An ethnic group with an unusual tradition?

Old February 11th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Adriano

Default An ethnic group with an unusual tradition?

Hi friend, you are right, I think I have explained badly with my bad
english. I know well South America and Extreme East. From many yeras I
go there.
I know many rituals and their traditions. I'm a solitary traveller
because I don't like to disturb too much that people.
Now I'd like to know the Africa and I'd like to know some unusual
tradition. I'd like to take a short documentary about them.
I'm also looking for ceremonies that will puzzle outsiders and
colorful looks.
I don't know as you judge me. What does it matter?
It is important I'm tranquil with my conscience.
bye Adriano

Are you looking for ceremonies that will puzzle outsiders ? Colorful looks
for a nice National Geographic report ? Traditions beyond the
comprehension of the average American ? Social organizations different
from what European conventional wisdom consider normal ? It is all very
relative. Unusual from whose perspective ? From the average pygmy's
perspective, white backpackers are an interesting ethnic group with a very
unusual tradition in Africa. If you look well enough from some
perspective, any ethnic group anywhere in the world has his share of very
unusual traditions...

Old February 12th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Jean-Marc V. Liotier

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:11:53 +0000, Adriano wrote:

Hi friend, you are right, I think I have explained badly with my bad
english.

Your English is fine but your question was too broad to get a precise
answer.

I know well South America and Extreme East. From many years I
go there. I know many rituals and their traditions. I'm a solitary
traveler because I don't like to disturb too much that people. Now I'd
like to know the Africa and I'd like to know some unusual tradition. I'd
like to take a short documentary about them. I'm also looking for
ceremonies that will puzzle outsiders and colorful looks.

It all depends on time, budget and customers. Who do you want to show/sell
your documentary to ? Is it something you do for yourself, or is somebody
going to buy it ? Are you completely free to choose whatever you want to
study, or is there some editorial control over your work ? Those are
important questions : for example, if you are doing something for your own
enjoyment or for an academic institution, you may want to focus on some
unspectacular but meaningful subjects that will advance knowledge in a way
that matters to you. If you need to shoot a tame documentary for a
mainstream media outlet, a well known unusual colorful ceremony might be a
better, easier and more lucrative subject and you will end up shooting one
of a hundred practically identical documentaries. Shooting those may only
require a few days work whereas getting to know the secret rituals of a
relatively unknown remote tribe may require months or years of work.

These is really an incredible array of choices, so it is hard to give a
decisive answer to your question.

Here is a book I have at home and that might help answer your question :
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

African Ceremonies
by Angela Carol/Fisher Beckwith

"By a recent count, the continent of Africa comprises some 1,300 cultures.
Some of them number millions of people, some only a few families; some are
thriving, while others are in danger of disappearing, the victims of
acculturation or, in extreme cases, of genocide. This diversity--and the
dangers to it--is little known outside Africa. Photographers Carol
Beckwith and Angela Fisher highlight both matters in African Ceremonies,
an extraordinary two-volume collection of some 850 full-color images. The
two artists have traveled to almost all the continent's 53 countries in
the last three decades, documenting traditional tribal life in earlier
books and articles for National Geographic, among other publications. Here
they focus on the religious customs of several dozen peoples, combining
stunning images with well-written essays to illustrate the enduring power
of traditional beliefs."

It is quite pricey, but the pictures are well worth it.

I don't know as you judge me. What does it matter? It is important I'm
tranquil with my conscience.

I'm not judging anyone : I just like questions that come with some
explanations...