A Travel and vacations forum. TravelBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » TravelBanter forum » Travel Regions » Europe
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Can some advise best way to call USA from Europe



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 2nd, 2009, 04:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike[_35_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Can some advise best way to call USA from Europe

In the next few months we will be in Europe for ten days traveling in
Ireland and Spain. What is the best, most convenient and cheapest way to
call back to the USA? I
would also appreciate the names of telephone providers that worked the best.
With my luck I would make the wrong choice selecting one from the companies
advertising on the net.
Thanks


  #2  
Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
PeterL
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,471
Default Can some advise best way to call USA from Europe

On Apr 2, 8:49*am, "Mike" wrote:
In the *next few months we will be in Europe for ten days traveling in
Ireland and Spain. What is the best, most convenient and cheapest way to
call back to the USA? I
would also appreciate the names of telephone providers that worked the best.
With my luck I would make the wrong choice selecting one from the companies
advertising on the net.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Thanks



Skype.
  #3  
Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,125
Default Can some advise best way to call USA from Europe

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 11:49:34 -0400, Mike wrote:

In the next few months we will be in Europe for ten days traveling in
Ireland and Spain. What is the best, most convenient and cheapest way to
call back to the USA? I
would also appreciate the names of telephone providers that worked the
best. With my luck I would make the wrong choice selecting one from the
companies advertising on the net.
Thanks


It depends on what technology is available to you.

Skype is free and if you've got a 3G phone it should work ok.


--
William Black
  #4  
Old April 2nd, 2009, 08:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,483
Default Can some advise best way to call USA from Europe

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 17:58:44 +0000 (UTC), William Black
wrote:

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 11:49:34 -0400, Mike wrote:

In the next few months we will be in Europe for ten days traveling in
Ireland and Spain. What is the best, most convenient and cheapest way to
call back to the USA? I
would also appreciate the names of telephone providers that worked the
best. With my luck I would make the wrong choice selecting one from the
companies advertising on the net.
Thanks


It depends on what technology is available to you.

Skype is free and if you've got a 3G phone it should work ok.


Or if you are taking a laptop, install Skype and call the USA
from any WiFi hotspot, maybe even your hotel room. You'll need to
prime the pump by depositing ten bucks with Skype, but it will
last a long time.

When we were in London a few years ago (without Skype) we finally
decided that calling from a London phone booth for 20p a minute
was simple and easy. It's a bit dear compared to Skype at only
about two cents a minute, but a one pound call got us five
minutes, and we're not calling back to the USA for long-winded
chats.

Do avoid some ploys like phone cards that start out with a two
dollar connection charge, or that charge a dollar a minute. I've
had nothing but grief trying to use phone cards I bought in
Europe

--
************* DAVE HATUNEN ) *************
* Tucson Arizona, out where the cacti grow *
* My typos & mispellings are intentional copyright traps *
  #5  
Old April 2nd, 2009, 08:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,591
Default Can some advise best way to call USA from Europe


"William Black" wrote in message
...
On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 11:49:34 -0400, Mike wrote:

In the next few months we will be in Europe for ten days traveling in
Ireland and Spain. What is the best, most convenient and cheapest way to
call back to the USA? I
would also appreciate the names of telephone providers that worked the
best. With my luck I would make the wrong choice selecting one from the
companies advertising on the net.
Thanks


It depends on what technology is available to you.

Skype is free and if you've got a 3G phone it should work ok.


I had to read this three times to realise that your weren't saying that
using Skype on his 3G phone would be free.

If he has a GSM phone it will work, but it's likely to cost a dollar per
minute in roaming charges.

tim


  #6  
Old April 2nd, 2009, 08:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,483
Default Can some advise best way to call USA from Europe

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 12:47:40 -0700, Hatunen
wrote:


Or if you are taking a laptop, install Skype and call the USA
from any WiFi hotspot, maybe even your hotel room. You'll need to
prime the pump by depositing ten bucks with Skype, but it will
last a long time.


[...]

I should probably point out that with Skype and a WiFi hotspot
you can also call ahead to reserve rooms in your next destination
and or to contact European relatives, or whatever, and for that
same approx two cents a minute.

--
************* DAVE HATUNEN ) *************
* Tucson Arizona, out where the cacti grow *
* My typos & mispellings are intentional copyright traps *
  #7  
Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,125
Default Can some advise best way to call USA from Europe

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 20:52:09 +0100, tim..... wrote:

"William Black" wrote in message
...
On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 11:49:34 -0400, Mike wrote:

In the next few months we will be in Europe for ten days traveling in
Ireland and Spain. What is the best, most convenient and cheapest way
to call back to the USA? I
would also appreciate the names of telephone providers that worked the
best. With my luck I would make the wrong choice selecting one from
the companies advertising on the net.
Thanks


It depends on what technology is available to you.

