Traveling on one-way tickets

Old December 21st, 2015, 04:48 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
W. Wesley Groleau

Default Traveling on one-way tickets

Although I intend to comply with length-of-stay limits, I don't want to
pre-plan anything.

If I arrive in a Schengen country on a one-way ticket, what kind of
proof do I need that I am solvent enough to buy a ticket out?

--
Wes Groleau
Old December 21st, 2015, 06:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake, MVP

On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 21:48:36 -0600, "W. Wesley Groleau"
wrote:

Although I intend to comply with length-of-stay limits, I don't want to
pre-plan anything.

If I arrive in a Schengen country on a one-way ticket, what kind of
proof do I need that I am solvent enough to buy a ticket out?

I have always had return tickets when I arrived, but I don't remember
ever having been asked to prove that I had them.

Old December 21st, 2015, 07:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Király[_1_]

W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
Although I intend to comply with length-of-stay limits, I don't want to
pre-plan anything.

If I arrive in a Schengen country on a one-way ticket, what kind of
proof do I need that I am solvent enough to buy a ticket out?

Going on a bike tour?

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 04:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
W. Wesley Groleau

On 12-21-2015 12:01, Király wrote:
W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
Although I intend to comply with length-of-stay limits, I don't want to
pre-plan anything.

If I arrive in a Schengen country on a one-way ticket, what kind of
proof do I need that I am solvent enough to buy a ticket out?

Going on a bike tour?

Partly. Doing some volunteer work in Spain and Romania, but also doing
a few hundred kilometers on bicycle.

--
Wes Groleau
Old December 22nd, 2015, 04:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
W. Wesley Groleau

wrote:

Although I intend to comply with length-of-stay limits, I don't want to
pre-plan anything.

If I arrive in a Schengen country on a one-way ticket, what kind of
proof do I need that I am solvent enough to buy a ticket out?

I have always had return tickets when I arrived, but I don't remember
ever having been asked to prove that I had them.

I was definitely asked in Wales last June, and in that case I did have a
ticket out, but they still gave me a hard time about whether I was
solvent enough for the ten days till the flight.

But since you mention it, this time I start in Spain, and the last time
I was there they didn't ask.

--
Wes Groleau
Old December 22nd, 2015, 04:34 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
W. Wesley Groleau

wrote:
If I arrive in a Schengen country on a one-way ticket, what kind of
proof do I need that I am solvent enough to buy a ticket out?

It probably depends on the country where you arrive and the immigration guys.

Spain, then later by land to Romania.

"As little time as possible" was a winning answer to "How long do you intend to
stay here?" when arriving at Schiphol before UK was in the EU.

By contrast, I would like to have spent longer last spring when I had a
two-day layover at Schiphol.

--
Wes Groleau
Old December 22nd, 2015, 04:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
W. Wesley Groleau

On 12-21-2015 21:34, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
By contrast, I would like to have spent longer last spring when I had a
two-day layover at Schiphol.

oops. It was actually October 2014, not last spring.

--
Wes Groleau
Old January 2nd, 2016, 12:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 12/21/2015 04:48 AM, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
Although I intend to comply with length-of-stay limits, I don't want to
pre-plan anything.

If I arrive in a Schengen country on a one-way ticket, what kind of
proof do I need that I am solvent enough to buy a ticket out?

The problem might arise before you even get there, when you want to
check in for the flight. We had that problem once going the other way
(Europe-Mexico) and the checkin clerk said we needed a return ticket in
case we were refused entry and the airline would have to fly us back.
Just following orders of course.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 11:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

If I arrive in a Schengen country on a one-way ticket, what kind
of proof do I need that I am solvent enough to buy a ticket out?

All British passengers going to continental Europe by Ryanair fit
that description. There's no problem.

Old January 10th, 2016, 12:36 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
W. Wesley Groleau

On 01-02-2016 16:30, Jack Campin wrote:
If I arrive in a Schengen country on a one-way ticket, what kind
of proof do I need that I am solvent enough to buy a ticket out?

All British passengers going to continental Europe by Ryanair fit
that description. There's no problem.

Seems like your answer would not apply to American passengers going to
continental Europe by KLM. (or Mexicans/United or ....)

--
Wes Groleau