Opinions: Point Pleasant Resort, St. Thomas

Old April 5th, 2008, 11:39 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Stefan Patric

Default Opinions: Point Pleasant Resort, St. Thomas

Tentatively planning a solo, 5 night, 6 day trip to USVI this September.
(Yes, I know that's the peak month for hurricanes, but it's the best time
for me, all things considered.) Anyone stayed at Point Pleasant? Looks
like a nice place. Quiet. Secluded. At least one decent place on
property to eat. I intend to mostly relax, catch up on my reading, do a
little sightseeing, etc. Not a night club or party person. So, don't
need to know about them. Not a shopper, either; however, I'll probably
visit those areas just out of curiosity. I do plan to spend one full day
on St. John. May take a day trip to St. Croix, too, if the ferry's
running. I'll rent a car for the whole stay.

Any recommendations to stay other than Point Pleasant would be greatly
appreciated. Never been to Caribbean.

Thanks.

Stef
Old April 7th, 2008, 01:49 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Brian K[_2_]

On 4/5/2008 6:39 PM Stefan Patric plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger
and said:
Tentatively planning a solo, 5 night, 6 day trip to USVI this September.
(Yes, I know that's the peak month for hurricanes, but it's the best time
for me, all things considered.) Anyone stayed at Point Pleasant? Looks
like a nice place. Quiet. Secluded. At least one decent place on
property to eat. I intend to mostly relax, catch up on my reading, do a
little sightseeing, etc. Not a night club or party person. So, don't
need to know about them. Not a shopper, either; however, I'll probably
visit those areas just out of curiosity. I do plan to spend one full day
on St. John. May take a day trip to St. Croix, too, if the ferry's
running. I'll rent a car for the whole stay.

Any recommendations to stay other than Point Pleasant would be greatly
appreciated. Never been to Caribbean.

Thanks.

Stef

How ironic. There's also a vacation spot on the New Jersey Shore (US)
called Point Pleasant Beach. That one is very family oriented with a
boardwalk and kiddie rides.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old April 7th, 2008, 07:30 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Stefan Patric

and said:
[...]

I'm sure their are a lot of point pleasants and pleasant points or bays
or valleys, etc. Besides, already been to Jersey. Plus, I was trying to
find a place well away from the maddening crowds and their screaming,
unruly kids.

Stef

Old April 9th, 2008, 05:29 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Schultz

Stef,

Don't know exactly how secluded this is. It's right along the smith
bay road area. Right next to where the old Renaissance is located.
You are a short drive into Red Hook for some good restaurant choices.
Also a very short drive to Romano's (one of our favorites).

The units there are nice. Can have great views as the resort runs up
the side of the mountain. Can make for a long hike down to and back
up from the beach. I think there are 2 good places to eat. Agave
Terrace, which is at the top of the hill and Funghi's which is at the
bottom on the water.

Having a car will make exploring on your own very easy. Also makes
trying a different beach every day easy to do. A nice way to find
places to enjoy both sun and read in the shade.

Schultz
Old April 10th, 2008, 07:52 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Stefan Patric

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 09:29:21 -0700, Schultz wrote:

Don't know exactly how secluded this is. It's right along the smith bay
road area. Right next to where the old Renaissance is located. You are
a short drive into Red Hook for some good restaurant choices. Also a
very short drive to Romano's (one of our favorites).

I based "secluded" on photos, including a couple of aerials, of the
overall resort, showing it not jammed up next to half dozen other resorts
with 30 story high rises like one so often sees with popular ocean front
tourist properties. Waikiki comes to mind.

Yes, the resort is on a major highway, but well below it, and with all
the intervening flora, any traffic noise is all but filtered out.
"Quiet" was the most used word to describe the resort in the reviews I
read. And that's the most desired characteristic I look for at any place
I vacation.

And thanks for your additional comments.

Stef