Skype is free and if you've got a 3G phone it should work ok.


I had to read this three times to realise that your weren't saying that
using Skype on his 3G phone would be free.

If he has a GSM phone it will work, but it's likely to cost a dollar per
minute in roaming charges.


3G PAYG cards cost about £6 in the UK.

They come with a reasonable sized lump of data free.


--
William Black
  #8  
Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Joe Makowiec
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 88
Default Can some advise best way to call USA from Europe

On 02 Apr 2009 in rec.travel.europe, Hatunen wrote:

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 12:47:40 -0700, Hatunen
wrote:


Or if you are taking a laptop, install Skype and call the USA
from any WiFi hotspot, maybe even your hotel room. You'll need to
prime the pump by depositing ten bucks with Skype, but it will last a
long time.


[...]

I should probably point out that with Skype and a WiFi hotspot
you can also call ahead to reserve rooms in your next destination
and or to contact European relatives, or whatever, and for that
same approx two cents a minute.


You could also point out that if the party being called has Skype on a
computer, the call is free.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Email: http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe
Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/
  #9  
Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Piero
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 99
Default Can some advise best way to call USA from Europe

Mike ha scritto:

In the next few months we will be in Europe for ten days traveling in
Ireland and Spain. What is the best, most convenient and cheapest way to
call back to the USA? I
would also appreciate the names of telephone providers that worked the best.


I have an account with a VoIP provider that let me call in many
countries (including USA and Italy, my country) for almost nothing.

I use http://www.voipstunt.com

But the same (Swiss based) company (named 'Betamax' like old VCR tapes)
have many other similar services with slightly different tariff plans:

http://backsla.sh/betamax

or

http://progx.ch/home-voip-prixbetamax-3-1-2.html

It works by a small program like Skype on a PC or on any standard SIP
device, like new Mobile Phones, VoIP ATA, VoIP phones.
The drawback is that to call you need a WiFi or cabled Internet
connection, or a high priced 3G Internet connection.
I phoned home for free almost every day wen I was in USA on August 2007
on a 20 days vacation with my E65 Nokia mobile phone.
Many US hotels and motels have free WiFi.
You will find less similar hotels in Europe :-(.
Many have only a WiFi web connection (with paid tokens or cards and
login forms), not a true Internet connection, so no VoIP.
The iperadvertised and ubiquitous Skype is far worse, because you can
call for free only another PC.
With my providers you can call every normal phone number, and also, for
some country, also mobile number for free.
I use it also at home: I will charge 10 euros and the amount lasts for
at least 6 months (you have 4 months of free calls and after, until you
will recharge, 1 cent/minute) and my wife talks very much (both at the
phone and not...).

Ciao, Piero.
  #10  
Old April 3rd, 2009, 02:18 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,483
Default Can some advise best way to call USA from Europe

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 21:23:12 +0000 (UTC), Joe Makowiec
wrote:

On 02 Apr 2009 in rec.travel.europe, Hatunen wrote:

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 12:47:40 -0700, Hatunen
wrote:


Or if you are taking a laptop, install Skype and call the USA
from any WiFi hotspot, maybe even your hotel room. You'll need to
prime the pump by depositing ten bucks with Skype, but it will last a
long time.


[...]

I should probably point out that with Skype and a WiFi hotspot
you can also call ahead to reserve rooms in your next destination
and or to contact European relatives, or whatever, and for that
same approx two cents a minute.


You could also point out that if the party being called has Skype on a
computer, the call is free.


I've found that very few of the people I might call have Skype.
And if they did they would have to be at their computers when I
called. But ya never know....


--
************* DAVE HATUNEN ) *************
* Tucson Arizona, out where the cacti grow *
* My typos & mispellings are intentional copyright traps *
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advise on purchasing car for travel around Europe? Julie Europe 1 May 27th, 2005 01:06 AM
Looking for reccomendations for a quite break in Europe , anyone advise please? Just Wondering Europe 7 May 5th, 2005 01:38 AM
Does anyone have any advise on travelling in Europe when your funds are in a currency weaker than the USD? Max Power Europe 85 March 16th, 2005 10:48 PM
Amateur Traveler seeks Advise about Europe. citizen142 Europe 1 January 23rd, 2005 04:05 PM
Best phone card to call home from Europe? victor voul Europe 2 June 5th, 2004 10:55 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 TravelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.