PASSPORT QUESTION

Old September 9th, 2003, 06:14 PM
Screenwriter135

Default PASSPORT QUESTION

Someone recently told me that the only way for a U.S. citizen to obtain a
passport is through the mail, as opposed to getting it in person. Also, it's
now necessary to submit your birth certificate at the time of application;
it'll be mailed back you you when you get your passport in the mail. It just
seems like the potential for loss regarding an important document like a birth
certificate, is great. Is this the proper procedure?

Old September 9th, 2003, 06:51 PM
Mike Cordelli

You can still get it in person at a passport office, but usually only if you
are traveling within the next two weeks. Full information is at the website
in the last reply, click on the office to see if they have the requirement
or not. Most, if not all offices, have gone to an appointment system for
applications and the rest, you can't just show up anymore.

There are still over 5,000 places you can present your application in
person, full list is at http://iafdb.travel.state.gov/ , post office, county
clerk, etc.

Old September 9th, 2003, 06:53 PM
mrtravel

Screenwriter135 wrote:

Someone recently told me that the only way for a U.S. citizen to obtain a
passport is through the mail, as opposed to getting it in person. Also, it's
now necessary to submit your birth certificate at the time of application;
it'll be mailed back you you when you get your passport in the mail. It just
seems like the potential for loss regarding an important document like a birth
certificate, is great. Is this the proper procedure?

Why not go to the State Dept website and see for yourself?
You must present yourself in person to an official location.
Where I live, it is the City Clerk's office. They are the ones the look
at the documentation.

Old September 9th, 2003, 07:34 PM
DALing

oh, you CAN get it in person, but you probably would be saving time to have
it mailed. In those cities which have a passport office, you need to make
an appointment (and that can be longer than just mailing and waiting) - at
least that's the way it's done in Seattle

Old September 9th, 2003, 07:37 PM
DALing

while the link is explicit, I don't think that was what they meant - "apply
in person" means at "an entity authorized to submit the documents" - in my
case I applied at a city hall and had the clerk submit the paperwork. I
thought they meant "walk-up service"