Count On NYC To Go Car-Free....

Old April 13th, 2004, 01:22 AM
Steve Austin

Default Count On NYC To Go Car-Free....

Count on New York City to go car-free within the next two decades.

Old April 13th, 2004, 09:23 AM
alohacyberian

"127.0.0.1" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 18:22:39 -0600, "Steve Austin"
wrote:

Count on New York City to go car-free within the next two decades.

never

Yeah, I gotta big picture of the taxi drivers going along with that one! ;-)
There's be an armed insurrection! KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect

Old April 15th, 2004, 07:32 AM
Brian K

On 04/12/2004 8:22 PM Steve Austin wrote:

Count on New York City to go car-free within the next two decades.

Yeah, and count on the Pope becoming a Rastafarian. :-P

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old April 15th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Miguel Cruz

Brian K wrote:
Steve Austin wrote:
Count on New York City to go car-free within the next two decades.

Yeah, and count on the Pope becoming a Rastafarian. :-P

Within the next two decades?

miguel
Old April 15th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Michael Gallagher

wrote:

Count on New York City to go car-free within the next two decades.

If you're talking about the five burroughs, it's be interesting to see
what happens if most households end up having accounts with Zipcar (
http://www.zipcar.com ) or some other car sharing (
http://www.carsharing.net ). At the very least a per capita
reductions.

If you're talking about the Greater New York Metropolitan area, which
is the "real city" anyway, private cars are more entrenched, but there
is a trend for families to own just one car and rent a second only as
needed; this is the niche Enterprise ( http://www.enterprise.com ) is
going for. Zipcar also is positioning cars at Metro North railroad
stops.

Add to that is the growing pouplarity of motor scooters. Although not
as prevelant as they are in Europe, seeing my first scooter is a sign
of Spring for me. (You haven't lived until you see this HUGE biker
guy in a storm trooper helmet tooling around on this tiny red motor
scooter. But you WILL live if you just keep driving and don't talk
to him about it!)

So will New York be "car free" if the above trends continue for twenty
years?

I have no idea.

But it should be interesting!

Old April 15th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Michael Gallagher

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 08:23:31 GMT, "alohacyberian"
wrote:

I gotta big picture of the taxi drivers going along with that one! ;-)
There's be an armed insurrection! KM

"Car free" usually means no private cars; cabs, I think, are ok.

Old April 16th, 2004, 12:31 AM
Shawn Hearn

In article ,
"Steve Austin" wrote:

Count on New York City to go car-free within the next two decades.

Sure, and what next, pigs flying? NYC will go carless only when buying
and maintaining a car is so expensive that it is beyond the reach of
most New Yorkers and those who visit or commute to New York City.
Old April 16th, 2004, 02:44 AM
Miguel Cruz

Shawn Hearn wrote:
"Steve Austin" wrote:
Count on New York City to go car-free within the next two decades.

Sure, and what next, pigs flying? NYC will go carless only when buying
and maintaining a car is so expensive that it is beyond the reach of
most New Yorkers

Is that the flapping of pig wings I hear?

miguel
Old April 16th, 2004, 04:39 AM
TCS

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:31:26 -0400, Shawn Hearn wrote:
In article ,
"Steve Austin" wrote:

Count on New York City to go car-free within the next two decades.

Sure, and what next, pigs flying? NYC will go carless only when buying
and maintaining a car is so expensive that it is beyond the reach of
most New Yorkers and those who visit or commute to New York City.

NYC is already mostly car-less. I doubt even 1/2% of those who live in the
city drive one on a daily basis. With the cost of garaging a car, paying the
taxes, and the fact that it won't get you anywhere faster than the subway, it
makes little sense to have one.

It doesn't make any sense to keep a car for vacations either. For a small
fraction of the cost of car ownership and storage, you can rent a car.

If you bother to notice the cars on the roads of NYC, you'll note that most
are public transportation (buses, taxi's) or playthings of the very rich.
Old April 16th, 2004, 04:57 AM
Frank F. Matthews

If your definition of being 'car free' is not using a car on a daily
basis then much of the world has always been car free. Even here in
Texas the home of the free ranging auto there are occasional days when I
don't happen to drive.

While there may be a bunch of folks on Manhattan who don't have cars I
doubt that the 1/2% will apply to the entire city. I had a friend who
went to graduate school on Manhattan and one of his real joys was that
his dorm room came with a parking space. He said that he felt like one
of the elite.
FFM