Kenya safari..

Old January 17th, 2007, 02:23 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Rita Daggett

Default Kenya safari..

I ahve heard a lot of negative things about Nairobi, in particular,

personal
safety.

is Nairobi ** really** that dangerous for someone who is sooo obviously a
tourist???

I rather think it is - or can be! Certainly the last time we were there
(about three years ago I think) it seemed a lot more 'dangerous' than on our
previous visits (many more years ago - first in 1979) when we had walked (in
daylight) quite happily from the Panafric Hotel down to the town, and around
the town, without any worries.
It may have been that this tour operator was 'more careful' but certainly
the mini-bus driver who picked us up from the airport and took us to the
hotel warned us not to open the vehicle windows cos he said people tried to
grab things when the vehicle was stopped at traffic lights etc. And the
hotel warned us not to walk to the Museum; arranged for a taxi, and the taxi
driver arranged a time to pick us up again. The Museum (and snake park!) are
worth visiting. Or you could, of course, spend a few hours in Nairobi
National Park. One time (late 80s?) we hired a car and drove ourselves
around - to Daphne Sheldrick's Animal Orphanage and the National Park. Dont
think I'd do that now.

--
Rita Daggett

Old January 17th, 2007, 08:09 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
[email protected]

Liz Leyden wrote:
In message
"the_niner_nation" niner_nation_sf49ers.com wrote:
I ahve heard a lot of negative things about Nairobi, in particular, personal
safety.
is Nairobi ** really** that dangerous for someone who is sooo obviously a
tourist???

Apparently so - but taxis are cheap :-)
Remember how incredibly rich you are compared to many of the locals.
Some Kenyans I've met don't spend a minute more than strictly
necessary in Nairobi.

TBH, There's not all that much worth seeing in Nairobi:
main options a
Nairobi National Park***** (easily worth a full day)
Karen Blixen House and Giraffe Manor***
National Museum.***
Railway Museum (if you're interested in railways)
Bomas of Kenya (traditional dances performed by professional dancers)
(I haven't been to the last two)

No interesting markets or neighborhoods or architecture?

Old January 17th, 2007, 09:32 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Pat Anderson

In message , Rita Daggett
writes

[...]

We arrived in Nairobi for the first time on November 14th. 1979 and I
and my son lived in the Panafric hotel for three months, Stuart went to
boarding school in the following January whilst I stayed on after that.
During our stay I regularly walked down into town and did so during the
late eighties with no problem as well. We haven`t been to Kenya since
1999 but will go again sometime. I`m still in touch with Nairobi friends
and they still operate as normal but going out in a taxi or car at night
is a must. As for keeping windows closed at traffic lights, yes, that
must be done, I do know of someone who had their necklace pulled off at
the lights.
Interesting to share feed back!
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson
Old January 19th, 2007, 03:21 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Rita Daggett

Rita,
We arrived in Nairobi for the first time on November 14th. 1979 and I
and my son lived in the Panafric hotel for three months, Stuart went to
boarding school in the following January whilst I stayed on after that.
During our stay I regularly walked down into town and did so during the
late eighties with no problem as well. We haven`t been to Kenya since
1999 but will go again sometime. I`m still in touch with Nairobi friends
and they still operate as normal but going out in a taxi or car at night
is a must. As for keeping windows closed at traffic lights, yes, that
must be done, I do know of someone who had their necklace pulled off at
the lights.
Interesting to share feed back!
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson

I must check what time of year we were there! We stayed at the Panafric on
two subsequent visits - the last time it had had a whole new wing added but
the front was exactly the same. Last time in Nairobi (enroute to and from
Tanzania) we decided to go posh and stayed at the Norfolk!

Old January 20th, 2007, 09:58 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Pat Anderson

In message , Rita Daggett
writes
[...]

We have stayed in touch with one of the managers of the Panafric,
Patrick Kimani, all these years, he now runs his own business. The
Panafric had lots of interesting people staying there, "The Flame Trees
of Thika" was being made at that time with the cast staying there, also
there were conferences of Sudanese leaders plus government people etc,
never a dull moment!
I have eaten at the front restaurant with friends and that was changed.
I used to have lunch in the Norfolk, look in the shops and I used to
love the Aviary, which sadly had gone last time we were there. Another
favourite was African Heritage with it`s interesting products and the
Swahili food in the restaurant.
Pat
--
Pat Anderson