Advice sought about airline faires

Old February 20th, 2008, 06:21 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default Advice sought about airline faires

Just a week ago, my girlfriend found a flight from LA to Rome in late
July/early August for under $700. Just a week before that, I found
flights from LA to Rome at the same time for about $725. I thought
that these were great prices and knew that I had to buy soon. I got
my taxes done yesterday (I had to know how much my refund would be
before buying airline tix) and then looked on travelocity to find that
the flight faires from LAX to Rome for July/August had literally
doubled! The lowest faire was $1,344 via United -- I have never seen
faires that high in my entire life.

Now with summer approaching, will airline tickets continue to soar or
should I bide my time and wait for prices to hopefully tumble back to
a reasonable price. Thanks for your expert advice.
Old February 20th, 2008, 02:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
me[_5_]

On Feb 20, 12:21*am, wrote:
Just a week ago, my girlfriend found a flight from LA to Rome in late
July/early August for under $700. *Just a week before that, I found
flights from LA to Rome at the same time for about $725. *I thought
that these were great prices and knew that I had to buy soon. *I got
my taxes done yesterday (I had to know how much my refund would be
before buying airline tix) and then looked on travelocity to find that
the flight faires from LAX to Rome for July/August had literally
doubled! *The lowest faire was $1,344 via United -- I have never seen
faires that high in my entire life.

Now with summer approaching, will airline tickets continue to soar or
should I bide my time and wait for prices to hopefully tumble back to
a reasonable price. *Thanks for your expert advice.

No. Barring some unusual international event or economic
collapse, airfares will generally continue to rise. People are
booking
their summer trips about now and will continue to do so into
the spring. If you don't do it soon, it will be unlikely that the
fares will
fall between now and July.

Old February 20th, 2008, 03:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
coolblock

I have fought this battle about twice a year for the past 8-10 years.
My solution is to constantly check fares.use sidestep,hotwire,and any
of those other price searching tools. I bought tickets two weeks ago
to Brussels and two days later they were $300 higher and since then
they have dropped so just be patient. Most likely you will find
something you can afford sooner or later.
Old February 20th, 2008, 11:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Anonymouse[_3_]

me wrote:
On Feb 20, 12:21 am, wrote:
[...]

Hi,

travelocity.com has a thing called "farewatcher" that will monitor fares
for you.

--

Hackamore
http://www.hackamore.com
Old February 20th, 2008, 11:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Traveller[_5_]

wrote in message
Just a week ago, my girlfriend found a flight from LA to Rome in late
July/early August for under $700. Just a week before that, I found
flights from LA to Rome at the same time for about $725. I thought
that these were great prices and knew that I had to buy soon. I got
my taxes done yesterday (I had to know how much my refund would be
before buying airline tix) and then looked on travelocity to find that
the flight faires from LAX to Rome for July/August had literally
doubled! The lowest faire was $1,344 via United -- I have never seen
faires that high in my entire life.

Now with summer approaching, will airline tickets continue to soar or
should I bide my time and wait for prices to hopefully tumble back to
a reasonable price. Thanks for your expert advice.

Mate, tt's a lottery. You want to travel to Europe at the same time as
everyone else in North America... basically, the only advice I can give you
is - if you see a fare you are happy to pay, book it there and then.
Someone else on the plane will *always* have paid less than you, and someone
else will always have paid more, to sit in the same seat... I would say that
$700 sounds like good value and I would snap that up if you see it again

Old February 21st, 2008, 12:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Király[_1_]

In rec.travel.europe wrote:
Just a week ago, my girlfriend found a flight from LA to Rome in late
July/early August for under $700. Just a week before that, I found
flights from LA to Rome at the same time for about $725. I thought
that these were great prices and knew that I had to buy soon. I got
my taxes done yesterday (I had to know how much my refund would be
before buying airline tix) and then looked on travelocity to find that
the flight faires from LAX to Rome for July/August had literally
doubled! The lowest faire was $1,344 via United -- I have never seen
faires that high in my entire life.

What airline is your g/f flying on? Did she find her prices on
Travelocity too?

If you are considering flying on any IATA-member airline (like United),
which comprises the bulk of transatlantic travel, you are wasting your
time looking for deals on any website. Avoid even the airlines' own
websites. You need to go to a consolidator travel agent to the best
fare on a regular airline.

List of IATA-member airlines:
http://www.iata.org/membership/airli..._list?All=true

See if charter flights are available from your area, and also check if
any non-IATA member discount airlines have suitable routes. For these,
you can usually find the best deal on their airline's website.

I'll echo what the others are saying. Start looking now. Everything
affordable for this summer will be sold out soon.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old February 21st, 2008, 10:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
erilar

I wonder what an airline faire would be like. Where would they hold it?
In a gathering of tents, each staffed by people selling shares in
airlines?

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument is
that reason doesn't count. --Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo*

Old February 22nd, 2008, 09:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
grusl[_3_]

"erilar" wrote in message
I wonder what an airline faire would be like. Where would they hold it?
In a gathering of tents, each staffed by people selling shares in
airlines?

In the spirit of RenFaire, I would expect vastly overweight people spilling
out of ill-fitting and inauthentic pilot and flight attendant costumes
gathered around a stall selling the worst of inflight food

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old February 22nd, 2008, 09:57 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Feb 21, 1:43*pm, erilar wrote:
I wonder what an airline faire would be like. *Where would they hold it? *
In a gathering of tents, each staffed by people selling shares in
airlines?

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument is
that reason doesn't count. * * --Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex:http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo*

Ha/ha! I usually never dare to misspell anything but I got lazy
because I was rushing. You guys just have too much time on your
hands. And you're not very fair either.