Take cell phone on trip?

Old July 4th, 2004, 05:48 AM
Thomas Bushnell, BSG

Default Take cell phone on trip?

Pavel writes:

For me, I have an elderly mother that I need to be in contact with in
case of an emergency. It's one thing to leave your cell at home while
on vacation but it's another if safety is a concern. However, I
totally agree that a lot of people on vacation are not really on
vacation because they bring their laptop and talk business.

I think a better choice than a cell phone--which might not work at
all--is to make sure that the people back home have the phone number
of the front desk where you will be staying, and let the front desk
know that you may need to be fetched in event of an emergency.
Old July 4th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Pavel

"Thomas Bushnell, BSG" wrote in message
: Pavel writes:

: I think a better choice than a cell phone--which might not work at
: all--is to make sure that the people back home have the phone number
: of the front desk where you will be staying, and let the front desk
: know that you may need to be fetched in event of an emergency.

Indeed, that's a given. However, I may be in town or on the
beach....or worse, the hotel doesn't give me the message.

Old July 4th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Pavel

It depends on your cellphone provider and what kind of cell phone you
have. In addition, some carriers require you to set up "international
roaming" at home before you leave. It sounds like you need a GSM
[world] phone.

"Mildred Savalier" wrote in message
: I could never get my phone to work in the Caribbean
: Have tried in several countries and its a no go but I always bring
in so I
: can call my ride home from the gate as soon as we land.

Old July 8th, 2004, 03:18 PM

BTW,Hope you have a better time at the Riveria Maya than we did.

Why?

What happened?
Old July 8th, 2004, 03:18 PM