travel recommendations within Oz

Old November 18th, 2005, 06:20 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Default travel recommendations within Oz

Hey All

I'm going to be in oz for 10 weeks starting in january. We (2 of us)
are flying in/out of Melbourne. The plan is to travel up the gold coast
(yes, I know, not very original!). Anyways, we're debating on trying to
buy a car/van to travel in while we're there. THe thinking is, if it's
somethign we could live/sleep in, it would save us a bunch of money on
accomodations and such.

My questions a
- Is this a good idea?
- Is there a lot of vehicles like this for sale in the backpacker
circles (ie hostels) in Melbourne?
- What do you do for auto insurance?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

Old November 18th, 2005, 07:34 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

My questions a
- Is this a good idea?

Re vehicle purchase:

It depends - do you know what to look for in a vehicle (roadworthiness,
etc.), and more importantly do you have a game plan for disposing of it
(friends in-country with whom you can leave it, storage, or are you prepared
to dump it for a small fraction of its true value to one of the edge-of-town
dealerships with salespeople in plaid jackets and plastic flags on the
bonnets of dusty Falcons?

For ten weeks, I'd say probably not.

- Is there a lot of vehicles like this for sale in the backpacker
circles (ie hostels) in Melbourne?

Heaps 'n' heaps.....but beware that most of them have gone through 50 grubby
hands and have been around Australia 20 times on the same oil change ;-)

- What do you do for auto insurance?

public casualty liability is automatically included in the rego (so the
expiry date is highly relevant to you). Third party PROPERTY liability is
optional as is coverage on your own vehicle, and purchased privately (I'm
told it can be a bit of a bother for non-residents).

Old November 18th, 2005, 10:15 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey All

I'm going to be in oz for 10 weeks starting in january. We (2 of us)
are flying in/out of Melbourne. The plan is to travel up the gold coast
(yes, I know, not very original!). Anyways, we're debating on trying to
buy a car/van to travel in while we're there. THe thinking is, if it's
somethign we could live/sleep in, it would save us a bunch of money on
accomodations and such.

My questions a
- Is this a good idea?
- Is there a lot of vehicles like this for sale in the backpacker
circles (ie hostels) in Melbourne?
- What do you do for auto insurance?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

An old Kombi is a great way to travel around, plenty to be had
in the $4000 to $8000 range, I'd avoid the ones advertised in
backpackers and have a look in the Trading Post (also www.),
even eBay.

The kombis have limitations - 80kph top speed is a good self
imposed one, but you can pretty well park up overnight anywhere
and avoid paying any camp site fees at all. Most beachside car
parks have showers and toilets - and a few old surfers sleeping in
their kombis! Often BBQs are nearby as well - ah what else
could you want in life apart from a cold beer straight out of your
circa 1979 Electrolux fridge.

Of course you should visit Bali on the way to ensure that you are
dressed correctly whilst driving a kombi - tie dyed pants, shirts,
etc. dreadlocks also look good so maybe a wig when you get to
Melbourne. The downside is that you meet a lot of the boys in blue
as they search you for various quantities of illegal substances and
bore you to death with stories about when they owned a kombi. The
other downside is that every one driving a kombi nowadays seems
to be a baby boomer reliving their depraved youth with the missus,
which sort of takes the shine off the "free love" concept IMHO.

Buying a vehicle over $1000 requires that the seller provides a
roadworthy certificate (RWC) which is required when you transfer
the vehicle into your name. No RWC = dont buy it. You can hand
over about $150 to the RACV (automobile club) and have them give
the vehicle a thorough test - they can also provide insurance over
and above the third party injury insurance that comes with the Rego.
You also have to pay government stamp duty (tax) on the transfer
to you, about 1.5% if I remember correctly. Dont avoid paying this
as the vehicle is not yours when you try to sell it. Try and get an
address in Melbourne that you can use for paperwork to be mailed
to.

Selling the vehicle at the end of the trip can be a lottery, but lets
assume that accomodation would cost 2 of you a minimum of $50
a night in backpackers after 10 weeks you've saved at least $3500
so if you drop your price by say $2000 to get a quick sale then you
are still $1500 ahead just on accomodation - let alone fares, food,
etc.

The big advantage is that you can get to see some of the better places
that buses and trains dont even think about going to.

