - and
accommodation prices are at their highest - up to 4x the 'normal' prices!!
And - traffic in resort areas is at its most dense, crowds at their peak!!

oups.com...

Old November 15th, 2005, 01:42 AM

I saw the average high temperature from Brisbane and it's not abover
30C at anytime of the year. Do you live further up north?

Old November 15th, 2005, 02:53 AM
AlmostBob

average temperature 30

half the year below 30,
half the year, the half that some dumbass wants to ride a bike, above
thirty, way above

--
like fu_ a porcupine
1000 pri_ks against one

Old November 15th, 2005, 02:58 AM
Crooner

wrote in message
oups.com...
I saw the average high temperature from Brisbane and it's not abover
30C at anytime of the year. Do you live further up north?

That low-ish average is because there are lots of wet days when the temp is
under 30C. But most January days in Brisbane typically hover around the
32-34C mark. And it's usual to encounter at least one week where the temps
are in the high 30s. For the coastal areas, subtract 1-2 degrees.

You also need to take humidity into account. While 30C may not seem all that
hot, the accompanying humidity can be debilitating.

Personally, the Gold Coast is the last place I'd want to be in January -
overpriced and over-run by holidaying families. As for cycling it, only if
you have good accident/life insurance or have a kamikaze streak.

You may want to consider the Tweed area which is just south of the Gold
Coast: Kingscliff, Hastings Point, Pottsville. The Sunshine Coast has better
cycling tracks in my opinion, but bear in mind it will also be crowded and
expensive in January.

Old November 15th, 2005, 04:22 AM

Does the Tweed area have a diversity of restaurants? Will I see snakes
if I'm biking along the back streets?

Old November 15th, 2005, 04:24 AM

PS. I forgot. What is the cost of 24 hour internet access in the area?
Is it easy to get installed if I renta a cottage or flat?