Seeing eye dogs on Princess...should I cancel?

Old August 31st, 2004, 07:27 PM
R&M

Default Seeing eye dogs on Princess...should I cancel?

Just was told that on Diamond Princess 10/16 cruise there will be 11
blind peolple with their seeing eye dogs...have been given the option
of cancelling...what does the group think???
Old August 31st, 2004, 07:55 PM
Don & Lynn

It's a very big ship. Live and let live. Have a great cruise,
Don

om...

Old August 31st, 2004, 08:03 PM
RayC

R&M wrote:

Just was told that on Diamond Princess 10/16 cruise there will be 11
blind peolple with their seeing eye dogs...have been given the option
of cancelling...what does the group think???

That is kind of up to you. If you can't stand to be around
dogs, then cancel.

However, if you are just worried about an occasional doggie
accident, well, I am sure that the ship's staff will get
them cleaned up quickly and effectively.

In general, seeing eye dogs are kept clean, are well behaved
and very well trained. Unlike most kids and a lot of their
parents! ;-)

Just my $.02

--
Ray Contreras
Old August 31st, 2004, 08:09 PM
George Leppla

"R&M" wrote in message
Just was told that on Diamond Princess 10/16 cruise there will be 11
blind peolple with their seeing eye dogs...have been given the option
of cancelling...what does the group think???

Something doesn't sound right here. This cruise is after final payment and
Princess would rather eat their own intestines than refund a cruise fare.
On top of that, in 10+ years as a travel agent I have never seen a cruise
line offer a refund on a paid cruise because of any kind of "group" that
might be on the ship. It is against every cruise line's policy that I have
ever heard to divulge the makeup of any cruise group. I can't imagine
Princess calling anyone and telling them that there were 11 blind people on
a ship... or 511 children or 211 people traveling with scooters or 811
people who would get drunk or 1211 employees of a French Canadian Bank.

OTOH... Princess does sometimes overbook a cruise and will offer incentives
to move to another ship but again, I have never heard of them giving anyone
the option of canceling.

Beyond those issues I wonder why having 11 guide dogs for the blind would
matter to anyone other than the blind people?

--
George in PA http://www.countryside-travel.com

Sleazy 3 - Carnival Conquest http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy3.htm
The Mother of All Group Cruises http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com
Miracle in May - http://www.cruisemaster.com/miracle.htm

Old August 31st, 2004, 08:16 PM
Gayle A Kortright

Unless you're allergic to dogs or terrified of them why would you think
of canceling?

Gayle

Old August 31st, 2004, 08:27 PM
RTCReferee

Tony Rice wrote:

(R&M) wrote in
. com:

Just was told that on Diamond Princess 10/16 cruise there will be 11
blind peolple with their seeing eye dogs...have been given the option
of cancelling...what does the group think???

If you are deathly alergic to dogs then you should cancel. If not, I have
no idea why you would even consider cancelling.

Assistance animals will be far better behaved that most people on the
cruise.

AOL does not bring up the original Google post from sdcruisers just the post
from Tony Rice.

To respond to sdcruisers:

There was a cruise to Alaska on the Regal Princess on May 26, 2004 that
included many "seeing-eye" dogs, though I recall the number was more like 20+
dogs. It was a 10-day cruise, round trip from San Francisco. That's twice as
many dogs on a smaller ship. I would not have chosen that Regal Princess
sailing, and would have cancelled it had I been booked, not because there is a
dog or two on the ship, but based on the numbers of dogs present. However, it
may have been OK. It was simply a big unknown. I think that cruise was the
first to have so many dogs onboard.

My suggestion would be to get some feedback from passengers who actually
cruised on that sailing to see what the impact on their cruise experience was.
It may have been moderate, and it may have been significant. I would try all
of the following: Google, Cruise Critic, CruiseMates, and Cruise Addicts.

I have cruised and dined with blind people before, but they did not bring their
dogs along. They got along just fine with their cane and their loved one with
them, including on shore excursions. In fact, one of the most active cruise
participants on one of our cruises, a 10-day Caribbean cruise with six port
stops, was a blind man. Nothing slowed him down. Based on that experience, I
tend to feel that for most blind people, the service animals are not REQUIRED
on vacation if they have a traveling companion with them, though I realize they
would miss their dog.
Old August 31st, 2004, 08:35 PM
Dillon Pyron

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:09:44 -0400, "George Leppla"
wrote:

"R&M" wrote in message
Just was told that on Diamond Princess 10/16 cruise there will be 11
blind peolple with their seeing eye dogs...have been given the option
of cancelling...what does the group think???

Something doesn't sound right here. This cruise is after final payment and
Princess would rather eat their own intestines than refund a cruise fare.
On top of that, in 10+ years as a travel agent I have never seen a cruise
line offer a refund on a paid cruise because of any kind of "group" that
might be on the ship. It is against every cruise line's policy that I have
ever heard to divulge the makeup of any cruise group. I can't imagine
Princess calling anyone and telling them that there were 11 blind people on
a ship... or 511 children or 211 people traveling with scooters or 811
people who would get drunk or 1211 employees of a French Canadian Bank.

I agree, I've never heard of a cruise line telling anyone about a
group on board. And like you said, Princess is NOT going to let the
money out of their hands.

OTOH... Princess does sometimes overbook a cruise and will offer incentives
to move to another ship but again, I have never heard of them giving anyone
the option of canceling.

Cancel? Sure, all the time. But I wouldn't expect any money back.
And they sure wouldn't give some cock & bull story about blind people.
That would sure **** off a bunch of people.

Beyond those issues I wonder why having 11 guide dogs for the blind would
matter to anyone other than the blind people?

This has almost all the trappings of a troll, except it's not
anonymous.

--
dillon

When I was a kid, I thought the angel's name was Hark
and the horse's name was Bob.
Old August 31st, 2004, 08:42 PM
RTCReferee

"George Leppla" wrote:

"R&M" wrote in message
[...]

We discussed this earlier this year, here on RTC. The Regal Princess May 26th
sailing had a large group of seeing-eye dogs onboard and anyone who checked on
that sailing date with Princess was notified (because of a flashing light on
the reservationist's monitor) that the cruise was "at capacity for seeing-eye
dogs" or service animals or whatever the wording then was. Princess also
informed passengers, through their TA's, of that large booking.

I think it is absolutely appropriate and commendable that Princess notifies
prospective passengers when a large group of animals is onboard the ship, no
matter how wonderful seeing-eye dogs are. All passengers have rights and that
includes the rights of those who choose to cancel based on this group. Some
people are very allergic to animal dander, or as some have pointed out, have an
intense fear of dogs, which would make them very uncomfortable, due to the
larger numbers onboard.

I applaud Princess for being upfront and giving ALL their passengers the right
to make informed decisions. What's right for one person is not right for
another.

It DOES sound right to me.