Old November 19th, 2005, 09:51 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey All

I'm going to be in oz for 10 weeks starting in january. We (2 of us)
are flying in/out of Melbourne. The plan is to travel up the gold coast
(yes, I know, not very original!). Anyways, we're debating on trying to
buy a car/van to travel in while we're there. THe thinking is, if it's
somethign we could live/sleep in, it would save us a bunch of money on
accomodations and such.

My questions a
- Is this a good idea?
- Is there a lot of vehicles like this for sale in the backpacker
circles (ie hostels) in Melbourne?
- What do you do for auto insurance?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

I would just get the bus if your there for only 10 weeks. You dont wana be
messing around buying van that ends up breaking down with sucj short time.

--
www.simcard.me.uk/australian_sim_card.htm Australian Sim Cards
www.poms.co.uk/forum/index.php Backpacking Australia Forum.

Old November 19th, 2005, 01:04 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 09:51:53 -0000, "www.poms.co.uk"
wrote:

"Matt" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

As a "motorhomer" for several years I've found that the old
"free and easy" days when you could park overnight where you
wanted are long gone. You can still find many spots - but
you will also find lots of places now have signs banning
overnight stays. There has been lots of political pressure
from caravan parks missing out on site fees.

Use the bus, or the trains, or simply rent a car and stay in
cheap motels (AU$60-100 per room per night, see
www.wotif.com.au)- that can be almost the same cost as
buying a wreck and paying repairs. And much, much more
comfortable. Accommodation can be even cheaper if you stay
in "transportables" (like European mobilhomes) in caravan
parks. Timing is important - early January accommodation
will be expensive and limited in holiday areas; after the
kids go back to School in early February prices will drop
and availability will improve dramatically.

Renting a motorhome/RV can be expensive. Maybe my mum will
rent you hers - but I doubt it (she's usually using it:-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old November 19th, 2005, 07:57 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

"Alan S" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 09:51:53 -0000, "www.poms.co.uk"
wrote:

"Matt" wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

Rental vans can be reasonable. Check these people out. I think they are the
cheapest. They certainly are popular.
http://www.wickedcampers.com.au/pricing/index.cfm

Old November 19th, 2005, 11:57 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 06:57:20 +1100, "Kerry"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Matt" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Matt

If you go that route, try these as well. They are the ones I
see most often on the roads between the Gold coast and
Melbourne. I have no idea as to their quality or rates
though:

http://www.maui.com.au/
http://www.britz.com.au/
http://www.keacampers.com/australia/default.asp

But you still won't be able to park in just any pleasant
spot you come across.

You'll find lots more info and links he
http://www.motorhomesaustralia.net/links.html

The CMCA site is especially good, but you may need to join.
From their site:
"The Cost of joining (incl GST) for FULL and ASSOCIATE
members is AU$60.50 (AU$16.50 joining fee + AU$44.00 annual
subscription. Overseas members have an additional AU$15
postage charge for a total of AU$75.50."
Among other things they have a member's market of motorhomes
for sale.
http://www.cmca.net.au/

Personally, I'd still rent a small car and stay in motels.
Alternatively, fly between major centres and rent cars from
those centres. That way you can spend some time in
Melbourne, Sydney and Coolangatta/Gold Coast using public
transport and local tours for much of the time and only pay
car rental for the specific trips, say a week or two from
each centre. Fares are often on special between those
centres - see www.virginblue.com.au or www.jetstar.com.au
The train from Sydney to Brisabane is also interesting - but
long and no cheaper. I still like it. Overseas visitors used
to be able to get a ticket that allowed breaks in the
journey without penalty - it may be still available, see
www.countrylink.info. Click on "Travel Passes".

If you really want to save money, rent a car and buy a tent.
Among other things, it can be a real pain in the neck when
you've stopped for the night, set up the motorhome for
sleeping (adjusted levels, popped the top, made the bed,
turned on the LPG, unsecured the cooking things etc), and
realise that you have to pack up to go to town to buy milk
and groceries for dinner. Additionally, getting used to
driving on the opposite side of the road is enough fun in a
small car without adding a few extra tons of motorhome
behind you.

Just my opinion - you'll have a great time whatever you
decide:-)
Cheers, Alan, Australia