[OT] Danger Danger Danger!!!

Old January 2nd, 2004, 01:17 PM
mag3

Default [OT] Danger Danger Danger!!!

A few years ago, I wrote a trip report on my travel to Australia and in
particular, my visit to Australia Zoo to see the "Crocodile Hunter," Steve
Irwin. Several RTA'ers questioned his sanity in his activities. Well,
apparently now there's much more to question!

There are news reports on this morning's TV showing Steve feeding a crocodile
in one of his normal zoo demonstartons, but holding his new infant son his his
other arm while doing so. The media in the US are likening it to Michael
Jackson dangling his son over the balcony in Germany! Crikey!

Dave P, how's it playing down under?

__________________________________

Regards,
Arnold.

(E-mail address altered, to prevent spamming. :-|
Remove all asterisks and the *hates*spam* to get true address.)
Old January 3rd, 2004, 06:58 AM
Dave Proctor

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 08:17:56 -0500, mag3
wrote:

A few years ago, I wrote a trip report on my travel to Australia and in
particular, my visit to Australia Zoo to see the "Crocodile Hunter," Steve
Irwin. Several RTA'ers questioned his sanity in his activities. Well,
apparently now there's much more to question!

There are news reports on this morning's TV showing Steve feeding a crocodile
in one of his normal zoo demonstartons, but holding his new infant son his his
other arm while doing so. The media in the US are likening it to Michael
Jackson dangling his son over the balcony in Germany! Crikey!

I agree with them - he was hand-feeding a croc, less than a metre
away, with his kid in his arms. Having seen it, I think he was
irresponsible in the extreme.

Dave P, how's it playing down under?

A to-be-expected outcry, he has attempted to justify it by saying he
was "in total control at all times" (how can you be with a wild animal
so close?) and so on. Queensland government have said they will not be
doing anything about it.

I personally think he should have the book thrown at him.

Dave

=====

NSW Rural Fire Service - become a volunteer today.

http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/
Old January 3rd, 2004, 07:51 AM
nobody

Dave Proctor wrote:
A to-be-expected outcry, he has attempted to justify it by saying he
was "in total control at all times" (how can you be with a wild animal
so close?) and so on. Queensland government have said they will not be
doing anything about it.

Considering his Australia Zoo is a big tourist attraction (for now), I suspect
that he will get privileged treatment in order to preserve the economic
activity his establishement generates. It will be interesting however how the
general public react to this and if this incident will get sufficient coverage
around the world that some networks will stop carrying his TV programme.

Irresponsible, perhaps not, but definitely an unhealthy dose of over
confidence leading to undue/unwarrented risk. He's done much more dangerous
things with crocs so mere feeding was probably considered very very safe by
him.

What I disliked was the "use" of his newborn baby as a prop for his show.
Old January 3rd, 2004, 11:58 AM
mag3

Quoting nobody regarding [OT] Danger Danger Danger!!!
in a message dated Sat, 03 Jan 2004 02:51:23 -0500:

Dave Proctor wrote:
A to-be-expected outcry, he has attempted to justify it by saying he
was "in total control at all times" (how can you be with a wild animal
so close?) and so on. Queensland government have said they will not be
doing anything about it.

[SNIP]

Irresponsible, perhaps not, but definitely an unhealthy dose of over
confidence leading to undue/unwarrented risk. He's done much more dangerous
things with crocs so mere feeding was probably considered very very safe by
him.

Agreed, and what gets me is, I know for a fact that he takes all kinds of
precautions safetywise protecting the zoo patrons from harm. The day I was
there (circa 30/11/2000), a construction crew had knocked down a live electric
power line parallel to the main road leading into the zoo entrance. In effect,
it cut off the zoo from the main parking lot. Both he and his wife Teri joined
several other crew members standing guard across the main road for an hour or
more not letting anyone across the road where the line was lying. Everyone had
to go around it. So as you say, I really don't think he's that *irresponsible.*
This was just a bad judgement call. Very Bad!

Hopefully, he's learned one thing from this. Perceptions/Appearances are
*everything!* I'm sure he believed he *was* in control. But the public, and
more importantly, the "media" felt he wasn't. And I have to agree with
public/media this time. But see below.

What I disliked was the "use" of his newborn baby as a prop for his show.

Yeah. He is quoted as saying that since his children are going to be "wrestling
crocs" as they grow older, it's important to introduce them as "early as
possible" to the experience, hence the theme of that demo. As I said, baaaad
judgement. He also said he had done this before with his older daughter
Bindi-Sue (when she was near that age) and the media didn't even bat an eye. I
think he has Mr. Michael Jackson to thank for the "change in public/media
sensitivity."

Thanks all! (Dave, Craig, nobody :-) ).

__________________________________

Old January 4th, 2004, 04:26 AM
mag3

Quoting Craig Welch regarding [OT] Danger Danger
Danger!!! in a message dated Sun, 04 Jan 2004 09:54:11 +1000:

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 02:51:23 -0500, nobody
wrote:

Considering his Australia Zoo is a big tourist attraction (for now), I suspect
that he will get privileged treatment in order to preserve the economic
activity his establishement generates. It will be interesting however how the
general public react to this and if this incident will get sufficient coverage
around the world that some networks will stop carrying his TV programme.

I wouldn't think so. The whole incident will blow over in a few
days.

Not quite yet. It's too sexy a news story for the US Media to give up at this
point. They were still going at it earlier this morning, broadcasting the
newsconference in front of Steve's house with all his family present and
interviewing an Australian TV journalist live (I forget her name - young &
blonde).

When the US media is done with him, then it will blow over I think.