Lengthening, of Enchantment of the Seas!

Old August 1st, 2004, 02:04 AM
joyce1155

Default Lengthening, of Enchantment of the Seas!

Subject: Lengthening, of Enchantment of the Seas!

Benjamin Smith wrote:

In light of recent discussions, this is certainly an undesirable change.
Most of what's being added into these 6,500 tons of space (e.g.

over
300 passengers, extra fee restaurant and coffee bar, "art gallery") are
cookie cutter, revenue enhancers. Another beautiful ship hits the dust.

The enchantment is a beautiful ship and I commend RCCl for updating her. they
really didn't have to..The enchantment is the best ship out there doing the
shorter cruises and she sails quite full most of the time, alot of groups book
her. The extra space gives passengers more entertainment and dining options, I
hope they add a seaview cafe/johnny rockets, too.. I will be sailing on her Nov
4th & sailed on her last october. and hopefully will sail the enchantment after
her expansion.

Old August 1st, 2004, 02:09 AM
Tom & Linda

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , Tom &
Linda wrote:

They're pretty close to Panamax. Stetching would preclude using them in
Alaska, unless they did a "rounding the Horn".

The possibilty is mentioned in the thread that they could hinge the bow
so it would tip back and fit through the canal.

--
Charles

Could they cut the ship the other way?

Add a deck higher? Insert a whole deck of balcony cabins?

--Tom

Old August 1st, 2004, 02:09 AM
Tom & Linda

"Charles" wrote in message
d...

Old August 1st, 2004, 02:16 AM
E.k.R.

"Tom & Linda" wrote in message news:tpXOc.16780
Could they cut the ship the other way?

Add a deck higher? Insert a whole deck of balcony cabins?

--Tom

I don't think that has ever been done to an existing cruise ship. I believe
there are major stability issues at hand when adding another deck.

A lot of studies were done to the Spirit Class in order to have five full
decks of balconies above the Promenade Deck. This meant making the decks
more narrow so they could have five instead of the usual four balcony decks.

The same was done with CARIBBEAN PRINCESS, but since the ship is already so
wide I believe there was not a problem in adding the extra deck. Even so,
I'm sure extensive studies were carried out to ensure the integrity of the
ship.

Ernie

Old August 1st, 2004, 02:22 AM
Stella Liebeck

E.k.R. wrote:

I don't think that has ever been done to an existing cruise ship. I believe
there are major stability issues at hand when adding another deck.

Didn't Norway (nee France) have two decks added above the existing
decks? Of course' she was built for the transatlantic run and naturally
had much reserve stability.

Old August 1st, 2004, 02:34 AM
E.k.R.

"Stella Liebeck" 127.0.0.1 wrote in message

Didn't Norway (nee France) have two decks added above the existing
decks? Of course' she was built for the transatlantic run and naturally
had much reserve stability.

You are so right!!! I forgot all about NORWAY. I can only surmise her
extensive width to length ratio was enough to support the extra decks. No
doubt they were also made of a light weight material like aluminum.

I can't believe I forgot the beautiful NORWAY. I sailed on her four times,
and much preferred her without those ugly extra decks.

Ernie

Old August 1st, 2004, 02:37 AM
Tom & Linda

"E.k.R." wrote in message

[...]

On one of the TV shows, they said that a lot of stuff on the upper decks of
Voyager class ships are made of aluminum. Maybe they could do the same on
Century class ships. Slice off the pool deck and sun deck, and add 3 new
decks made of aluminum.

Old August 1st, 2004, 02:38 AM
E.k.R.

E.k.R. wrote:

I don't think that has ever been done to an existing cruise ship. I

believe
there are major stability issues at hand when adding another deck.

Now that I think about it, QE2 had some decks added as well. It seems what
is different about NORWAY and QE2 as opposed to say CARIBBEAN PRINCESS, is
that the decks added were not the full length of the ship. Both were in the
forward section of the ship. In the case of NORWAY, one of the decks
already existed, but it was enclosed the full length of the ship and cabins
were added. Another deck was added on top of that in the forward section.
At least that is what comes to mind off the top of my head.

Ernie